• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

3-d pokemon

The sprites on the 3 ds will just be a step up from black and white. It won't be overly 3D, but the pokemon will have alot more of a 3D feel to them. The way they will move and sway forward, but this won't be for 5 years or so. There isn't any reason debating a video game that isn't even in pre production yet! These are just theories.

It is possible them being in 3d with decent quality though. This is what stadium looked like.
The main thing limiting the DS though, is the tiny screen.

I'd much rather good 2D sprites. then blurry 10 year old quality 3D.

There really is no point in talking about this for the DS because we already see what gen 5 will look like. I really like the animated battles in black and white. In generation six I would much rather crisp 2D Sprites that are well animated then Plastic 3D Models. hold off on 3D battles for now.

At this point 3D will just hold pokemon back. They can animate battles without it, and I'm sure Im not the only one that believes the 3D in gen 4 was unnecessary and distracting. It would have looked much better if they focused on making a high quality 2D world. I do like the depth a 3D overworld added though.

Now that the 3DS was revealed, have your opinions changed on a Pokemon game in 3D in the main series?

Now that the 3DS was revealed, have your opinions changed on a Pokemon game in 3D in the main series?

Not that I was ever against the idea but hypothetically if I were, then I'd say YES.

I would absolutely love a Pokemon game with graphics shown that is capable with the 3DS. It could like I said recently in the Ruby/Sapphire remake, any Pokemon game in that aspect could easily be far superior to any Pokemon game out, even Black/White.

I'd feel sorry for Bulbapedia though because they'd have to change the layout of sprites. In fact I feel for any fansite that may not feel comfortable with pictures, since they usually used ripped sprites. Can't exactly rip a 3D model like a static 2-D sprite.

Edit: Then again the whole 3DS has probably so many capabilities, it might be hard for me to say for certain about a 3D Pokemon game. I mean they could really use something incredibly innovative for a Pokemon game and it probably would be better than simply high end 3D graphics.

I was never against the idea to begin with (in fact I supported a Gen V debut on the 3DS), and this has just made me wish that it had been on that system even more.

The 3DS is likely to launch just a few weeks (possibly a month, or 5 weeks) after B&W come out. With the amazing lineup of launch titles it has, it's now even more guaranteed to overshadow Gen V completely. Although that's pretty much what I expected ever since B&W were confirmed as DS titles.

I can imagine the battle scenes on the 3DS to be absolutely amazing. Plus, it will probably look similar to PS2 graphics or Colosseum.

I'm still iffy about the idea of 3D Pokemon main games. I'm too used to sprites.

But there's just so much potential that I hope the third version is a 3DS exclusive now, so the 3Dfriends and the Spritefriends can all be happy.
That said, I'm totally buying a 3DS whenever I have the funds.
Granted, that'll probably be 1-3 years from now...

Pokemon should be in 3d. After comparing B&W to this, B&W doesn't look so awesome anymore.

I feel like no matter what they would half ass it, reusing the figures from Stadium like they did in PBR for the Pokemon they could. With sprites for the most part they can look as good now as they ever could, so I really think it should stick with that.

Pokemon isn't, never has, nor ever will be a game with a main focus on raising the visual bar. 3D wouldn't look good, just like how PBR doesn't look terribly great. I don't see why people want something that would be lower quality.

Look at muramasa on the Wii, or The World End With You on the DS. These games look much better then most of their 3D counterparts.

2D and 3D both have advantages and disadvantages, and neither are obsolete.

this. have you seen TWEWY? that game is beautiful, and it's in 2d. 2d games are still good and will continue to be good.

now, after seeing the 3ds, i still think we should stick with 2.5d. it looks like a wii or an n64, so the 3d graphics still aren't amazing

this. have you seen TWEWY? that game is beautiful, and it's in 2d. 2d games are still good and will continue to be good.

now, after seeing the 3ds, i still think we should stick with 2.5d. it looks like a wii or an n64, so the 3d graphics still aren't amazing

So Wii graphics aren't that good in your opinion?

they're ok imo. i do think they can use a little polishing.

plus, if i wanted wii graphics i'd play my wii, not my ds

Well, I thought a portable Wii would be a dream come true for Nintendo fans. The ability to play Wii quality games on the go appears to be a good deal. Do you agree?

In my opinion, in the case of Battle Rev. They should have laid off the shininess a bit. For example some pokemon's mouths actually shine instead of be a pit of darkness with a tongue,the whole thing reflects light..wut? Some pokemon can be a bit shiny in appearance,like steel types, but when even their tongues are like that..theres an issue :x just looks odd IMO

If your not interested in a 3 dimensional game, do not buy. However, just like movies, they should make a 3-D AND a 2-D version to fit people who dont like 3-D as well as people who do. I think it is still going to sell to people who hate 3-D games, just because of the new pokemon. I would prefer 2-D over 3-D.

If your not interested in a 3 dimensional game, do not buy. However, just like movies, they should make a 3-D AND a 2-D version to fit people who dont like 3-D as well as people who do. I think it is still going to sell to people who hate 3-D games, just because of the new pokemon. I would prefer 2-D over 3-D.

i have a feeling the game can be shown in 3d en 2d because you have a slider that can turn the 3d completely off

MegaMan Star Force is a prime example of why 3D models would be a bad idea.

3D Environments: Good
3D models: Bad

Unfortunately, for those who appose the idea of a 3D Pokemon game. The chances are higher now with the 3DS. GF could design Gen. VI, where the overworld is in 3D and the Pokemon battles remain 2D.

EDIT: Megaman Starforce are DS games, we're talking about Pokemon main series games on the 3DS, well at least now.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom