• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Diamond and Peal; 2D or 3D?

Saelyra

Oh Noes!
Reaction score
Now.. correct me if this has already been ironed out and I'm just looking at a very out of date facts sheet. But as of yet I don't think there has been an *offical* confrimation as to whether this game will continue in the 2D style of traditional Pokemon games, or with the supplement of the new technology the DS has, bump it up to 3D.

Personally, I'm really hoping it will continue to be in 2D. There was always something, battling in Stadium and other such games, that felt more 'detached' than the 2D ones did :/ There's just so much more room for imagination in the current style, or at least, in my opinion. That, and I'd rather have really nice sprites than N64-esque polygonal models... at least in this instance. But maybe that's just me. I mean, the Colusseum story mode was okay, but I definetly prefer the traditional gameboy games for this series.

Not to mention, that if they did decide to do it in 3d (for whatever reason,) that would kill a huge part of what gets people interested in purchasing the Stadium-type of games for the larger consoles in the first place. Which would be in turn an insentive for Nintendo to keep the games 2d; a loss of money to be made off of the 3d counterpart.

Now, obviously Pokemon has been sticking with the same basic setup since RBY. Chances are, they will continue to do so. However, considering all that the DS has to offer in graphics, you never know :/

...Man, how much a simple screenshot would clear up! :sweat:

Up to this point DS has great 3D graphics, however Pokemon and 3D games haven't worked out as well as they'd hoped. So 2D is definately the way to go.

We may be looking at graphics similar to what we've been seeing for Mysterious Dungeon and Ranger.

Isometric graphics in the style of Mysterious Dungeon (which themselves were based on the style of graphics in LoZ: LttP) would probably be best. Not only do they look good, and would be a significant improvement on the previous generations, but they allow for the greatest sized world without sacrificing graphics quality.

*Is personally hoping that there's enough room on the cart to include Kanto, Johto, Houen, and at least 1 new region*

I am holding to the faint hope that Pokemon's roaming parts would be like that of Megaman EXE's... that would be great....just my OP.

3D graphics would be very risky, as it might turn some fans astray that are accustomed to the 2D. 2D is a Pokémon tradition, and I don't think there's any reason to think that's going to change any time soon. And yes I also agree the LoZ:ALttP-style graphics would suit it much better.

Although in some of the DS games, the people in them look a lot like they do in the Animé, more realistic (if that makes sense). I've kind of envisioned D/P's graphics to be much less pixel-ey and more...oh, what's the word...clean? Something like that. However, that wasn't the case for Advance Wars: Dual Strike, so I very well could be wrong about that.

I remember a discussion on the BMG Chat one day, that Pokemon in 2D is the better way to go, although the use of 2D isn't used to its full potential. I agree with this statement that there's a lot more 2D that can go into the Pokemon games, yet it's not being used. What we could use is a 2D game that is used to its full potential and has many good art sprites and looks clean overall. If the DS can show magnificent 3D games, imagine how it can hold a well-made 2D game. ;)

Archaic said:
*Is personally hoping that there's enough room on the cart to include Kanto, Johto, Houen, and at least 1 new region*
Ahahahahahahahahahano.

Even if it were possible, it would take 5 years to make a halfway decent game out of all that.

Fact is, we'll never have a Pokemon game with >2 regions. It's just too much to ask when you consider how much extra money would be needed for so little gain.

MistyIRC said:
Ahahahahahahahahahano.

Even if it were possible, it would take 5 years to make a halfway decent game out of all that.

Fact is, we'll never have a Pokemon game with >2 regions. It's just too much to ask when you consider how much extra money would be needed for so little gain.

It's the time that would be the problem. As Gamefreak don't lisence out parts of development for the main games to other companies (No FMVs etc - yet anyway) the only cost they bear is standard development costs of buying devkits, paying people and buying the correct software (Or rather paying people to knock it up for them).

Not that I would approve of a multi-regioned game without limits. G/S/C was brutally damaged by having to make up for squeezing 16 badges and all for under level 100.

If they were to add multiple regions (and this technically shouldn't even be necessary if they simply add enough features to the new region to keep you playing it long after beating the E4) they'd have to have a limit on the Pokemon levels you can use/bring across there until you've cleared the 8 badges.

Sort of like Ash heading out to Hoenn with only Pikachu, but without a Godly Pokemon to tear through everyone without a challenge.

I wouldn't mind a cel shaded game... could the DS pull that kind of stuff off?

<i>As Gamefreak don't lisence out parts of development for the main games to other companies (No FMVs etc - yet anyway) the only cost they bear is standard development costs of buying devkits, paying people and buying the correct software (Or rather paying people to knock it up for them).</i>

As GameFreak's employees are all salaried, time = money.

MistyIRC said:
<i>As Gamefreak don't lisence out parts of development for the main games to other companies (No FMVs etc - yet anyway) the only cost they bear is standard development costs of buying devkits, paying people and buying the correct software (Or rather paying people to knock it up for them).</i>

As GameFreak's employees are all salaried, time = money.

They're paid a constant rate throughout the year for the entire time they're employed. Other than overtime, there's really little extra expense over salaries during Game Development.

Doctor Oak said:
If they were to add multiple regions (and this technically shouldn't even be necessary if they simply add enough features to the new region to keep you playing it long after beating the E4) they'd have to have a limit on the Pokemon levels you can use/bring across there until you've cleared the 8 badges.
I think this is a good idea. To broaden on it more, I think it could be great if they could have 2 games in one basically. What I mean by that is, start off the game as you would normally, and beat an area, level up, and get the 8 badges. Then once you're done with that area, you choose a new starter basically and start the other region off as you had the last one. After a period of time, you would be able to get back your other Pokemon to take out onto the road. Of couse you would be able to access them in the Pokemon Center, but they couldn't leave the Pokemon Center in your party.

Something like that, if any of that above made sense. :p

I want a little of both, ideally - I'd like the overworld map to be a quirky polygonal enviroment with 3-D movement instead of the old tilesets that are getting cumbersome and old and annoying to navigate - think of a cross between Pokemon Collosseum and Animal Crossing or Zelda.

I want the battles to be decently ANIMATED but relatively simple sprites. There doesn't have to be anything special - I'd settle for every Pokemon having a couple of animations - entrance, close-range attack, long-range attack, hit, dodge, and faint. Not like Emerald's crappy animations - more like Crystal's. It would also be nice if every Pokemon looked slightly different from the other like Spinda - no more Shinies, just slightly different variations for each Pokemon to give them more individuality - spots or markings in different places, different length's of fur or scars or size and weight variations - subtle but enough to make seeing the same species over and over again less annoying.

Anyways, that's what I want.

Dratini927 said:
I think this is a good idea. To broaden on it more, I think it could be great if they could have 2 games in one basically. What I mean by that is, start off the game as you would normally, and beat an area, level up, and get the 8 badges. Then once you're done with that area, you choose a new starter basically and start the other region off as you had the last one. After a period of time, you would be able to get back your other Pokemon to take out onto the road. Of couse you would be able to access them in the Pokemon Center, but they couldn't leave the Pokemon Center in your party.
Basically, what we got in this generation, only on one cartridge instead of two. :rolleyes:

ZetaNLI said:
I want the battles to be decently ANIMATED but relatively simple sprites. There doesn't have to be anything special - I'd settle for every Pokemon having a couple of animations - entrance, close-range attack, long-range attack, hit, dodge, and faint. Not like Emerald's crappy animations - more like Crystal's. It would also be nice if every Pokemon looked slightly different from the other like Spinda - no more Shinies, just slightly different variations for each Pokemon to give them more individuality - spots or markings in different places, different length's of fur or scars or size and weight variations - subtle but enough to make seeing the same species over and over again less annoying.
Sounds nice, although I'd insist on being able to disable any and all battle animations. They're cool the first few times you see them, but after a few dozen appearances they're just wastes of time. That's one of my gripes with the Stadium series and the GC Pokemon games, actually. (I don't need to *see* my Espeon using Psybeam AGAIN. Just let me get on with the battle, dammit!) Speaking of wastes of times, I hope that you don't get the annoying "sprite of your Poke against a colored background while using an HM in the overworld" thing again, and that they scrap the "when you use something like a potion or HM on your Pokemon outside of battle, you can see a pointless animation of the item being 'used'." thing. Yes, you can skip the latter with the B button, but it's just pointless to have it at all. More pretty animations for important one-time events would be nice, though. (at least have one at the climax of the storyline, ala Emerald's "Rayquaza descends from the heaven, roars, and sends the warring Legendaries back underground/underwater" scene. Only better.) Makes them feel slightly more..."epic". And they couldn't take up THAT much development time or cartridge space, right?

On the matter of there being multiple regions...I'd rather have one large, well-developed new region than having a bunch of the previous regions(as a shadow of their former selves) and a mediocre new region. Do you honestly think that any old regions would have as much effort put into them as the new region? (look at what happened to Kanto in GSC. The regions we already have already had a storyline play out in the games they're in, and, IMO, most of the previous important areas within them wouldn't apply anymore in D/P.
For instance, Sky Pillar doesn't have much going for it other than Rayquaza. Since I doubt that its "calm Groudon and Kyogre" ability wouldn't be needed in D/P, and since old Legends don't normally(ie. without cheat codes or Nintendo events) show up in new games(FR/LG and the non-handheld games aside), Sky Pillar wouldn't have a Legend to catch anymore. So what would be the point in keeping it? Would they incorporate it into the story, or would they take the easy way out and have part of it crumble, making it in accessable? I'm guessing the latter. Granted, we only have one generation's example of there being multiple regions in one game(GSC), so maybe they COULD make it work out well now. But I honestly would rather have more effort put into the new region. :/

As for graphics...2D's fine by me, at least until I see that they can make ALL the Pokemon look decent in 3D. And if they did use 3D, I hope to god that they don't recycle the models from Stadium 1/2/Colloseum/XD AGAIN. Granted, I've never been drastically concerned with graphics, but still.

...I have got to do something about rambling on like that. :p

I think the games will most likely be 2D.I couldn't imagine them making D/P 3D.It just wouldn't feel right.Well, to me anyway. XD

Raichu-chan said:
I think the games will most likely be 2D.I couldn't imagine them making D/P 3D.It just wouldn't feel right.Well, to me anyway. XD
Just like Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness.

Personally I hope that It's 2.5D

I too would like to see all regons cover, and this game has been worked on for many years, and we still have no idea of release! (currently I'm thinking 2007 or 2008 release over anything, but I guess 2006 is a possibility.. only really small one)

The overworld would be mainly in 2D like what we've seen in other games, but with High quality sprites and 3D eliments like elivated sprites and 3D buildings and Trees.

The battles would use 2D sprites in a 3D map. All the monsters would be 2D, with many animations and attack(and defence) animations (I think a stock of the memory would be used in sprites for battling). The map could have maybe ground varients textures, backdrop varients, and randomly placed objects... (now the details)

the 12 ground varient textures would be metal, road, grass, snow, watertop, mountain rocky, magma, cave, underwater, sky, sand, mud.

backdrops include town, city, evil force base, cave, power plant, plains, forrest, ocean, deep sea, volcano, mountain, snow, desert, sky, tourniment outdoor, contest tourniment, theme park, and some monument places.

Randomly Placed Objects would be like rocks, trees, maybe human structures like a fence or vehicle. Also puddles, mud puddles, and dry patches also could be included.

I have a reason for these though, I think environment should take a big role in the new games for player strategy. The idea actually came from the TV show. With the Stylus controll you can re-direct the pokemon moves to objects. For example, If a Furret goes into a tree and you have a scyther you can use slash on the tree instead of Furret, which, while causing less damage has a chance for it to trip decreasing a stamnia with a small chance of finching, instead of slashing in an area with a lower hit probability.

In turn, fire on dried grass causes it to catch on fire, and water on grass repeatedly causes a puddle or mud puddle.Of course the default of having increased rock stats on rocky terrain,and water stats on water terrian still stays.

I think this could really give a lot of strategy. There's other things I'd want in the battle system also, like being able to increase the power of older moves also. My reason for thinking is mainly because I look to make it as possibly balanced as possible where every monster species has potential to be a great force to recon with.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom