• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Minto

Well-Envowled
Reaction score
Posting in the first Pokémon game thread made me think back when my Yellow version was brand-spanking-new and I was a newbie to the franchise. I was so stupid back then!

In the first place, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house. It wasn't like they made it obvious or anything, but my eight-year-old self felt like an idiot when I finally figured it out (after ten minutes).

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.

Anyway, share your own dumb experiences so we can all have a laugh. I can't be the only one this happened to!

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess).

Are you serious? You'd have to defeat about a thousand Pokemon to get that high of a level. I bet the rest of the game was really easy, though.

I can't think of any really stupid mistakes. I did try to find MissingNo for about a long time on Pokemon Yellow before finally giving up.

Whoa. You were stuck in Viridian Forest that long? I think I'd have given up on the game long before that!

My own very stupid experience was when I was 10 and playing Red/Blue. I was in the Silph Co. building and had gotten the Card Key that let me open all the doors in the building. I was chuffed. One thing - I didn't know how to use the key. I kept ramming my character into the doors, wondering why they didn't open. I even paid my friend to play the game and work it out for me (she never got round to doing it). Then, two months later, I went up to a door, and accidentally pressed the A button. And..... THE DOOR OPENED!

I've made some other pretty silly mistakes, but this one has got to be the best.

Are you serious? You'd have to defeat about a thousand Pokemon to get that high of a level. I bet the rest of the game was really easy, though.

Entirely serious. o_x I was in there for weeks (might have been months, actually) leveling up with Caterpies and Pidgeys. I don't really know why I didn't give up, but the rest of the game was a piece of cake.

Ramming into the doors is some kind of awesome. Besides, it makes sense. Usually if you shove something long enough it opens :p

Ramming into the doors is some kind of awesome. Besides, it makes sense. Usually if you shove something long enough it opens :p

Unless you shove it from the wrong side.. but:

On my first play through of Sapphire it took ages but I eventually managed to get to the point of the cave of origin and got to battle Kyogre and since I have never seen it before I defeated it, only then did I find out from a friend you could catch it T_T well I never knew about legendary pokemon much then.

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.

Wow, I was not that bad, I got lost for two weeks, and kept fainting my pokemon so I kept having to go through that place again, in Yellow. I thought about throwing the game away, but in FR, it was a lot easier to get through.

Wow, I was not that bad, I got lost for two weeks, and kept fainting my pokemon so I kept having to go through that place again, in Yellow. I thought about throwing the game away, but in FR, it was a lot easier to get through.

I always think it's easier when it's in color. :p

In Crystal, I didnt know about the radio tower quest and I kept talking to the old guy in front of the gym every day for a whole month.
When I finally DID go to the tower I spent another month looking for the director :p

After catching the red Gyrados and meeting Lance, I watched him fly away to take on Team Rocket. I thought, "Oh, I should go help him." I wandered all of Johto for 3 weeks looking for the guy (I kept thinking he was in Goldenrod because of that rocket outside the Radio Tower) Imagine my surprise when I stopped off in the mart in Mahogany to get supplies and Lance had been having a three week fight with the guy in the store.

Another time... I didn't know how to use Flash, so I went into the whirl islands without dig or an escape rope. I got lost, really fast.

I also, and am sorry to say, that I once met Monica in Olivine (a monday actually) and got her item. However, my batteries died and I went back the next day. Well, I couldn't find Monica and ran all over Olivine trying to find her, thinking I had got the location wrong. Now you know why I like Olivine so much. This was the same time as me trying to solve the heal the Amphoros quest and not having a clue as to what I was doing.

After that, I got better at the games. The Internet and players at school helped out a lot.

Not sure if this counts or not but when 3rd gen came out, I deluded myself into thinking Carvanha and Sharpedo were nothing to each other. My reasoning, a Piranha can't evolve into a shark, so I thought they were like Zangoose and Seviper (Pokemon that can't evolve or aren't evolved from something). Imagine my shock when Carvanha got to the right level. I released my caught as is Sharpedo because of that and kept my new Sharpedo.

Last edited:
I got stuck in Mt. Moon for a week until a friend finally showed me the way out.

"why can't pikachu hit Onix for any damage with thundershock?"
Six Months.

Aha, i blame the Animé for that one.

I speant an innordinate amount of time looking for rock climb in DP.

I actually ended up ringing my GF and forced her to 'net it for me while she was at college aha!

And i dont even have age as an excuse, i was 18!

*Sorry, just realised that this was in a "Gen I-III" section.

Last edited:
Oh, another:

In Pokemon Crystal, I was at the part where I needed the medication for the ampoharos, so I began wandering around Johto to find it. Eventually I ended up at the Lake of Rage, and I found the guy that talked about meditation. Being the not able to read eight year old that I was, I thought he was saying medication. I so I kept looking around him and talking to him expecting something to happen.

In Ruby, I didn't know how to get past the guy in Oldale being like I SPOTTED A RARE POKéMON'S FOOTPRINTS!! for a day or two. Then I realized that I was supposed to fight Brendan. XD

And then much later in the game, I couldn't defeat the Elite Four on my first try. My solution? Grind my team to level 70 (somehow. I'm still puzzled by this because it's HARD AS FUCK TO GRIND IN RUBY PRE-E4) and fight it with half of my team "borrowed" from my sister. XD;;; Might not be as uh... 'bad' as the other posts in this thread for the lack of a better word, but it's the only thing I can think of other than some of my Platinum moments.

If GenIV is included.. well, I was kind of playing through it barely knowing any Japanese... so when I beat Byron's gym it took me like an hour to realize that I was supposed to get Strength at Iron Island to get Jun to let me in the library. <_< >_> The disadvantage to playing Japanese games before the US release. THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO INFO FOR ANYTHING. Seriously, playing through Platinum for the little things was fucking hell because there was so little info on it. ;;

The stupidest thing I ever did in a Pokémon game?

Tried to play Yellow before I could read.

I didn't understand battling, I didn't understand leveling up (I thought it was just telling me I had won), I didn't understand overwriting attacks (I lost ThunderShock!), and I thought the nurse was telling me that Professor Oak was going to need my Pokémon after I finished the game (you know, I read "OK. We'll need your POKéMON." as "OAK may need your POKéMON.").

The second-stupidest thing I did was trained Cyndaquil in Silver. Yes, training in and of itself is not a bad thing, but I focused solely on Cyndaquil (level 91 Typhlosion for the win!).

By the time I reached Indigo Plateau, my Typhlosion (then level 70 or 80 something) was the only Pokémon I had that was capable of battling. So I had to trade some of my Red Version Pokémon into the cartridge. Now we understand why the National Dex is unavailable until AFTER the League has been defeated from FireRed and LeafGreen onward.

My third-biggest mistake? I thought Red was Ash, the first few times around. Thank God we have Bulbapedia to clear these things up!

And my fourth....lately, I'm always rushing. I can't seem to train right anymore, I'm always rushing. I always wanna just blow through the campaign so I can get working on my Pokédex already!

That has proven to be my downfall several times now. Because, now I'm stuck in Ruby Version trying to train my Linoone and Mightyena to take on Tate and Liza, and I'm stuck in Diamond Version trying to train a Murkrow to take on Fantina. I guess I got the whole AIHS (Always In a Hurry Syndrome) from my mother.

eh, no worries. I do that a lot. Actually, I try to avoid trainers. Another stupid thing on my part.

I severely doubt the authenticity of you raising your Pikachu up to level 81. No 8 year old has that kind of attention span...you'd have to kill thousands of Pokemon.

I severely doubt the authenticity of you raising your Pikachu up to level 81. No 8 year old has that kind of attention span...you'd have to kill thousands of Pokemon.

Erm. Plenty of eight-year-olds have that kind of attention span. It might not be average, but it happens. :/ A lot of people have obsessive, addictive personalities. It happens.

Besides that, I have no motivation to lie about something like that. It's an embarrassing "Haha, that was stupid" thing that I can gain an astonishing.. nothing from. Figure that one out.

Don't insinuate that I'm a liar. It's really fucking rude.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom