• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Complete My Team!

Hi guys. I've decided to work on the Rain team. But the problem is I don't know what can I use for the last slot. Any suggestion(s) will be appreciated. Here's what I've planned.

Politoed
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 Spe

-Scald
-Hypnosis/Toxic
-Encore/ Perish Song
-Protect/Ice Beam/Focus Blast

Milotic
Nature: Calm
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP/ 240 Def/ 16 Sp.Def

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald
-Dragon Tail

Gyarados
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/ 252 Speed

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

Floatzel
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt
Nature: Naive
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 196 Atk/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 60 Speed

-Waterfall
-Ice Beam
-Brick Break/Crunch
-Rain Dance/Hidden Power (Grass)

Corsola
Nature: Bold
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 Sp. Def

-Recover
-Toxic
-Scald/Power Gem
-Stealth Rock

Let me know if there's anything that needs to be fixed.

Hi, I'm playing Emerald right now and need advice on my Elite Four team. I have five stable members and a variety of random Pokes that I've leveled up to almost my minimum for entering the league (I'd prefer all of them to be at least 60). I need to know who my final member should be (it doesn't necessarily have to be one of the random Pokes I've leveled up; I can use a new one, too). I also want to know any changes you'd have in mind for their movesets (their movesets are in no way permanent and HMs are mainly there for me to get through Victory Road. I'll mark the ones I'm pretty sure I'll keep no matter what), and suggested items as well. Here are my Pokemon:

* = I'll probably keep the move when I revamp their movesets

Swampert - lv 61 - Torrent - Docile - holding Mystic Water

Surf*
Earthquake*
Muddy Water
Waterfall

Breloom - lv 61 - Effect Spore - Adamant - holding Focus Band

Sky Uppercut*
Cut
Headbutt*
Mega Drain

Manectric - lv 61 - Static - Hardy - holding Magnet

Bite*
Strength
Thunderbolt*
Thunder

Crobat - lv 60 - Inner Focus - Mild - holding Shell Bell

Fly
Poison Fang*
Air Cutter*
Steel Wing*

Gardevoir - lv 60 - Synchronize - Jolly - holding Lax Incense

Psychic*
Confusion
Dream Eater*
Hypnosis*

Some of my sixth-member options (but keep in mind these are not the only Pokemon I'm considering using - I'll take any suggestions):

Walrein - lv 44 - Thick Fat - Hardy

Aurora Beam
Waterfall
Rock Slide*
Body Slam*

Crawdaunt - lv 53 - Shell Armor - Serious

Rock Smash
Body Slam*
Crabhammer*
Bubblebeam

Exploud - lv 48 - Soundproof - Impish - holding Quick Claw

Rock Smash
Uproar
Stomp*
Hyper Beam

Aggron - lv 42 - Rock Head - Jolly

Take Down*
Rock Smash
Iron Tail*
Headbutt

Salamence - lv 50 - Intimidate - Jolly

Crunch*
Dragon Claw*
Dragonbreath

Camerupt (2 of them - I was training for egg move purposes, when I realized I was training the wrong gender) - lv 33/34 - Magma Armor - Jolly/Hardy

Rock Smash
Rock Slide*
Ember
Magnitude

Thanks for any help you can offer!

@Shego; You need to cover up the threats to rain rather than just running mono water.

Ok. Like what exactly? I'm sure that Poison, Ice, and Fire-types can help eliminate the Grass-types. Ice types can take out Dragon and Ground Types. I just got a Chinchou with Volt Absorb ability which will evolve into Lanturn.

Last edited:
You shouldn't think in terms of types but rather in terms of countering specific threats. For example, Ferrothorn walls your whole team so you could run Tornadus-T to 2HKO it.

You shouldn't think in terms of types but rather in terms of countering specific threats. For example, Ferrothorn walls your whole team so you could run Tornadus-T to 2HKO it.

Ok. If I catch a Tornadus-T, then what is its best nature? And what EV should be like? Should it be like 252 Speed/ 4 Def/252 Sp. Atk? Or anything else in that matter. What about Gastrodon? Its happens to be a ground and water type. I want to find a Mudkip then evolves all the way to Swampert but, I can't find him in my Black and White game. I could go to Pokémon GTS Utilities but, that would be cheating, right? Therefore, I want to get it fair and square. To tell you the truth, Pokemon Black Version is my real first pokemon game.

Last edited:
For Tornadus-T you should be able to just look on Smogon.

I've looked at Smogon, but it doesn't have a strategy for Tornadus-T. Look... Tornadus-T (B/W) - Smogon University But I do have a Dragonite. Tornadus-T is nice and all, but I can't depend on the legendary pokemon because I don't want them to think that I'm sort kind of a noob that have no skills.

Last edited:
I'm looking through Bulbapedia, and I'm pre-planning a team based on Pokemon White 2 - so that way, I don't waste money and exp on pokemon that I don't have to catch or raise.

However, I want a main team of six that will stick with me from around the 5th gym or so until I see the first credits.
I don't EV train, or IV train.

Could I ask for some advice on a balanced team I can use? I don't want types to overlap, btw.

I'm already planning to use Oshawott as a stater, and here are some pokemons I would like to use.
1. Oshawott - Dewott - Samurott (Torrent)
Surf, Aqua Jet, Razor Shell, (fourth move)

2. Sandile - Krokorok - Krookodile (Moxie)
Earthquake, Crunch, (third move, fourth move)

3. Joltik - Galvantula (Compound Eyes)
Signal Beam, Volt Switch, (third move, fourth move)

4. Solosis - Duoison - Reuniclus (???)
Psyshock, (second move, third move, fourth move)

5. Growlithe - Arcanine (Flash Fire)
Flamethrower, Flare Blitz, (third move, fourth move)

6. Aron - Lairon - Aggron (Rock Head)
Iron Head, Iron Tail, (third move, fourth move)
I would greatly appreciate it if you advised on moves, and recommendation on pokemons that are available BEFORE the first credits.

No breeding moves since I heard breeding isn't allowed until post game. Also, no eeveelutions please. AND NO LUCARIO AND NO DRAGONS.

for samurott, i'd recommend megahorn (it can be obtained by using the Driftveil move relearner) or X Scissor if you're leery about accuracy, so that you have emergency grass or psychic coverage. As for Growlithe/Arcanine, since you're willing to wait for Flare Blitz, you can probably add Outrage and Crunch/Reversal/ExtremeSpeed, as those are some of the more useful moves in its arsenal.

EDIT: For Aggron, I'd try to get one with sturdy, so that you could utilize Rock Polish/Autotomize(Automotize?) and boost it's abysmal speed stat. Lefties and Shell Bell can more or less compensate for recoil damage from take down/double-edge. BTW, this may want to be moved to the In-Game teams thread, too, but these are my suggestions nonetheless

Last edited:
So im pretty new to both this forum and competitive battling so i was wondering if i could get some input on building my team.. i feel like ive got decent move sets laid out but the team just doesnt flow.. idk any help would be greatly appreciated. Also uncertain if im using appropriate poekmon sort of aiming for UU tier.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash/ Light Clay
Ability: Thick Fat/Snow Cloak
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd
- Earthquake/ Ice Shard/ Roar?
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard/ Light Screen ?
- Endeavor/ Reflect ?

Support/ lead sort of deal going on here use to either dish out some damage on the oppositions team after stealth rock or set up support for the rest of the team. Though Mamoswine's survivability isnt all that great so im not too sure about the dual-screens.

Other options: Torterra or Probopass, both running stealth rock's and similar set to Mamoswine but probably more defensively geared opposed to speed.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Adamant or Jolly ?
- Wild Charge/ Thunder Punch/ Thunder Bolt ?
- Ice Punch/ Dual Chop ?
- Brick Break/ Low Sweep ?
- Rock Slide/ Earthquake ?

This guy is mainly for dishing out super effective physical damage. He seems to have a decent move pool so im kinda at a loss with all the option. Could probably run thunder wave, dual screens or toxic but it seems like a waste with such a good attack stat.

Other options: Honestly this is the one guy who i definitely want to run on my team, but im open to suggestions.

Volcarona OR Lucario

Volcarona @ Lum Berry/ Leftovers ?
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252SpAtk/4HP/252Spd/ or 236SpAtk/112Def/160Spd ?
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Hidden Power (Ice/Rock)/ Substitute/ Whirlwind/ Solarbeam/ Gigadrain ?

Again special sweeper, however could be run with Sunny Day and boost its attack if i ran it more defensively but im not exactly sure who to run sunny day on.. Solarbeam is for if i run sun for any water or rock types that try get in Volcarona's way as is gigadrain but it doesnt need sun.

Lucario @ Life Orb/ Choice Specs/ Choice Scarf ?
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Modest
- Aura Sphere
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Shadow Ball/ Dragon Pulse ?
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot/ Shadow Ball/ Dragon Pulse ?

Same as Volcarona.

Other options: Heat Rotom, Wash Rotom, Octillery (on trick room team), Chandelure all running special sweeper sets, although i could probably run 2 special attackers and 2 physical attackers with a physical and special wall or something not sure what poekmon to go with though.

as for the last 3 slots im really not sure. i was looking at walling pokemon namely Cofagrigus, Bronzong and Gliscor but i also know Jellicent, Tentacruel, Skarmory and Gastrodon can be used, and probably another physical attacker or a support/tank/annoyer idk. I was seriously looking at Metagross and Gallade who could both take hits due to high defensive stats which is awesome. Bisharp, Weavile, Mienshao, Salamence, Haxorus, Escavalier and Gyarados also made the list for this slot but yeah users discretion because im really not sure where to go with this team or whats good and stuff.. but im really not sure about the last 3 slots.

any input is appreciate, thanks =]

Mamoswine: He is outclassed by other users of dual screens and doesn't have the bulk to set them both up in addition to Stealth Rocks. Ice Shard and Earthquake are primary STABS, Stealth Rocks if your team cannot provide it and endeavor in the last slot for when sash activates.

Electrivire: outclassed by many other things that can hit harder and faster.

Volcarona: You would need a spinner to support it and you should pick either Hidden Power Ground or Giga Drain depending on how much you struggle with Heatran. Unless of course you go bulky in which case pick Moonlight. This thing is effective in all weathers.

Lucario: I wouldn't consider special Lucario to have enough of a niche to be viable.

Last edited:
@Takaki He is trying to go for a UU team, I believe he stated. In which case, I think it might be worth noting, @redan , that most of your already planned team members seem to fall into OU (with the exception of electivire, who is tiered in RU for his own safety).

Rather than prove my inadequacies as a competitive 'Master, my friends and I have mock Gym battles between ourselves. The Gyms we will run next have one rule: we can have a party of whatever Pokemon we want, but each Pokemon has to have a particular color in their appearance and we can chose the color. I chose Yellow, initially thinking I would use Elektross (what a noob idea), but this is the team I have come up with:

Jolton (Scouter) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV: 252 speed, 252 spat, 4 spdef
HP: 140 AT: 75 DEF: 79 SPAT: 178 SPDEF: 109 SPEED: 182
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
Jolteon is my special sweeper / scout. Fragile, but with the Choice Scarf it is almost guaranteed that he will at least hit first. Volt Switch allows me to bring out a heftier 'Mon to hopefully take out the opponent.

Shuckle (Setter Upper) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Sassy
EV: 252 DEF, 252 SP DEF, 4 HP
HP: 95 AT: 27 DEF: 282 SPAT: 25 SPDEF: 310 SPEED 9
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Split
- Gyro Ball
Shuckle has worked out pretty well at being a set up when Jolteon Volt Switches back in. Throw down a Stealth Rock and perhaps a Toxic or two before he goes down. Otherwise he was probably a bad choice.

Rotom S (Sub Split) @ Focus Band
Ability: Levitate
252 SPAT, 252 SPEED, 4 SPDEF
HP: 123 AT: 76 DEF: 127 SPAT: 157 SPDEF: 119 SPEED: 151
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Air Slash
Stolen straight from Smogon, but it worked extremely well, especially when I went up against my significant others' ground team. I was able to wear him down slowly with Substitute, Pain Split and Air Slash.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EV: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 def
HP: 184 AT: 200 DEF: 115 SPAT: 90 SPDEF: 105 SPEED: 154
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
What more needs to be said? Garchomp. He Garstomped all over my opponents. Half the time, he was the reason that I won at all.

Infernape @ Citrus Berry
Ability: Blaze
EV: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
HP: 151 AT: 171 DEF: 88 SPAT: 108 SPDEF: 88 SPEED:160
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
He can't take a hit too well, but when he does the Citrus Berry brings him back up and makes Acrobatics a viable move. He was great for my Bug opponent.

Alakazam (Special Sweeper) @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 spt, 252 speed, 4 hp
HP: 246 AT: 97 DEF: 126 SPAT: 405 SPDEF: 193 SPEED: 339
- Dark Pulse
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
I only put out Alakazam out when I was sure the opponent was recharging or would put out a ghost type 'Mon. These stats are for lvl 100, mind you, so they didn't work in the Link Battle lvl 50 area, but the idea was the same.

In the end, I won 2/3 of the time against my opponents. My thoughts are that it was mostly due to the fact that I had no walls, no way to stave off incoming attacks or weather effects like Sand Stream. What would you guys have done? What would you replace on my team? Alakazam is the only one I am not inclined to trade out.

Rather than prove my inadequacies as a competitive 'Master, my friends and I have mock Gym battles between ourselves. The Gyms we will run next have one rule: we can have a party of whatever Pokemon we want, but each Pokemon has to have a particular color in their appearance and we can chose the color. I chose Yellow, initially thinking I would use Elektross (what a noob idea), but this is the team I have come up with:

Jolton (Scouter) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV: 252 speed, 252 spat, 4 spdef
HP: 140 AT: 75 DEF: 79 SPAT: 178 SPDEF: 109 SPEED: 182
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Signal Beam
Jolteon is my special sweeper / scout. Fragile, but with the Choice Scarf it is almost guaranteed that he will at least hit first. Volt Switch allows me to bring out a heftier 'Mon to hopefully take out the opponent.

Your Jolteon is fine but I think you should replace Signal Beam with Pin Missle.It can deal more damage on Psychic,Dark and Grass due to multi hits
Your choice

Shuckle (Setter Upper) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Sassy
EV: 252 DEF, 252 SP DEF, 4 HP
HP: 95 AT: 27 DEF: 282 SPAT: 25 SPDEF: 310 SPEED 9
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Power Split
- Gyro Ball
Shuckle has worked out pretty well at being a set up when Jolteon Volt Switches back in. Throw down a Stealth Rock and perhaps a Toxic or two before he goes down. Otherwise he was probably a bad choice.
Shuckle is good cant find any ways to improve him

Rotom S (Sub Split) @ Focus Band
Ability: Levitate
252 SPAT, 252 SPEED, 4 SPDEF
HP: 123 AT: 76 DEF: 127 SPAT: 157 SPDEF: 119 SPEED: 151
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Air Slash
Stolen straight from Smogon, but it worked extremely well, especially when I went up against my significant others' ground team. I was able to wear him down slowly with Substitute, Pain Split and Air Slash.
Rotom is good

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EV: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 def
HP: 184 AT: 200 DEF: 115 SPAT: 90 SPDEF: 105 SPEED: 154
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
What more needs to be said? Garchomp. He Garstomped all over my opponents. Half the time, he was the reason that I won at all.
Give Garchomp Dragon Dance then nothing is gonna stop it

Infernape @ Citrus Berry
Ability: Blaze
EV: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 HP
HP: 151 AT: 171 DEF: 88 SPAT: 108 SPDEF: 88 SPEED:160
- Flare Blitz
- U-Turn
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
He can't take a hit too well, but when he does the Citrus Berry brings him back up and makes Acrobatics a viable move. He was great for my Bug opponent.
Give it tremendous speed and attack so it can own with Close Combat It can only hit 2-3 times with CC so make sure it counts

Alakazam (Special Sweeper) @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 spt, 252 speed, 4 hp
HP: 246 AT: 97 DEF: 126 SPAT: 405 SPDEF: 193 SPEED: 339
- Dark Pulse
- Charge Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
I only put out Alakazam out when I was sure the opponent was recharging or would put out a ghost type 'Mon. These stats are for lvl 100, mind you, so they didn't work in the Link Battle lvl 50 area, but the idea was the same.
Replace Charge Beam with Focus Blast so you can hit hard at Dark types

Well thats all that I can help

Well, I'm still working on a team I can make on my White game, the actual cartridge. I've made teams before, on PO/PS, but those always included some event exclusives I couldn't actually obtain, like Celebi and Jirachi. Because having a Grass-type and/or Rotom-W is important with all the rain teams running around, I started with the only viable Grass-type I could obtain: Roserade. Then I thought: "What Pokemon appreciates something that can lay down and absorb Toxic Spikes?" Calm Mind Keldeo. The only event exclusive that I've RNGed. I built the team around that, and got the following:

Toxic Spikes Roserade
Calm Mind Keldeo with Hidden Power Ghost
Choice Band Scizor
Choice Scarf Latios with Psyshock / Draco Meteor / Trick / Surf
Timid max Speed Air Balloon Heatran

Known problems of this team include Toxicroak, Lucario and above all: Tornadus-T
But I don't know what I can do about it.
What could possibly check those 3 Pokemon at once? I was thinking Zapdos, but I'm a bit reluctant to use it without Rapid Spin support.

So my question to you:
What would be a good last Pokemon?
And if the team is crappy, which Pokemon should I swap out in order to make it work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to answer!

Well, I'm still working on a team I can make on my White game, the actual cartridge. I've made teams before, on PO/PS, but those always included some event exclusives I couldn't actually obtain, like Celebi and Jirachi. Because having a Grass-type and/or Rotom-W is important with all the rain teams running around, I started with the only viable Grass-type I could obtain: Roserade. Then I thought: "What Pokemon appreciates something that can lay down and absorb Toxic Spikes?" Calm Mind Keldeo. The only event exclusive that I've RNGed. I built the team around that, and got the following:

Toxic Spikes Roserade
Calm Mind Keldeo with Hidden Power Ghost
Choice Band Scizor
Choice Scarf Latios with Psyshock / Draco Meteor / Trick / Surf
Timid max Speed Air Balloon Heatran

Known problems of this team include Toxicroak, Lucario and above all: Tornadus-T
But I don't know what I can do about it.
What could possibly check those 3 Pokemon at once? I was thinking Zapdos, but I'm a bit reluctant to use it without Rapid Spin support.

So my question to you:
What would be a good last Pokemon?
And if the team is crappy, which Pokemon should I swap out in order to make it work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is kind enough to answer!

I'm thinking Zapdos would be a nice idea, but I'm also thinking that an offensive Donphan might help. You might even swap out Roserade for a utility Donphan so that you could a) still have hazards (rocks) and b) have spinning support for Zapdos.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom