• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Change of Air Date

I never watch episodes live anyway and am self-employed, so this won't affect me too much! do feel for the active watchers who work the standard M-F jobs though, I've seen quite a few people a bit bummed by this possible change on twitter ):

also ty for the explanation @Beatsy Ray, I honestly had no idea about this either. Like Alola, if this ends up being true then I definitely prefer the change!

I guess the people in charge at TVTokyo finally understand that putting Pokemon up against Chibi Maruko-Chan and Suzae-San is a bad idea. But I guess I can't blame them, who would have thought airing a family-friendly anime at the same time as the two most-watched family-friendly anime in Japan would be bad for ratings? /s

(Insert obligatory ratings don't matter to TVTokyo/Pokemon anime will keep on airing argument here; but obviously if TVTokyo is really changing up the time slot for Pokemon again, this shows that they at least care more about ratings then they previously admitted to:sneaky:)

There's also the argument that moving Pokemon out of Golden Time/prime time television (7-10pm weekdays) means TVTokyo believes there are better shows to air during that time; with Pokemon moving back into prime time, maybe that means TVTokyo thinks Pokemon (2019) has the viewership retainment worth it for that time slot.

(Looking at the DVR ratings, shameless plug for my thread here, that decision does make sense as well, given that Pokemon ratings on DVR are at an all-time high since they started keeping records, meaning there are more people, at least more than during XY and SM, on that service tuning in for Pokemon)

But straight after Yokai Watch Jam huh, I guess they might be doing this to see if Yokai Watch Jam and Pokemon can boost each other's ratings. I must say that's not a bad strategy if that's what they're going for, although I still think Yokai Watch as a franchise is a sinking ship not worth salvaging.

On the other hand, what about Boruto? Is that still staying behind on Sunday?

Btw, remember that New Year Special: Pokémon Heisei History: Tuesdays to Thursdays to Sundays? Maybe for the New Year Special next year, they can name the special something like Tuesdays to Thursdays to Sundays to Fridays :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Mr. Super Late Into This Coversation here, coming through!
I hated when they initially changed the timeslot to Sunday, but have gotten used to it over time.
I was comfortable with that Thursday timeslot for the longest time and the switch to Sunday was jarring.
For me, the change to Sunday was a welcome change. I have better computer access on weekends, so editing stuff is easier for me then.
And that's like the 3rd timeslot change? From Tuesday to Thursday, then to Sunday, and now to Friday?
And what did it happen so quickly? The Thursday time slot was in place for about two decades.
If true, it would explain why we haven't gotten any information on the October 4th episode...because there isn't one.
We've had episode announcements with one or two known titles remaining. This is nothing new.

View: https://youtu.be/izCT2zevwyo

Official confirmation of the Pokemon anime moving to Fridays starting October 9th

Thank goodness we're not getting a 3-week hiatus for this timeslot change

Considering JN040 is not yet revealed in any way, I have feeling that it'll be delayed from its original 4th October airing date. Not a big delay, slightly annoying. But hey, if they can go back to longer and more overarching narratives then it'll be all worth it.

Last edited:
Please more two-parters and more battles.

And less Goh Tosleep please.

And more Rockets and less gatchas

BTW we still have that Zapdos episode coming soon isnt it?

My favorite timeslot was when the show was airing on Thursdays but in an earlier hour than now. I remember around a decade ago during early BW saga, I would come home from high school and the episode with subs would be uploaded already. They later changed the time to a later hour on Thursdays, and so the episodes became being uploaded around midnight. Sometimes I would watch the show with lazy eyes and half conscious. Also, I never enjoyed the Sunday change. I have Sunday Blues and I never enjoy anything I do on Sundays even if they are my hobbies. Friday is honestly the best day. I love that change now.

And that's like the 3rd timeslot change? From Tuesday to Thursday, then to Sunday, and now to Friday? I don't know the reason, but it doesn't look good for ratings. Reminds me of the late Fox Kids and their constant changes, which just came to a halt when it became Jetix.

Three times (well, technically four) in 23 years and some change isn't that bad though...?

Remember how extra shilled and pushed they made the Sunday Timeslot when it was advertised and when they announced they were moving from Thursdays-to-Sundays? All the merchandise, special pokenchi shows, special previews, even the talk show with the staff and everything. And It's now ending just two years later so underwhelmingly as an utter flop. Let's pray the same doesn't come of this change.

People are giving too much credit to that "episodic" line. 13/14 was a two-parter by all means, and we already had many cases of inter-episode continuity (Koharu's comparing of Pikachu and Wanpachi's jealousy, references to Saito battle, etc.)

IMO it's more that no regions besides Kanto and Galar have gotten more than one episode in a row yet - I'm worried that they have a restriction on doing that. Today's episode was great but it definitely would have been better as a 2 parter.

I want Pikachu to wear that gold suit in the anime.

I may be one of the few people here who preferred the Sunday time slot. I have access to my laptop only on weekends, which makes Bulbapedia edits far more easier post-release. Not that I really mind the Friday release date beyond that.

They really went all out in that video announcement. Pikachu wearing a golden suit is so adorable and ridiculous at the same time. I'm kind of surprised that the move to Sunday happened back in 2018. I thought it was last year, but time is weird and maybe the change happened late in 2018. While I still maintain that ratings aren't really important for a show like Pokemon, hopefully it will be able to perform better on Fridays than it was on Sundays.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom