• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I the only one that doesn't see what's so great about Gen 2?

Well I did like the legends 9with their whole Mario bro typeish arguements over who's better) and that starters (because they were cute next to the Kanto ones) besides that the music wasn't too bad but I do prefer the original Kanto battle themes over the remaded one they should've left it as the R/B/Y music for memories sakes :)

Last edited:
I used to believe that the 2nd Generation was the best, but when HGSS was about to be released and I started to remember more about it, I found myself liking it less and less. After playing HGSS, a lot of things I found annoying about GSC were brought back to my attention. I could never hate a Pokemon game, but GSC may be my least favourite. Especially since I've developed a new appreciation for Pokemon Platinum.

Saying that, GSC deserves a lot of the praise it gets. Breeding, Genders, Time, Sp.Atk/Sp.Def and so much more features that really made the game that much more immersible than RBY. Playing it for the first time after experiencing Gen III/IV, there is no way you could experience GSC the same way as playing it when it came out.

Which brings me to HGSS. Now that all those bells and whistles are old hat, it revealed to me what I disliked about the games;

- The level curve. The absolute worst part of these games. An Elite Four that barely reached Level 50? I know why it was done, but it could've been better, and there is no excusing trainers that have levels barely in the '30s on the way to Victory Road.
- Kanto. Once the nostalgia is gone, it becomes clear what a massive waste of space the region is. I found myself lacking the motivation to complete it. Kanto needed a plot.
-By the time I've left Ecruteak, the plot moves too quickly. The game itself stops being interesting once I've caught Sudowoodo.
-Johto is such a tiny region. Blackthorn City is pitiful.
-Johto's Pokemon. First of all, I just plain don't like the look of most of them. I can't understand how people can bash Gen III/IV's Pokemon and think that Johto's Pokemon are okay. It doesn't matter, though, as using Johto Pokemon in your team while travelling through the region itself is a difficult task, seeing as you can't find them anywhere! Kanto Pokemon are everywhere, while Johto Pokemon are so rare that finding them is near impossible. It doesn't matter again, though, as most Johto Pokemon are unusable.

Gen II was important, it brought things to the franchise that are essential nowadays, but when you take that away from it, GSC just isn't fun.

At least there was a chance of having a offense line (three weren'y too much speed demons in Gen 3 that couldn't learn goo dmoves through exp)

I feel like Gen 2 was when the Pokemon franchise really grew its beard
The graphics improved a lot, we got breeding, we got berries, we got to play through 2 full regions, we got night and day an days of the week, we got the radio. On and on. There was SO much more in GSC than RBY.
They, for a long time, remained my favorite games.

wel i think it had the least pokemon, but they did a lot in that generation

I actually like Gen II more than when I first played Silver version. I didn't hate it then but I don't love it now either. I like it more than Gen I but Gen III anf IV are much better than Gen II.

Hoenn was my favorite region.

I would really love a remake of the RSE games tbh.

HGSS was good, but people got WAY too obsessed with it IMO. it's still going on, even with black and white confirmed out.

Newer fans hating older generations is almost as popular as older fans hating new generations! Who knew?

Yeah, 2nd post I know, but this is exactly what I wanted to say.

It seems that 'some' older players hate the newer generations because of the new mechanics/pokemon/etc. that stray from the previous generations.

Similarly, players from recent generations going back to play the older generations lose the benefit of the new game mechanics; therefore, it feels more empty to them.

I think that the remakes helped to fix this, though. The most recent remake, HG/SS, modernized the original game. GameFreak remixed the music, added Pokeathlons, the Battle Frontier, GTS, Swarms, etc. making it seem like an entirely new game to new Pokemon players.

~ Generation II IS my favorite generation. It's currently the only game that has TWO regions, introduced breeding, two new types, night & day, and all the stuff that helped to balance the game. I think that the only reason people like Generation I and II that much is because R/B/Y introduced the concept of Pokemon, and G/S/C revolutionized it. As each game is released there is less and less to change about the game, which makes it seem like the newer games are blander than the previous ones.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom