• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

I'd like them to keep the sprites 2D. I really hope they do not take a gamble and give us mediocre, crappy 3D sprites.

I thought D/P/Pt handled it pretty well with the graphics. We had 2.5 D graphics which was nice. I suppose they can push it a bit further but a full blown 3D environment, sprites would not look good I imagine. I don't think the DS would be able to handle it.

Well, that's your opinion, so I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I and many others feel that Pokemon Stadium-esque animation was the best Pokemon has looked since, and it really just comes down to Game Freak's feeling on the matter. Also the Magikarp mini game is amazing.

I don't recall which one the Magikarp game was. I haven't played those games since I was like, 10 or 11, before I lost the games.

The Magikarp game was the one where you hit the button in semi-rhythm with yourself to hit the counter. It was monotonous but I was good at it X3

And Frugrow- read page 5. I already provided proof that the DS COULD handle it.

As we have just established, the DS IS capable of better graphics than the N64, as well as massively more cartridge size and processing power.

The DS isn't capable of significantly better graphics than the Nintendo 64. Mario 64 was made when 3D graphics and 64 bits were just beginning to take off, so it looks like crap.

Mario 64 DS was made after years of experience and programming tricks were learned to get the most out of 64-bit graphics were developed. Look at the huge leap in graphics between Mario Bros 1 and 3, for instance, on the same console.

For similar situations, compare Super Mario World to Donkey Kong Country 3. Is DKC3 on a different system? No. It's the same one, people just know how to get more out of it. Compare Mario 64 to Banjo Tooie. Same system, vastly improved graphics that come from experience, not technological development.

With that said, Pokemon V, if it was in 3D, would not have significantly better graphics than Pokemon Stadium 2, which was produced near the end of the Nintendo 64's lifecycle. If anything, it would probably have worse graphics because it would need models for at least 600 Pokemon.
The Nintendo DS has proven it can top N64 graphics time and time again in improved ports, and Pokemon Stadium 2 was a Nintendo 64 game.

Those improvements come from development know-how and graphics tricks. And also from having more development time to devote to graphics since the gameplay development is already done from them. The improvements are not from hardware or base capabilities. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Last edited:
And all those images prove my point about how weird 3D and 2D look together.

And all those images prove my point about how weird 3D and 2D look together.

It can be pulled off in some games. Like Paper Mario for example. Pokemon is one of those many games in which it should nto be done though, no more than the pseudo-3D buildings in D/P/Pt. Pokemon should stick to just 2D

It can be pulled off in some games. Like Paper Mario for example. Pokemon is one of those many games in which it should nto be done though, no more than the pseudo-3D buildings in D/P/Pt. Pokemon should stick to just 2D

*cough* (or go full 3D like Snap and the console games) *cough*

*cough* (or go full 3D like Snap and the console games) *cough*

Full 3D is ok for those type of games, but it just doesn't fit with the style of the main series. the feel and style of the main series would be completely different if switched to 3D, the gaming experience would be completely different. And it would be something a lot of fans, such as myself, would despise.

It'd be like what SEGA did with Sonic the Hedgehog when they tried to make it 3D. I just didn't have the same feel or experience the fans loved so much, which is why the 3D games are viewed so poorly and for the most part are inferior to the classic 2D games. The same thing would happen with Pokemon, but worse.

You do realize Game Freak announced that this/these pokemon game/s was/were going to be revolutionary, correct? Something that stands out. If you ask me, I think near full 3D is possible. Maybe not entirely 3D, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Battle Sprites were 3D.

Also, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are some of the best games in the Sonic series, and most of the later 3D games weren't as bad either (excluding obviously Sonic 06 and Heroes.)

Not to mention the 3D ARTISTS GF was hiring a few months back...

Yes, but they have made spin-offs before, they may make it again, however it's unlikely.

So, what you're saying is that anything is possible and they can do whatever they want because they are game freak.

Um... that sorta kills the point of speculation.

What am I exactly looking at? They haven't made a non-Pokemon game since 1999, and that game doesn't even have a Wikipedia article...

Drill Dozer (2005, Nintendo)

Not that I think they have their attention focused on anything but Pokemon right now, they have done other work.

I really hope the battles never go 3D. In addition to problems with the 3D console games (like the same models from Pokemon Stadium 1 being reused 10+ years later in Battle Revolution, for starters), the 3D in the overworld of Diamond and Pearl was like Final Fantasy VII levels of embarrassing. Plus I like the 2D sprites.

If they go with 3D, I'd hope they try cel-shading and do completely new models from scratch. Leave the N64 crap behind for once.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom