• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW130 - Satoshi and Butterfree! Until we meet again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the award for Most Ugly BW Episode Yet goes to...... BW130!

...Seriously, it's like full-force Takeda and Kinoshita all up in that preview.

In the episode preview for this, did anyone else think that Ash, Cilan and Iris were drawn a bit differently to usual? I know there have been times in previous series where they'd had cheaply animated episodes and better animated ones, but I haven't noticed anything like this in BW until now.

Until now, they've stayed relatively on-model.

tumblr_lpuwj4600y1qhansmo1_500.gif

Really though, BW has been pretty consistent in its artwork. Seeing the characters so off like this is jarring... Or maybe I haven't been watching enough.

Last edited:
I honestly like the idea for this episode:
Ash tries to help a Caterpie evolve into Metapod and then into Butterfree, all the while remembering his own original partner. But what I would actually like to see is Ash's Butterfree have a surprise cameo at the end of the episode. Not as the new Butterfree's parent (although I wouldn't complain about that!), but as the leader of the group of Butterfree, with the Pink Butterfree by his side. He and Ash never see each other, but the new Butterfree describes the trainer that helped him (in subtitled Pokéspeak, of course) and the old Butterfree thanks Ash silently, promising to rejoin him someday.

Maybe the title is a reference that Ash and his Butterfree will meet again, just not now. Maybe this episode is to remind casual viewers that Ash hasn't forgotten. I would love it if the final scene of this episode shows Ash saying goodbye to this Butterfree then we cut to a scene of his real Butterfree flying off in some distant land with the scarf still attached. That way, Butterfree still makes an appearance "in the flesh" not just in flashbacks.

(watches preview)

Looks like a fine episode, but we do know what happens, so it's stupid revealing spoilers like that. It's like the boxart downright revealing a video game's climax.

Also, the animation quality. It's off model in a new level.

I don't really follow the anime but thought I'd check out the preview for the next episode since it involves Butterfree. My reaction after having watched the preview: LMAO! The people behind the anime must have taken a page out of Pokemon Smash's hand-book of trolling! Well done!

The animation director for this is one "Noboru Furuse", who has never been animation director for the series ever before.

The animation director for this is one "Noboru Furuse", who has never been animation director for the series ever before.

Oh No, that give is giving me "Gathering the gang of Four" feels. A AG episode episode with horrible animation. And the animators there have never worked before or after that episode.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Clair turned out not to be the Johto gym leader, but rather a relative of hers or just someone who cosplays as her. It would make the episode more interesting and less gimmicky, right?

No it wouldn't because the cosplayer would just be a cosplayer that would only serve as a reminder than anything emotional.

Nevermind the fact that Caterpie was abandoned by its family, or the fact that a grown Pokémon isn't supposed to stay with its pack forever.

This is the type of show where the theme of forgiveness is repeatedly use. It would be easy to pull off. Not really. A grown Pokemon just doesn't have to stay with its pack. It can stay with it if it wishes.

And yet we're getting this episode.

Yeah...

It would be pretty forced if he did.

Don't see how it would.

So it's unique to replicate Butterfree's highlights?

In a unique way.

The fact that the episode is a callback isn't an excuse, since there are definitely other ways to reference the original Butterfree. If Ash's Butterfree returned, Ash would get to meet its family while Butterfree would be tempted to re-join Ash (which would be justified if most of the offsprings were on the verge of leaving the nest). The plot could still revolve around a lazy Caterpie (Butterfree's offspring) getting into trouble, but instead of evolving abruptly, it would be saved by both Ash and Butterfree. That would make Butterfree realize that its work as a parent isn't done yet, which Ash would understand.

There definitely are other ways, like bringing back Butterfree like you said, but if the writers actually did that, they'd be ruining the life lesson behind Butterfree's departure episode. It was that you have to give up something important to you to make another person happy sometimes, that you won't always have your friend with you. I even honestly doubt Butterfree would even consider going back with Ash and having to "realize" anything. It would just be bad writing, and have way less emotional value to it when Ash's Butterfree would be there with him.

Thinking that it's necessarily a gimmick for an old character to return is silly. It depends on the plot.

You are right, and if Butterfree really came back, it would be a big gimmick harming the meaning behind its departure episode.

No it wouldn't because the cosplayer would just be a cosplayer that would only serve as a reminder than anything emotional.
Clair's return isn't supposed to be emotional. Chances are that she is supposed to impart some words of wisdom on Iris, but a cosplayer could do that even better. After all, the writers wouldn't be restricted by Clair's established characterization; a cosplayer wouldn't have to live under Lance's shadow. That would be very interesting to see, right? It would also give the writers a nice excuse not to showcase Kingdra again.

This is the type of show where the theme of forgiveness is repeatedly use.
Nothing really comes to mind. I do recall several instances where trainers who abandoned their Pokémon were portrayed as villains, though.

A grown Pokemon just doesn't have to stay with its pack. It can stay with it if it wishes.
But why would it want that after getting abandoned and finding a new friend? I doubt that this will be addressed, anyway.

In a unique way.
Not really. We've seen characters experience déjà vu in a blatant way (Dawn's special) and we've seen them bond with Pokémon-du-jour (May and Swalbu; Iris and Deino).

There definitely are other ways, like bringing back Butterfree like you said, but if the writers actually did that, they'd be ruining the life lesson behind Butterfree's departure episode. It was that you have to give up something important to you to make another person happy sometimes, that you won't always have your friend with you. I even honestly doubt Butterfree would even consider going back with Ash and having to "realize" anything. It would just be bad writing, and have way less emotional value to it when Ash's Butterfree would be there with him.
Ruining the life lesson? Just because people choose to go their separate ways doesn't mean that their paths will never cross again. It's been 15 years (perhaps not in-universe, but even the summary says that it's been a long time) and Ash has been traveling the world; the chances that he will eventually bump into Butterfree are not that minuscule. And I absolutely fail to see how acknowledging that Butterfree is happy with its family and that it is needed would detract from anything.

You are right, and if Butterfree really came back, it would be a big gimmick harming the meaning behind its departure episode.
Ash saying "until we meet again" to another Butterfree is the real gimmick here. It doesn't reaffirm Ash's attachment to the original Butterfree at all.

Last edited:
Clair's return isn't supposed to be emotional. Chances are that she is supposed to impart some words of wisdom on Iris, but a cosplayer could do that even better. After all, the writers wouldn't be restricted by Clair's established characterization; a cosplayer wouldn't have to live under Lance's shadow. That would be very interesting to see, right? It would also give the writers a nice excuse not to showcase Kingdra again.

I know... Yeah, and chances are those words of wisdom might have an emotional effect. I guess that could work, and I doubt a cosplayer could do it better. I don't see how it would be a nice excuse not to showcase Kingdra again when they aren't under any obligation to?

Nothing really comes to mind. I do recall several instances where trainers who abandoned their Pokémon were portrayed as villains, though.

There have been instances with forgiving Team Rocket. Yeah, along with there being ones where trainers are sorry for what they did.

But why would it want that after getting abandoned and finding a new friend? I doubt that this will be addressed, anyway.

Because it might want to forgive them and spend time that was lost?

Not really. We've seen characters experience déjà vu in a blatant way (Dawn's special) and we've seen them bond with Pokémon-du-jour (May and Swalbu; Iris and Deino).

We have, but none of those involved actually bonding with the Pokemon that gave said deja vu.

Ruining the life lesson? Just because people choose to go their separate ways doesn't mean that their paths will never cross again.

Yes. That's true, but it was made out to be with the level of emotion put that they would never meet again.

It's been 15 years (perhaps not in-universe, but even the summary says that it's been a long time) and Ash has been traveling the world; the chances that he will eventually bump into Butterfree are not that minuscule. And I absolutely fail to see how acknowledging that Butterfree is happy with its family and that it is needed would detract from anything.

It's incredibly minuscule to the point that it's almost impossible, especially when they would so happen to meet at the same place. No, that won't detract from anything even though Butterfree would have already acknowledged that it was happy before anyway. What would detract the life lesson is Butterfree meeting Ash again.

Ash saying "until we meet again" to another Butterfree is the real gimmick here. It doesn't reaffirm Ash's attachment to the original Butterfree at all.

I can't see how that would be a gimmick either given the background, its differences and interesting plot. What it reaffirms is the emotional effect Ash had, where he'd relive the moments he had with Butterfree, moments that Ash clearly cherished and wanted to last longer being with his Butterfree more. Could these good moments have still made Ash feel good and emotional with his own Butterfree? Yes, they would have, but they wouldn't be as emotional with another Butterfree because the Ash's Butterfree would be with him. Basically, it would be more tear jerking with another Butterfree.

Last edited:
At what point can someone can say "It's official: the producers hate us" :confused:

I suppose that suspicious looking "Sayonara" from the poster is a red herring too...

They really should change the name of the episode title, its very misleading =/
Well, the episode looks like fun and I look forward to at least Ash talking about his and flashbacks.
This wouldn't be the first time we have misleading titles.

But yeah, the flashbacks of this episode could make it as nostalgic as the Charizard memories.

There have been instances with forgiving Team Rocket. Yeah, along with there being ones where trainers are sorry for what they did.
I can't wait until the Butterfree apologize to the newly evolved Butterfree for leaving it behind. Meowth is going to translate their conversation, right? It's so likely to happen.

Because it might want to forgive them and spend time that was lost?
In other words, because the writers don't really want Ash to catch another Butterfree.

We have, but none of those involved actually bonding with the Pokemon that gave said deja vu.
Combining scenarios is hardly unique.

Yes. That's true, but it was made out to be with the level of emotion put that they would never meet again.
Not really. Ash didn't know if they would ever meet again, but he definitely hoped for it.

It's incredibly minuscule to the point that it's almost impossible, especially when they would so happen to meet at the same place.
That place being a faraway island to which Butterfree migrate. The kind of place that Migration Island is, which Ash just so happens to find. I hope you're not one of the people who think it would be a good idea for Ash's Butterfree to be one of those that left the island.

If the writers had cared about realism, they wouldn't have had Ash bump into Cynthia and Dawn just recently. The reunion could have easily been arranged by the characters, but it wasn't. Truth be told, Ash wanting to look for Butterfree on the Decolora Islands would have been a better explanation for this saga than whatever it is that Ash is really doing.

What would detract the life lesson is Butterfree meeting Ash again.
I really don't think that the point of Butterfree's departure was that goodbye is for good. The only thing that applies to is death, and Butterfree didn't die. For the record, most people who complained about nostalgia implied that any kind of fanservice is a gimmick and that the mere mention of Butterfree after 15 years was random. They weren't referring to the likelihood of a reunion.

Yes, they would have, but they wouldn't be as emotional with another Butterfree because the Ash's Butterfree would be with him. Basically, it would be more tear jerking with another Butterfree.
That's assuming that Ash's Butterfree will be the focus of the episode and that the new Butterfree will be nothing more than a reminder rather than a character in its own right. I don't see that happening; it seems to me that Ash is going to add another Butterfree to the list of Pokémon that he wants to see again, thereby diluting the importance of the original Butterfree.

Last edited:
I can't wait until the Butterfree apologize to the newly evolved Butterfree for leaving it behind. Meowth is going to translate their conversation, right? It's so likely to happen.

It's definitely possible and likely.

In other words, because the writers don't really want Ash to catch another Butterfree.

You can put it that way, and there's nothing wrong.

Combining scenarios is hardly unique.

It's unique because it has something new and different attached to it.

Not really. Ash didn't know if they would ever meet again, but he definitely hoped for it.

It was still made out to be that they would never meet again.

That place being a faraway island to which Butterfree migrate. The kind of place that Migration Island is, which Ash just so happens to find. I hope you're not one of the people who think it would be a good idea for Ash's Butterfree to be one of those that left the island.

Yeah, it's possible for them to meet in there, but it's almost impossible that it would be at the same time with all the regions and islands that there are in the world.

If the writers had cared about realism, they wouldn't have had Ash bump into Cynthia and Dawn just recently. The reunion could have easily been arranged by the characters, but it wasn't. Truth be told, Ash wanting to look for Butterfree on the Decolora Islands would have been a better explanation for this saga than whatever it is that Ash is really doing.

It made sense because a glorified tournament was happening in Unova.

I really don't think that the point of Butterfree's departure was that goodbye is for good. The only thing that applies to is death, and Butterfree didn't die. For the record, most people who complained about nostalgia implied that any kind of fanservice is a gimmick and that the mere mention of Butterfree after 15 years was random. They weren't referring to the likelihood of a reunion.

I think that was the point. How do you know that it didn't die? Butterfree has been mentioned twice before in those 15 years.

That's assuming that Ash's Butterfree will be the focus of the episode and that the new Butterfree will be nothing more than a reminder rather than a character in its own right. I don't see that happening; it seems to me that Ash is going to add another Butterfree to the list of Pokémon that he wants to see again, thereby diluting the importance of the original Butterfree.

No it isn't. I'm pretty sure he'll also treat the Butterfree as more than a reminder, and something emotional. Just because he wants to see another Pokemon of the same species again it doesn't mean that it would hurt the importance of the original Butterfree when they're two different Pokemon. I can see how it would if there were plenty of Butterfree, but again, the focus is on Ash's relationship with the Butterfree and how it makes him remember the cherished moments in a compelling manner.

[video=youtube;m2ux9zYbkS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ux9zYbkS0[/video]

Cool I think but Funny that the Ursaring was able to get out of the String Shot.

Is it just me, or is that animation really awful? Look at Satoshi at 0:29 D: His pupils aren't even aligned.

Is it just me, or is that animation really awful? Look at Satoshi at 0:29 D: His pupils aren't even aligned.

It's not "Gathering the Gang of Four!" or "Dawn of a New Era!" level...downright atrocious...in quality, but it's certainly poor in quality.

That being said, Caterpie looks really cool, despite how bad Ash looks.

Oh No, that give is giving me "Gathering the gang of Four" feels. A AG episode episode with horrible animation. And the animators there have never worked before or after that episode.

My eyes still remember the horrible animation in that episode. Painful memories. XD.

That one scene makes Caterpie look like a little chubster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom