• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Alola Variant Pokemon: Thoughts and Predictions

Favourite Alolan form so far?

• Total voters
Well I mean, you're free to see it that way, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Certainly not something actively offensive; they're not obligated to make every Pokémon available to you now any more than they were when they made Espeon and Umbreon unobtainable in FRLG even though you could obtain Eevee. In fact, compared to that, Alola Forms are at least supposed to be new interpretations of old Pokémon, and I think some of them changing to become perma-NFE is a viable method of differentiating them from their counterparts - it's a better excuse than "time just doesn't exist in Kanto."
Looking at Golbat and Chansey being unable to evolve before getting the National Dex, it's clear that FRLG were trying too hard to be strict remakes in every sense of the phrase. It's partly why I flocked to HGSS's approach. But they're irrelevant right now.

Honestly, most of my problems would be solved if they'd just announce some way to get the older variants in Sun and Moon. Even if it's in a post game location similar to the Friend Safari. The absence of such a thing right now is like a hole.

I'm not all that worried about certain forms of pokemon being unobtainable. Since Wonder Trade exists there's always a chance you'll get a pokemon you'd otherwise never get your hands on.

Personally, I don't think they'll have Rattata and Meowth unable to evolve in their Alola forms. That'd be a waste to not give us an Alolan Persian and Raticate. With their new typings they could be so cool!

Speaking of stat distribution, it feels likely to me the variants will share the BST of the original---but do you think they'll take it further where the variants have the same set of numbers, just rearranged? I've been making some of my own variant Pokemon for fun and I went with that rule and it was neat to see how to shape a Pokemon differently with that limit in place instead of just going completely crazy and making it basically a different Pokemon.
Well, the official site says that Snowslash is slower than a Sandslash due to the ice weighing it down, making it probable that the base stats are different in some way.

I am pretty confident that all alola form pokemon will evolve except for those like Farfetch'd or Dunsparce if they get alola forms.

I'm not all that worried about certain forms of pokemon being unobtainable. Since Wonder Trade exists there's always a chance you'll get a pokemon you'd otherwise never get your hands on.

Personally, I don't think they'll have Rattata and Meowth unable to evolve in their Alola forms. That'd be a waste to not give us an Alolan Persian and Raticate. With their new typings they could be so cool!
Alolan Raticate is pretty much confirmed because Rattata favor text. Alolan Persian, however is still...

Well, the official site says that Snowslash is slower than a Sandslash due to the ice weighing it down, making it probable that the base stats are different in some way.

Most definitely. But what I meant was if Game Freak will still keep the numbers, but re-arranged rather than just having the same overall BST but doing whatever with the individual stats beyond that.
Like regular Sandslash is 75/100/110/45/55/65...imagine if Ice Sandslash is 65/110/100/75/55/45

Honestly A-Raticate is more or less what I visioned it'd be and it makes so much sense given what we knew from Ratatta and Gushoos. I mean,The Godfather is a powerful figure but it's not because he looks like Schwarzenegger, y'know?

Alolan Raticate makes normal Raticate look lean.

It's also pretty funny that it naturally has a type advantage over Raichu in Alola. Something about the franchises mascot's evolution being weak to a Com Mon makes me chuckle.

I love alolan raticate, I knew it would be gr8 the instant alolan ratatta was revealed and I'm not disappointed. A chubby rat mob boss who's constantly hiding out from detective mongooses, heh. Color scheme is a billion times better than vraticate's as well, only issue I have is that it doesn't have a sweet stache like I thought it would going off ratatta's design, but oh well.

Sucks that it will be losing speed, but the doubtless addition of bulk is welcome, plus STAB sucker punch always helps with that issue.

Maybe it's just me or maybe it's just a coincidence, but I really feel like Alolan Raticate was meant to reference Ratatouille. It lives in urban environments, only eats high calorie/high-class foods, and helps chefs in restaurants by taste-testing the food. Either way, I love how the Alolan Rattata family differs so much from the original variant.

I figured that an Alola Raticate would be pretty ugly since the original form was ugly to begin with.

It'll grow on me eventually.

I figured that an Alola Raticate would be pretty ugly since the original form was ugly to begin with.

It'll grow on me eventually.

I think it's actually surprisingly cute, though that may partially be because it bears a striking resemblence to my girlfriend's guinea pig (bar the rat tail).

I expected something far more ugly and slovenly.

Heh, just yesterday I said they could make Raticate fat... Gluttony was a clue after all.

It looks good though and is a fun design with the stuffed cheeks. Might be my favourite Alolan design so far.

I can't say it's exactly what I'd expected. I mean, the chubbiness wasn't a big surprise, but I hadmt exprcted it to look so scruffy, cause a-rattata looks pretty groomed (might just be because of the moustache)

Edit: I also just realised what it reminded me of. It looks just like the furby I had when I was a kid

you know what would be dope? If you can actually go into faticate nests and scope out their leaders. Like playing cop, as a sort of subquest. I had a similar desire for gumshoos and some sort of shoddy pokemon detective facility, but that idea seems even less likely...

Back
Top Bottom