• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the removal of Gyms is permanent?

Do you think that Gyms are gone forever?

• Yes, it's time to do something different.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, GameFreak won't make a change that drastic.

Votes: 47 79.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think the gym removal thing is permernant i bet its just a thing for S&M and why would they remove the GYMs cause GYMs were basicly the main point of the game winning badges then to fight in the arena.

I think I prefer that they keep it as an Alola thing and return to gyms in the future. I prefer gyms mostly.

I was pondering the toy angle again, and realized that we've already had this deal: as the Mega Ring. I am unable to find any basic package of the Mega Ring, though, if one existed. The deluxe set of it came with a load of Mega Stones, though, that are not available in the main game whatsoever. It is possible the toy is just going with the most popular of the types, which would indeed involve the 3 starter types and Electric. Normal and Fighting would seem to fit this as well.

I can't see them doing it more than once... but if they want to go in a full new direction then maybe I guess but I would go with them returning, probably if SM end up doing badly or something.

From the trailers up till now, there hasn't been a single gym logo, which is always present where the gym leader is - be it outdoors or indoors. However, I do agree that since there is nothing definitely said about there being absolutely no gyms, there is a small possibility that gyms could have become a post game thing.

Anyways, even if gyms aren't present in Gen7, I'm sure they won't just simply drop the formula. A change to the gameplay is nice, but I loved the gym system. It felt like achieving goals one by one. They'll be back for remakes for sure, but depending on how Gen7 is received, they might come back in future games.

After the Island Trials, the Gyms need to be upgraded. It will feel like a downgrade to me if we go from this amazing trial system with so many different focus points to the plain Gym challenge.

As others have said, the gym system will not be gone permanently. It's just not here in Gen VII because they wanted to try something new for the anniversary. They will return, guaranteed in remakes, most likely changed fundamentally or significantly every now and then to prevent the series from being stale, but return they will. But for now, we have the Island Trials, a welcome addition to the franchise that brings new freshness into its being.

maybe gyms will be in there but not normally like on the begining but after a while?
You know we dont know anything about the trials and whats in it.
On the map we saw something similar to a stadium on water.

maybe gyms will be in there but not normally like on the begining but after a while?
You know we dont know anything about the trials and whats in it.
On the map we saw something similar to a stadium on water.
If you're talking about the middle, artificial island, that's the Aether Paradise. So definitely less chance of Gyms.

we dont know yet what Islands they could hide from us. We know only what they want us to know.

I don't see any reason to have both the Island Trials which is the region's version of Gyms and Gyms, even in the post game, in these games. For the people that want battling, there's Team Skull, Totem Pokemon, Ultra Beasts?, the Battle Royal (which is on Akala Island) and maybe even other features.

we dont know yet what Islands they could hide from us. We know only what they want us to know.

What would be the point of Gyms in Alola? Gamefreak has made it obvious that the Island Trials will replace the Gyms in Gen VII and it would be odd if they went to all the trouble of making the Island Trials be a unique, new and refreshing take on the Gym system and then suddenly introducing Gyms later in the game. It would be like them saying "You know that cool new thing we made for these games for their anniversary? Yeah, let's forget we ever did that and reintroduce the same old thing we've given you for 20 years. See ya!" Also, the whole Island Trial thing is fitting and made for the Alola region, with its heavy emphasis on nature, native culture, and the strong bonds between trainers and Pokémon. Due to this, having regular Gyms on the region would be a sort of weird juxtaposition.

As for the island thing, I'm pretty sure that the 4 island archipelago with 1 artificial one in the middle are all the islands we get for the games. It's highly unlikely that Gamefreak has any more developed or planned in the future.

The trials feel like an Alola-only thing + an attempt to mix up the formula which I'm find with. I'm sure we'll probably see gyms again in the future but having none at the moment does feel like a fresh breath of air in my opinion.

What would be the point of Gyms in Alola? Gamefreak has made it obvious that the Island Trials will replace the Gyms in Gen VII and it would be odd if they went to all the trouble of making the Island Trials be a unique, new and refreshing take on the Gym system and then suddenly introducing Gyms later in the game. It would be like them saying "You know that cool new thing we made for these games for their anniversary? Yeah, let's forget we ever did that and reintroduce the same old thing we've given you for 20 years. See ya!" Also, the whole Island Trial thing is fitting and made for the Alola region, with its heavy emphasis on nature, native culture, and the strong bonds between trainers and Pokémon. Due to this, having regular Gyms on the region would be a sort of weird juxtaposition.

As for the island thing, I'm pretty sure that the 4 island archipelago with 1 artificial one in the middle are all the islands we get for the games. It's highly unlikely that Gamefreak has any more developed or planned in the future.
replace in "name" but we dont know how many trials(hope 8 or more like gyms and ith many battles- but with posibility of choosing them and not that you need to make all to achieve your goal, like Gary in the anime could have 10 badges but 8 were needet) and how many kahunas(4 elie four and a master was a good amount), this could be like a league but that you need to visit all islands to take part of it. Not in one place like in past generations.

Last edited:
replace in "name" but we dont know how many trials(hope 8 or more like gyms and ith many battles- but with posibility of choosing them and not that you need to make all to achieve your goal, like Gary in the anime could have 10 badges but 8 were needet) and how many kahunas(4 elie four and a master was a good amount), this could be like a league but that you need to visit all islands to take part of it. Not in one place like in past generations.
There will be at least 7 Island Trials due to one for Melemele, four for Akala, at least one for both Ula'ula and Poni. There will definitely be four Kahunas, because there is four main islands.

There will be at least 7 Island Trials due to one for Melemele, four for Akala, at least one for both Ula'ula and Poni. There will definitely be four Kahunas, because there is four main islands.
hope for a 8 that swims on a pirate boat or something. Probably we will get one more Kahuna if you look on the hidden islands in the mist.

hope for a 8 that swims on a pirate boat or something. Probably we will get one more Kahuna if you look on the hidden islands in the mist.
I highly doubt that the small islands will have trials and even Kahunas. They seem like sacred islands for legendaries.

But yeah, Gyms are definitely gone for now.

we only know that Tapu joined a Kahuna in battle like once arcticuno joined in the battle frontier in the anime, we dont know if they own them.

I doubt Gyms are perma-gone but I'd like to see them come back with more variation.

I don't think gyms are permanently gone, but there's a good chance GF would experiment with other stuff like they're doin' with the island trials. Some games'll 'em and some won't have 'em. Besides, we're still gettin' Gen IV remakes at some point, so they'd definitely have gyms.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom