• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW041: Climactic Don Battle! Emonga VS Dageki!!

with no struggle and no real challenge from her opponent.

Kenyan ordering his Sawk to use Close Combat to counter Emolga's Attract serves as both a "struggle" and a "real challenge" in my view. Iris clearly did not have an easy time battling against her opponent.

It is because Iris's opponent sent out an explicitly male pokemon that she had decided to start out the battle using Emolga's Attract. Kenyan understood this well so he did everything in his power to prevent Sawk from being infatuated. Kenyan tackled this problem in the manner that was expected of his character and training style- through the means of brute force.

Kenyan also ordered his Sawk to use Bulk Up, increasing its attack strength to the point that neither one of Emolga's offensive attacks would inflict any serious damage. The majority of this battle was largely represented by Sawk literally beating Emolga to the ground numerous times with a combination of Close Combat and Double Kick. This battle and match-up were tipped to Kenyan's favor right from the start.

change her strategy or come up with something new, she stills wins.

Sometimes luck plays a huge factor in deciding the result of a battle. Strategy and attack patterns can change, even if ever so slightly, when the tide of a battle shifts in the favor of a specific trainer.

This shift kicked in at the moment Kenyan's Sawk was paralyzed as a result of Emolga's ability. Iris understood that Sawk could not move as quickly now that the pokemon is paralyzed, and in some cases, might not have been able to attack at all. Sawk's fast and precise movements are the keys to his offensive and defensive strengths. If Sawk's movements were disabled in some way, the pokemon would have a difficult time countering or dodging an opponent's attacks.

Iris and her Emolga used Attract in an attempt to wear down their already exhausted and disabled opponent, biding their time until the moment that Sawk was unable to move his limbs either due to exhaustion or due to paralysis. It was during this brief moment of time that Iris ordered her Emolga to use their signature and most powerful technique. Iris won her battle largely due to persistence, added in to the valuable amount of luck and opportunity that she was given because of Sawk's paralysis.

The "lack of strategy" on Iris's part could largely be explained because her Emolga only has a limited set of attacks that could be used in the battle. Almost every single one of Emolga's techniques were countered at the onset of the match. Emolga's speed and agility, which would normally provide her an advantage in battle, are largely subsidized by Sawk's equally impressive reflexes and attacking strength.

Even so, however, it is not a bad thing for a trainer to use brute force and speed in battle rather than employ a unique or captivating strategy in an attempt to throw the opponent off. Based on what we have observed from him so far, Kenyan is known for his fast and powerful moves. He is just the type of trainer who goes all out in the middle of a fight. He doesn't focus on planning two or three steps ahead in the same regard that certain trainers like Cilan or Trip are well reputed for.

Iris is also that type of trainer as well. Iris would go all out against an opponent because she knows that this type of strategy suits her the most. This battle was between two trainers who are impulsive enough to take the other's bait and fight back until the bitter end.

Emolga may have been out of character at the start of the battle, but even this argument could be subsidized because Emolga's abilities can only get her so far in a battle against a powerful opponent. Emolga has proven that she can fight if she wanted to, but she had struggled against larger opponents like Swoobat and Simisear in the past. The writers simply did not factor Emolga's own personality into the formula of this battle. I must add that Iris and her Emolga would have had their backs up against the wall even if the pokemon refused to fight on her behalf at first.

Last edited:
Ok, it was an alright episode to me this tournament isn't THAT good but its alright. I'd say that it gets a little better with each episode.

What pissed me off the most about this episode was how quickly Snivy won the match. I mean they leave us with this huge cliffhanger on the last episode and I was thinking Snivy was going to pull out a new move or evolve for that matter but we just get a dodge, Leaf Blade, traps the opponent once against in the battlefield and Leaf Storm it into defeat. I mean we've seen a cliffhanger that leads to a quick defeat in the next episode; remember Gliscor vs. Paul's Drapion?

Cilan, I'm glad he lost because he spends too much time talking s**t about his opponent and their connection to their Pokemon whether its good or bad, I don't care how nice he makes it sound by using over the top flamboyant talk. He did the same thing to Ash and Miju, but guess what, he lost then too!!

But I did like how the crowd seemed to go crazy when he went "Its Tasting Time!!"

Larvesta was my favorite in that match his electric fish really doesn't strike me as a powerhouse or a Pokemon I see myself catching. Using String Shot to block Scald and Mud Bomb was smart and Cilan pulled an "Ash" card from his battle with Burgh, using the opponents attack to get free from String Shot. Seeing Larvesta "fly" was pretty sweet too. Looks like it was tasting time for Cilan after his Pokemon was turned to fish sticks!

Iris' battle...eh I liked it but only because of how cool they made Swak look. I hate when the writers make a Pokemon only use moves of its type because it used Double Kick, Bulk Up and Close Combat there was no real variety in its moveset.

Swak is the #1 Pokemon so far to use Bulk Up because the animation was just too good to be true it makes me want to catch and raise one myself!

I will say this about Iris' she used a strategy I sometimes use in the games; paralyze a foe and PRAY for it to say "___ is so paralyzed that is can't move!" especially if I'm facing someone faster than I am that I know I can't finish in one move. So, I'm not too mad at her. I guess Volt Switch was like the games if you deal the finishing blow to the last Pokemon your opponent has it doesn't switch out.

Swak breaking down Attract was pretty cool a nice twist that the anime put on a pretty much unavoidable move.

I really hope we don't have to wait so many years until we get a BW soundtrack... That BW Credits Theme arrangement is just beautiful.

Paulisthebest said:
Iris' battle...eh I liked it but only because of how cool they made Swak look. I hate when the writers make a Pokemon only use moves of its type because it used Double Kick, Bulk Up and Close Combat there was no real variety in its moveset.

Swak is the #1 Pokemon so far to use Bulk Up because the animation was just too good to be true it makes me want to catch and raise one myself!

I agree. They definitely made Sawk look awesome in this episode. The animation really helped.

But I'm just desensitized when it comes to these events because it happens too often.

Didn't happen in Satoshi v Cabernet... Didn't happen in Dento v Shooti... Didn't happen in Satoshi v Langley.... Didn't happen in Dento v Luke... Weirdly, it didn't happen in the tournament so far, all the battles had variety and differing strategies, a back and forth between the two trainers, until that battle. Nothing surprising though, it's Iris. Storyline and characterization bend to make her look good, so eh, not surprising, just boring.

It is because Iris's opponent sent out an explicitly male pokemon that she had decided to start out the battle using Emolga's Attract. Kenyan understood this well so he did everything in his power to prevent Sawk from being infatuated.

And it worked, now what does Iris do? Does she rely on other aspects of Emonga like her flying abilities? No. Does she rely on the terrain to help her out? No. She does nothing, comes up with no strategy and waits for the answer to magically come on it own. Which it of course does. Much like how she did nothing to help Kibago master Dragon Rage, or how just waited for Doryuuzu to realize it was wrong on its own, or just waited for Emonga to start listening on its own, which of course, all three happened, magically, without struggle, without any effort.

The struggle I'm talking about is not the problem, it's the trials and tribulations a character goes through to overcome the problem. Iris' methods, Iris' strategies, Iris' skills were not tested here because she didn't try to do anything different to solve the obstacle in front of her. It ultimately changed nothing in Iris, taught her nothing, cost her nothing... therefore... it meant nothing. Struggling to overcoming an obstacle is what makes a character compelling, interesting. Iris didn't do that today.

What was Langley bitching at Ash about when he came to talk to her after the match? Ash just kinda stared at her without saying much.

Uhhhh she was saying how it doesn't really count because he beat her with a non-dragon type...

..but then afterwards she can cabernet were saying about how iris and satoshi were strong, so.
asfjkl OOC IN THE SAME EPISODE? IT'S A REALLY BAD FANFIC

Uhhhh she was saying how it doesn't really count because he beat her with a non-dragon type...

..but then afterwards she can cabernet were saying about how iris and satoshi were strong, so.
asfjkl OOC IN THE SAME EPISODE? IT'S A REALLY BAD FANFIC

I didn't her mention anything about Dragon types to Ash at least.

But yeah, the whole mentioning about Ash and Iris strength just shows that they were the only ones that really mattered in this tournament sadly.

Last edited:
Didn't happen in Satoshi v Cabernet... Didn't happen in Dento v Shooti... Didn't happen in Satoshi v Langley.... Didn't happen in Dento v Luke... Weirdly, it didn't happen in the tournament so far, all the battles had variety and differing strategies, a back and forth between the two trainers, until that battle. Nothing surprising though, it's Iris. Storyline and characterization bend to make her look good, so eh, not surprising, just boring.

You forgot Langley vs. Whatever the Joltik trainer's name is. I'm sure Langley didn't plan for Beartic to squish Joltik in order to win.

Bah! The final part of Sato VS Langley left a little unsatisfactory conclusion. What Langley's Pawniard should have done is try to pry herself out with Metal Claw instead of letting Leaf Storm hit her. We didn't even see what her 4th technique is. All I saw were Metal Claw, Iron Head and Guillotine.

Dento got too distracted to let Luke win like that. Seem to be more rushed this battle.

Iris, well, I'll give her credit for letting Sawk continually use Close Combat many times as its side effect drops all of his defenses per use. Not so sure about Emonga suddenly obeying her trainer as we've known for her to be mischievous and not liking battles until the tournament started.

I can hardly believe this is one of Tomioka's work as it seems this episode isn't one of his best works but still pretty good. Only complaint is Sato busted Langley too quickly here.

This was a good episode again, I liked it as much as the previous Don Battle ones. And, finally, I'm appreciating Natsume as an animator! I never liked them before but this episode looked amazing.

I was happy to see Tsutarja's personality again, loved when it was all "Yeah, that's right bitch" when Satoshi congratulated it for winning the battle. Also absolutely loved when she snapped Cabernet away from the scene with her Vine Whip.

I hate saying this but as much as I still like the Zorua gag and all, I kinda hope Bel and Luke never appear in the same episode after the tournament because I started to get a little tired of it. (Though, I liked the scenes where Bel pushed her face on Langley's chest, it was hilarious).

(Though, I liked the scenes where Bel pushed her face on Langley's chest, it was hilarious).

Credit to CommanderPigg for this lovely gif:

langleybelhug-siggie.gif

A new shipping has been born.

The writers truly know what the fans want to see.

langleybelhug-siggie.gif

Thank you, now I won't be able to get this scene out of my head. <_<

Every time I hear Luke speak, I just expect him to say Shinjitsu wa itsumo hitotsu! (There is only one truth) or mutter an Oi, oi (hey hey) when he gets annoyed or something. After all, Minami Takayama is the voice of everyone's favorite shrunken Detective Conan Edogawa.

On a more related note Langely's loss was so... crappy, I swore their battle would last a little more, but with like 2 attacks, Komatana's down for the count. What a major cop-out. Langely should've won just because of that crappy win.

Dent talks too much. Bel chases after Zoroua too much. People mispronounce Kenyan's name too much (how the hell does he want people to pronounce it anyway Ken-nyaaan?)

These gag's need to stop, it's getting old.

Last edited:
I think people are making a slight oversight. Emolga never was "disobedient", at least not as badly as Charizard or Mamoswine. I believe she genuinely has an affection for Iris, but she's also quite independent. She only likes to battle if she knows she can either win easily or last until the end. Her strategy: use Attract as a softener, then Hidden Power/Discharge, and if she sees that the odds are really stacked against her, she resorts to Volt Switch. However, in this fight, thanks to Iris' keen eye, Emolga now had an advantage once Sawk was tiring out from a combination of Static and weakened defense from overuse of Close Combat. So while Emolga does tend to act for her own benefit a lot of the time, she's technically not a "bad" Pokemon, and for this, I can't really call this an OOC moment.

Good episode overall, the gags are a little old, but still funny I guess.

Also, for those going on about Iris's easy win, Sawk was continuously using Close Combat, which lowers defenses, and he had low defenses to begin with, so taking it down in about 2 hits made sense, at least that's my view on it.

Ash's battle was too short, I mean why leave a cliff hanger if it'll only last 30 more seconds.

Missed this, but alot of people would say that Ash beating Langley was just dumb luck rather than any skill on his part, since Pawniard just happened to land in a way to make it immovable. I think Langley even mentioned something about the field to him before walking off pissed.

Last edited:

langleybelhug-siggie.gif

Jeez, Langley, stop using Belle's face to wipe off a smudge on your shirt!!

Overall, this episode was alright.

Missed this, but alot of people would say that Ash beating Langley was just dumb luck rather than any skill on his part, since Pawniard just happened to land in a way to make it immovable. I think Langley even mentioned something about the field to him before walking off pissed.

I meant the earlier stuff. Using the environement, the rocks, etc.

Yeah, what was the point of making the end a cliffhanger when it ended in the next episode in less than a minute.

The last two episodes also ended on a cliffhanger. Also the 30 seconds at the start of the battle would have given the writers more time with the other two battles in the next episode.

Also, for those going on about Iris's easy win, Sawk was continuously using Close Combat, which lowers defenses, and he had low defenses to begin with, so taking it down in about 2 hits made sense, at least that's my view on it.

Stat increases and decreases are rarely applied in the anime with attacking moves.

The only offensive attack that has been shown to modify in power in the anime after it is used is Overheat, and even then it is only applied each time after the pokemon uses Overheat. The other attacks (i.e. Torkoal's Flamethrower) aren't affected in the same way.

If Leaf Storm doesn't decrease Snivy's Special Attack stat after it is used in the anime (and even the power of the Leaf Storm move itself), I don't see how the argument that Sawk's defenses dropped each time it used Close Combat could be used to "justify" Emolga taking Sawk down in two or three hits.

Stats don't matter in the anime at all.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom