• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Am I wrong for NOT nicknaming my Pokemon?

It's personal preference, no?

I always nickname my pokémon, to the point where I'm kind of sick of the names I give 'em. They just seem so uncommon and useless, but alas, I still do it.

I put this way, if its your game, you could do the hell you want. I never heard anyone complaining about nicknaming or not. I nicknamed name all of mine because I'm such a nerd. Could be from TV references, music, or whatever last name I heard. But sometimes I don't name my legandaries. Most people I know don't nickname theirs anyways.

I nicknamed my Pokemon in Yellow and my friend's sibilings kept renaming them their old names. My nickname themes are combined Japanese words and European/Asian popstars

I rarely nickname Pokémon. I tried to nickname everyone in PMD, but I ran out of ideas fast.

Nicknaming is just weird to me so don't do it. But every is different so what ever fits a persons style.

I name my pokemon only because ALL CAPS LIKE THIS REALLY BUG ME. i'm just picky, sorry.

I use to along time ago. Now I find it hard to think of names and don't really feel like it

I always found it odd to name like.. a Bulbasaur Dennis only to have it say "Bulbasaur" all the time. For the series, though..With the games it makes sense since they just make random noises.

I don't personally nickname my pokemon often. Sometimes I do but usually I don't care for it. I hate getting pokemon in trades with nicknames, though..

I just nickname them if they are going to battle for me in certain places or just to be creative so if you don't nickname yours that's your call

I almost never nickname them xD

I only put a nick to my most favorite pokemon of that version (INFERNRAPE to my fire monkey starter xD)

I nickname mine, because that's how I do it. Names have been a hobby of mine for pretty close to forever, so finding a name to suit each new Pokemon is fun for me. I've used Chinese, Japanese, Finnish, Basque, Swedish, French, Dutch, Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, Native American- wherever I find the right name.

That being said, if you don't want to name them, then don't. I do it because that's how I do it. If it isn't fun for you and it doesn't affect anything, then don't bother.

I absolutely HAVE to nickname my pokemon. It totally bugs me if I don't. To me, it just seems so impersonal if they don't have names. Imagine if you were a...I dunno...a spearow or something. And someone called your name, but your name is spearow. And what if you were in a flock of spearow and your name and everyone else's name is spearow. WTF!?

It's like not naming your cat or dog, and just calling it by it's species name. That's how I view Pokemon names, just as their species name.

But to each his own.

I usually only nickname my contest pokemon - y'know how in ruby/sapphire all the contest pokemon were anagrams of their species? I finally get the hang of it, nickname my skarmory, gligar and weezing Karmas, Glair and Zwing respectively, migrate them into Pearl, and then I find out that the new contest pokemon are called things like 'Sparky'. Boy, was I annoyed. Eurgh. 'Sparky'. *shakes head in disgust*

I never name my pokemon. Its just wrong. lol.

I have no creativity so I would end up naming Charizard "Dragon" or Empoleon "Uber Penguin"

I occasionally nickname my Pokémon, but I fail to see teh evilz of not giving them nicknames. You're given a choice of whether to name them or not, after all.

I have an Electrode named Duracell.

My battling team also all have nicknames.

I nickname Pokemon when they go from lvl 99 to 100

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom