• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

I always thought I was the only one that wanted jokes like this and this to return ("I don't hate them by any means..."? What hell Takeshi?! You know it's Kojirou! LOL).

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks Best Wishes Satoshi is nothing like "First 80 episodes of the Original Series Satoshi", where he actually had an amusing personality, though.

Last edited:
Zoey is the best rival and one of the best characters in the entire anime.

I actually thought this would be a popular opinion, but upon viewing past threads, I was surprised to see that so many people disliked her.

I was shocked since I thought that Zoey was such an intertaining character. I loved the way she had such amazing contest appeals and battles. She also had a lot of interesting personallity quirks I really wish had been expanded on. For example, she dislikes loud noise which can be understood from several of her quotes.

Buizel your way out of this: "Just as noisy as ever I see." Ash and Dawn stop bickering "That's better."
A stand up sit down: "Well if you're gonna bring help, might as well be someone who loves to talk." "I'd rather hear Dawn talk."
Classroom training: "One of Snowpoint City's nicest things is its peace and quiet. Even the townspeople are peaceful and quiet. I love this town."
Opposites interact: "Good grief. Kind of early to be making this much noise."

Now I'm sure Zoey's dislike of loud noise stems from her comming from the quiet snowpoint city, but I kinda wish one of the other characters would have asked her about this. But anyway, I wish Zoey could have had more appearances. I would have liked to see her in more episodes that weren't focused entirely on contests. For instance, I would have liked the Snowpoint episodes to last a but longer so we could have learned more about her childhood and school days with Candice. Obviously, I was totally dissapointed when Dawn didn't mention her during her return in BW2. I also loved how she was a kind person since it was a nice transition from May's mean/taunting rivals. I was so thrilled when Zoey won the GF because there were so many rumors that Dawn was going to win when she clearly doesn't even compare to Zoey's skills.

Anyway, that's my unpopular opinion.

Last edited:
People hate zoey because she was a mary sue who never got her rightful comeupptance by the main character to which she was a rival to. Even paul who was probably 3+ tiers higher up on the threat lidt finally lost.

People hate zoey because she was a mary sue who never got her rightful comeupptance by the main character to which she was a rival to. Even paul who was probably 3+ tiers higher up on the threat lidt finally lost.

Dude, I agree with you. I don't like DP myself, and I don't like Zoey, but that's really how I feel myself. :D

Well, I don't actually think Zoey was a mary sue. A mary sue is typically defined as a poorly developed character who's really perfect and unbeatable and uninteresting. I never thought of Zoey in this way since she had several flaws, her early stubborness, and lost several battle, though most were offscreen. She was also more of Dawn's mentor and therefore I think it made sence for the student to learn through defeat.

But it's not that important. All people have their own opinons and there's nothing wrong with that.

Zoey is the best rival and overall best character in the entire anime.

I actually thought this would be a popular opinion, but upon viewing past threads, I was surprised to see that so many people disliked her.

Certainly not me. I loved her, especially the double entendres and innuendos surrounding her and Dawn.....

Or is that just me?

Certainly not me. I loved her, especially the double entendres and innuendos surrounding her and Dawn.....

Or is that just me?

Zoey likely being a lesbian was like the one interesting thing about her. After Harley was likely gay, to have the first lesbian pokemon character was a given.

At the Snowpoint episodes they pretty much strongly implied that Zoey and Candice were a couple. I truly must applaud the writers for promoting same-sex relationships in a mature and sophisticated manner.

Or is that just me?

Zoey likely being a lesbian was like the one interesting thing about her. After Harley was likely gay, to have the first lesbian pokemon character was a given.

At the Snowpoint episodes they pretty much strongly implied that Zoey and Candice were a couple. I truly must applaud the writers for promoting same-sex relationships in a mature and sophisticated manner.

Um...what on earth are you talking about? Okay, I can understand Harley having his few feminine quirks, but what could possibly cause you guys to think that Zoey and Candice/Dawn were in a relationship or that Zoey was a lesbian. I don't remember anything like that being implied at all?!?! I seriously doubt that the writers of this show would be promoting same-sex relationships.

yeeah a children's show promoting or indicating romantic same sex relationships. o_O

Zoey never once came off as a lesbian to me. A bit of a tomboy and rough around the edges but not a lesbian. Plus Zoey and Candice are friends and Zoey just respects Candice(Ms.Senior) and Candice sees Zoey as a young sister kinda(Zoezoe). The only time I even ever thought Zoey was anything close to a lesbian was when I visited Bulbapedia at age ten and for some reason they had under trivia for Zoey as being "lesbian-like." Zoey wears suits over dresses, nothing wrong with that. Dawn and Ursula were enough girly for the audience and Zoey wasn't meant to be an airhead or girly, she's 11 apparently and meant to be mature and calm and cooler. Aiko from Ojamajo Doremi is a perfect example of a girl that wears suits often, an example of a lesbian is Haruka from Sailor Moon, that's a lesbian. Harley's "likely gay" was more so pretty much spat at the audience, what with the writers hint-dropping eccentric lines every so often("Gotta powder my nose!", Doll face, "Let's talk man to man, of course I use the term loosely~", constantly referring to Octillery as "girl" in the similar way a hair stylist would their client.) and TPCi giving him one of the "flamey" voices outta South Park and Family Guy and him crossdressing as May. I actually think that's one of the reason why Harley, imo, is one of the greatest, possibly best rival in this whole show. One of the most unique characters in Pokemon is a given.

Zoey's hatred of Coordinating Gym Challengers was interesting, the writers should have found a way to incorporate that more into the rivalry. Nando beat her and she beat Nando at the GF and kinda ended at that with no real focus. Zoey is one of the few characters in this show to achieve their goal and I still don't mind her winning the GF, I just thought it was kinda weak Dawn never actually beat her rival. It felt stupid that she never actually won given she(And Ash and Nando) had been beaten by Zoey before and May was the only one able to bring her to her knees with her oldest and most appealing Pokemon and even she struggled heavily. I remember how Ash was quite excited to see Zoey at first given Paul couldn't have given a crap about him and he would always be eager to show off his badges to her while Dawn did the same with her ribbons, that being expanded on a little more could have been interesting. If anything Zoey was more of a mentor than a rival, Ash was more of a mentor to May.

yeeah a children's show promoting or indicating romantic same sex relationships. o_O
Cardcaptor Sakura.

Not agreeing with The Fighting Misty, just putting it out there. :p

Or is that just me?

Um...what on earth are you talking about? Okay, I can understand Harley having his few feminine quirks, but what could possibly cause you guys to think that Zoey and Candice/Dawn were in a relationship or that Zoey was a lesbian. I don't remember anything like that being implied at all?!?! I seriously doubt that the writers of this show would be promoting same-sex relationships.

haha. Boy, do I know how to stir a Hornet's nest or what?!

FYI, I never said that she was a lesbian.
But you have to understand that there's a such thing
as girl crushes without a girl being a Lesbian.
Zoey just happens to be the type to express herself in such a way.

There's too much cultural bias in society today
when people can't even express their feelings
without being labeled Gay/Straight. It's sad really.
It's confusing enough as it is for people with these feelings.
They don't need people putting more undue pressure on them
by trying to tell them what is or is not "gay."

It's pretty obvious Zoey was intended to be a lesbian so I don't see the big deal. The pokemon anime stereotypes all its major characters so she was designed and written the way she was for a reason.

Or is that just me?

Oh, no. I wasn't talking to you. I was refering to The Fighting Misty. He's the one who said Zoey was a lesbian. Sorry for the confusion.
And I know what a lesbian is and I know they exisit. I was confused as to why The Fighting Misy thought Zoey was since I never pictured her as one or why he was talking about the writers promoting homosexuality.
Either way, I'll never understand why he thinks that way, but like I said before, everyone has their own opinions and that's okay.
But man, I feel really bad that my post is calling all of this discussion and debating.

Last edited:

Or is that just me?

Oh, no. I wasn't talking to you. I was refering to The Fighting Misty. He's the one who said Zoey was a lesbian. Sorry for the confusion.
And I know what a lesbian is and I know they exisit. I was confused as to why The Fighting Misy thought Zoey was since I never pictured her as one or why he was talking about the writers promoting homosexuality.
Either way, I'll never understand why he thinks that way, but like I said before, everyone has their own opinions and that's okay.
But man, I feel really bad that my post is calling all of this discussion and debating.

I realize you weren't talking to me but my post was kind of directed at the general discussion.
I didn't mean to post at you but you just happened to be the end of the quote-chain.

And my post was directed mostly at The Fighting Misty as well
but I felt I needed to set the record straight for all.

It's pretty obvious Zoey was intended to be a lesbian so I don't see the big deal. The pokemon anime stereotypes all its major characters so she was designed and written the way she was for a reason.
Maybe to you, but I saw nothing indicating any such thing. I'd say she was intended to be a tomboy and nothing more. Fans just blow these things way out of proportion. But of course, this is the same fanbase that has an entire community devoted to shipping, so what can I say?

I don't want Iris to leave, only to be causally replaced.
(Not so much about the anime itself) The TR radio show sucks. I've never listened to it, but I've seen a few of the scripts, and the skits are pretty bad.

Maybe to you, but I saw nothing indicating any such thing. I'd say she was intended to be a tomboy and nothing more. Fans just blow these things way out of proportion. But of course, this is the same fanbase that has an entire community devoted to shipping, so what can I say?
And the same fandom where a young character with A-Cups suddenly becomes a character with D-Cups. Some times they see things I just don't see...

Zoey isn't really a tomboy. She just have short hair, and she doesn't wear a skirt. She is very lady-like and feminen in her contest style.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom