• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Torterra: Akupara - name of the mythilogical turtle with the world on his back
Rampardos: Yoshi - he looks like a buff Yoshi
Garchomp: Gablias - his Japanese name
Banette: Voodoo - he gets power from stabbing needles
Bronzong: Omega - he's ancient. Idunno.
Honchkrow: Raptore - cross between Raptor and Rapture
Kirlia: Destiny - it seemed to fit...
Flareon: Flare
Ursaring: Ursula - she's female, and has Ursa in her name.
Electrode: Meltdown - seemed to fit even better as Voltorb, since they always look angry.
Aggron: Anubis Rex - It sounded cool
Kabutops: Eviscera - From 'Eviscerate', to remove vital parts of.
Electabuzz: Zaprong - was traded as an Elekid.
Mudkip: Gill - he's a water-type
Zubat: GOAWAY!!! - Mt. Moon. That is all
Charmander: Zember - named after first stage of my made-up Pokemon family
Charmeleon: Zembire - named after second stage of made-up 'Zember' line
Charizard: Zemberno - named after final stage of made-up 'Zember' line
Unown: Optipix - not sure...
Magcargo: Magman - he's made of magma.

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

Blastoise - Cannon
Stantler - Caribou
Crobat - Dracula/Dusk
Octillery - Ammo/Flood
Magneton - Mecha
Torterra - Gaia
Gyarados - Undertow
Croagunk - Bog
Meganium - Lotus
Golem - Boulder
Omastar - Nautilus
Staraptor - Stellar
Gengar - Malice
Weezing - Lungcancer (LOL)

I just pick cool real-life words for my Pokemon's nicknames.

Probopass - Bobobo

On Emerald:

Fawkes (Blaziken) - name of the phoenix in Harry Potter
Altorex (Rayquaza) - translates as "sky king"
Torak (Mightyena) - the main character in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series by Michelle Paver
Aquattack (Azumarill) - combination of "aqua" and "attack"
Handsomfly (Beautifly) - he's a male so I thought "Beautifly" didn't really suit him
Terraform (Flygon) - "terra" means "earth", and Trapinch goes through major transformations during evolution. Terraforming is also the hypothetical alteration of a planet's climate

I was also rather pleased with myself when I thought up the name "Ninsect" for my Nincada on Ruby...

Last edited:

some of my favorite nicknames in my platinum version

PORYGON-Z: "G-Diffuser". because there's something wrong with it.

LUCARIO: Lucario has been through many name changes. first "RIOLU"(back when it wasn't evolved) then "LUCARIO"(back when un-nicknamed) then "AuraMaster"(Aura and Master, made to fit the 10-character limit)then "Lucas"(I truly have no idea why I named it this) and finally, the name that shall never be changed again(unless I can think of something better), "Auracle"(from both "Aura", Lucario's power, and "Oracle", which fits Lucario pretty well, considering.)

LICKILICKY: "Luigi". I believe this was from an April Fool's gag back in the Gen.1 days that said Lickytung could evolve into Luigi, But I'm not entirely sure.

UXIE, MESPRIT, and AZELF: "Nayru", "Farore", and "Din", the creators of the Triforce in the Zelda series.

DIALGA, PALKIA, and GIRATINA: "Diamond", "Pearl", and "Platinum". If you don't know the inspirations for these names, get out.

PIKACHU: originally named "Sparky", eventually changed to the more original "Sparkster", and now is called "Pizzachu"(I was hungry...)

METAGROSS: "JR FIGHTER". Please send the complaints to my old sapphire file.

MARRIL: "Pikablu". must I explain?

SMEARGLE: "Smeagol". Lord of the rings reference.

PLUSLE and MINUN: "PnutButter" and "Jelly". Because they are simular pokemon.

SQIRTLE and WARTORTLE: "Koopa" and "Troopa". Because they're turtles.

HITMONLEE, HITMONCHAN, HITMONTOP: "BruceLee", "JackieChan", and "ChuckNoris"(mispelled to keep with the 10 character limit). Because of HitmonLEE and HitmonCHAN. "ChuckNoris" is for no reason.

the Eeveelutions: There are seven Eeveelutions. It took me a long time to think up seven things that are related to each other. But last night, It came to me: the seven deadly sins. So, prepare to see the "seven deadly Eeveelutions"!

VAPOREON: "Gluttony". Because it's the heaviest Eeveelution.
JOLTEON: "Wrath". Because it's easily angered.
FLAREON: "Envy". No reason.
Espeon: "Pride". No reason.
UMBREON: "Greed". No reason.
LEAFEON: "Sloth". Because it basically doesn't fight.
GLACEON: "Lust". Because it has a different gender than the rest of my Eeveelutions.

Last edited:

"Auracle"(from both "Aura", Lucario's power, and "Oracle", which fits Lucario pretty well, considering.)

Brilliant! If Lucario ever gets an evolution, that's what it should be called.

I'd probably call a Lucario "Luke", as it sounds like the first part of Lucario's name.

Murkrow - Shade (It knows Nightshade, and the name just stuck)
Yanmega - Specs (Because of it's weird eyes)
Kingdra - Royalty (Because of the word 'king' in it's name. Also because it's item is a Kings Rock)

hey lunabee you have some really cool and intersting sounding names!
By the way, do you have pokmon d/p or platinum?

Zubat- Adam West
Golbat- Bruce Wayne
Onix- Mr. T
Steelix- Chuck Norris

Those are my favorite that I can remember.

Also when I was little, I used to name all my Pokemon like Yellow did in the manga, even though that part of Pokemon Adventures wasn't even out yet... So...

Nidoqueen- Nidy
Articuno- Icy-Arty
Zapdos- Zappy
Moltres- Molty
Mewtwo- MeweyTwoey
Zubat- Zuby
Bulbasaur- Bulby
Squirtle- Squirty

The worst one was Lugia... "Lugey" XD I didn't even get it until I was a bit older and then I facepalmed, HARD.

Pikachu - Anthony:) - my name (not including smile)
Infernape - Reji - I just wanted to name him that
Charmeleon - Tamotsu - defender in Japanese
Buizel - Ichi-Aquos - Ichi meaning one (1) in Japanese and Aquos meaning water

Rapidash = Ignorance (idk)
Vileplume = Amingo (a catcus character from Capcom v.s. Marvel 2)

My HGSS team:
*Cyndaquil > Fender (I once read it somewhere and thought it sounded a bit like fire xD)
*Meowth > Sylvester (just because I think it's a nice name for a cat)
*Delibird > Cosmo
*Vaporeon > River (well, it is a water-type...)
*Cubone > Collin (meaning 'young creature')
*Hoppip > Cherry (just sounds cute)

Other nicknames:
*Sandshrew > Riddler (I just started being a batmanfan there xD)
*Altaria > Chi
*Misdreavus > Myrtle (yes, it is the ghost from Harry Potter, I just like the name:p)
*Hitmontop > Topper
*Sneasel/Murkrow > Shadow (they both got this name in different playthroughs)
*Absol > Luna
*Scyther > Chester
*Farfetch'd > Scott
*Poochyena > Rover
*Beautifly > Lily

Can't remember any more of them...

I've only named a few but:

There's Paco, my Probopass <3
Copan, my Milotic (as in Copenhagen, the home of the guy who wrote 'The ugly Duckling')
and
Joey, my Blaziken (IDK)

yeh my pokemon are lame ameen there good but i started agen sooooo......;P
Name- Translation- How To Say It-
PIDGEYOTTO - PIJOTTO - (pie-jay-oh-to)
GYARADOS - GYRADOSU - (guy-rai-dow-suu)
CHARMELON - RIZADON - (rise-a-don)

THESE ARE ALL THE ACTUAL NAMES OF THE POKEMON IN JAPANESE :eek:hdear::-D:banana:COOL HEH.:)'D)X|

I usually don't nickname my pokemon but now i've decided I'm gonna nickname all my EV trained pokemon used on teams.. For Ex.
The current Infernape project I'm doing, I'm gonna name it Inferape as in a great sweeper
I also named my Ditto Playboy coz its always in the daycare
I named my Luxray Evercrust I was just playing the game and this name struck my mind!!
I named my Eevee Voldemort as I was planning to evolve it to make it an Umbreon and Dark- Dark Lord.. *I know its dumb but.. * but I ended up evolving it to a flareon? coz that was the pokemon needed for a heart scale and I needed a heart scale for giving one of my EV trained pokemon a move!

still working on names for everyone, but I decided to name my Lucario Corin because... well, it was kinda based of the name my brother gave his. It just sounded like a good name for a Lucario.

I nickname all pokemon once they're done being even trained. the only exception is my Lopunny and Tropius which get named for being awesome (wining a 1 vs 4 double battle by herself) and for humor respectively.

Gallade - Kali - Fighting style using sticks
Gallade(S) - Chivalry - trait of Gallades
Infernape - Sarutobi - Naruto's Third Hokage (he has a monkey summon)
Togekiss - Pax - peace
Lanturn - Ame - Japanese for Rain (it's a Thunderdance user)
Roserade - Maskipaps - event of my college in UP. It had "Mask" in it which Roserade has
Houndour - Miaka - one our dogs name
Vaporeon - Hydroxide - chemical name of one-half the components of water
Magnezone - Enterprise - spaceship
Mamoswine - Manny - Ice age mammoth
Gardevoir(S) - Celestia - angelic name
Torterra - Amorsolo - pun on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Name our one of our National Artist
Floatzel - Turboflow - friends suggestion
Flygon - Cynder - female dragon in the Spyro game series
Garchomp - Jakiro - DOTA dragon
Pikachu - Pulse - electrical pulse
Pikachu (Surf) - Wave - electric wave plus water waves
Lopunny - Eternia - Impulsive naming
Tropius - Air Force1 - Hm slave for flying

Er. I've only nicknamed three of my Pokemon I think. xD

Beautifly - May
Masquerain - Drew
Medicham - Grace

n_n'

I'm only gonna say a few of mine:

Machamp- Macho
Giratina- Gerry
Azelf- William

Old Team:

Tyranitar - Omnomnom
Scizor - GrabboArms
Swampert - Enforcer
Gyarados - Fluffy
Azelf - Azzplosion
Zapdos - couldn't nickname :[

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom