• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Totally casual. Half the time I don't even evolve my pokemon if I think the preevolution is cooler (Gligar!) I'll sometimes breed for natures and if I'm really enthusiastic I'll EV train, but I don't actually battle with them. I'm in it to have fun and train the pokemon I like, not beat someone at a children's card game.

Now I'm a casual player. I haven't battled a human being in months. In earlier stages of my life I loved the competitive environment, however.

Competitive in-game player

I breed my pokémon to be decently competitive, but I don't compete with them. XD; Not sure what to call that. I like seeing numbers rise.
That's about where I am. I try to use strong Pokémon, and I breed them for natures and EV train them, but I still make sure I really like the Pokémon I use. In Generation III I went with Dragonite instead of Salamence because it's cooler, in Generation IV I used a Ninetales even though it's apparently in the underused tier (a Calm Mind sweeper with Will O' Wisp and Fire and Dragon as the only resistances shouldn't be underused, c'mon competitive battlers, be cooler. :p), and I also don't bother with IVs. I have yet to even evolve a Gible into a Garchomp, because I don't like the Pokémon.

Same here. I may not ever competitively battle, but I always strive to be on top of my game. I'll do the whole collection part (hunt shinies, fill pokedex) and I'll even breed for natures and EV train. I do it to fulfill my own gameplay.

I'm both, really. I like playing through the game and going competitive from time to time, but I don't take it too seriously.

I'm a casual player but I do want to become a competitive one sometime. Right now I just have to grind my friends pokemon to 100 and start EV training a pwniefull non uber team.

Casual. I could care less about this IV or EV crap, I raise Pokémon which appeal to me as opposed to all the uber ones everyone seemingly trains, and I know no-one with whom to be competitive anyway.

I'm a casual player. I like to only play with my faves. Competitive is not for me, I've tried and failed.

i'm am doing new breeding strategies in ruby and leaf green teaching rare atacks to pokemon. for instance bagon with hydro pump

I'm a bit of a hybrid. Ever since I learned about natures and the like, i always use those, but I don't IV train and the only EVs I know of are Eevees. (Pun!)

I still raise my faves, but make sure to pick the right natures and occasionally moves for them .

I'm both. I care about competitions a bit, but only from a breeding stand point. Battling is kinda boring to me, but I'll watch them from time to time.

I'm mostly casual, I like playing it to wind down :p

But on Battle Revolution I'm very competitive :p

I would have to say casual, because I can't be bothered with EV and IV training. It's too much of a pain for me to deal with. But I do consider myself competitive in the sense that I spend a lot of time training, studying, and choosing "perfect moves" for my in-game team (as well as what Pokémon should be on my team), but as for EVs and IVs, especially EV and IV breeding. Sorry, but it's not my thing.

I play videogames, for fun and to relax. EV and IV training would just get in the way of that.

I'm mostly casual, but I've tried competitive battling in the past and I do know the basics of what you need to do to avoid failing horribly in competitive scenarios.

For the most part I can't be assed EV training and whatnot, although I've been making exceptions for the Battle Frontier(must. win. all. symbols.) and it's really not that much of a pain since it's really easy to multitask while grinding Fisherman Whatever's 6 Magikarp or the endless stream of Gyarados and Seaking in the pond in Twinleaf or whatever(and it doesn't take that long if you're bright enough to use the power items(or at least the macho brace) anyway).

I do not have the patience to breed/re-catch for IVs. Just...no. Natures...if it's not blatently terrible, like an Adamant Alakazam, I'll be fine with it. I try to make my movesets good, but I am not chain breeding to get moves onto anything, and anything requiring a one-off TM gets a lot of thought first.

I try to use decent Pokemon for anything remotely challenging(so in the Frontier and against actual humans), but in-game I just use whatever I feel like using since it doesn't really matter what you use for anything pre-Battle Frontier.

And I haven't battled other people since the early days of Diamond, because of a combination of lack of interest and (right now) lack of Wi-fi. If I get really, really bored over the summer I might try Shoddy, but that would require me to be really, really bored. "I beat all of the Battle Frontier three times" bored.

I play competitively on Shoddy, but I don't care about my IVs/EVs ingame. I don't want to take the fun out of the game, it's already easy enough without perfect stats and movesets. I don't have time to waste on mindless breeding, and have nobody to play with anyway :x

Semi-competitive. I run an all-flying team without rapid spin support and I don't pay any attention to IVs, but I do EV train.

Casual trainer.=/ I like training and all, not much of an EV or IV trainer though. Just plain training in battles and such.

im casual really

I'm casual I train pokemon like any trainer would, by battling

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom