• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can ten-year-olds really be trusted?

Yeah definately. As many people have already noticed, children in anime tend to act more mature than their age. So THEY can handle it, even if it's not probable.

Its not so much stealing as it is threatening a defenseless child with monsters.....

How is that "not so much stealing"? :p

It's like pointing a gun at someone's head and say "I'm not going to steal your money, but I'm going to strongly recommend you give them to me".

It would just be second nature to the people in the Pokemon World though. It may seem strange to us, but there, 10 year olds are expected to leave home to go on a Pokemon journey.

True that. If the world were a safer place, I wish they did that with us in our world.

Well if you want to get super realistic, what about years and years ago? People use to die young, so getting married at like...thirteen-years-old wasn't exactly strange considering the timeline. Nowadays we say "Oh, those kids can't get married, they're too immature! They can't handle it!" but what if that was the norm? Kids have been shown to mature much faster if put under the proper circumstances. Plus if getting married at thirteen was normal, obviously the parents would be teaching the kids what they need to know LONG before that. Maybe kids are taught much differently in the pokemon world?

Or, yanno...it could be just to make money.

They're targeting it at children, so they make their main characters children. Same reason why you see other anime with pre-teens saving the world. Realistically that type of junk wouldn't happen under any circumstance, but if your audience is a teenager, you need to make your characters the same age as well.

Also true.

I think we need to back the age up on a lot of things these days. Now yes, it could be a disaster waiting to happen depending on what we'd have kids doing, but I've met a lot of kids older than me who are mentally many years younger.

Remember, this is Japan. This is the land where beer comes from Vending machines and Pachinko is considered law. This is the land where the Gangsters crack down actively on crime while bribing the police to avoid doing anything! THIS IS NOT SPARTA!

honestly, I reckon the ten year olds are fine i mean, we're forgeting they have ther own littel monsters to help them along

honestly, I reckon the ten year olds are fine i mean, we're forgeting they have ther own littel monsters to help them along

But if they don't have the right badges their vicious beasts are disobedient so they won't listen to the command "don't eat me!".

Yeah. They do have the "no Pokemon are evil" thing backing them up. Although people do argue that.

But if they don't have the right badges their vicious beasts are disobedient so they won't listen to the command "don't eat me!".
oh yeah *rolls eyes*, right *screems* pikachu is gonna eat me! get real! have you ever heard of a pokemon eating a human. lets face it, untill the news headlines read : 10 year old found dead and eaten! bulbasaur found to be culprit! we have NOTHING to worry about.

I would be a bit surprised to see a news headline about that considering we don't even LIVE in the Pokémon world (which would be, y'know, difficult...) What you said makes no sense. We don't even get newspapers in the games, so how would we know about that kind of thing? It's simply something Game Freak isn't bothering to elaborate on. Just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean it can't happen.

Considering those events are more often than not without a witness it's no wonder that it's not on the news. The pokémon probably just goes back to being wild and the parents of the child will report him or her missing a few days later. That doesn't mean the case is solved and the whole thing ends up on TV.

Look, this thread is about over analyzing the games to an absurd level. Charizard is fully capable of eating children.

A real human being, would never lead to themselves or animals their owners of. To a situation that they might die in.

The Pokemon world isn't disturbing it's more realistic than ours, and has none of the paranoia towards... the erm here it goes paedophile situation that supposedly exists in the world today.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom