• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think that the removal of Gyms is permanent?

Do you think that Gyms are gone forever?

• Yes, it's time to do something different.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No, GameFreak won't make a change that drastic.

Votes: 47 79.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
as many ppl here are saying, remakes won't keep it, though this question is interesting, as there's a vid by "Lockstin / Gnoggin" in which he states that gen 7 (SM) might reboot the series, maybe not completely, but still. it's a very long vid and one needs to be patient to see the point that is being made. now, MY point being, well, maybe not the 4 challenges thing per se, but different formats might appear more often, which doesn't mean much, seeing how SM is the first to break the mold, so twice is more than once :p

I don't think and want the series to reboot. It is fine as it is. As long as gyms return then it is fine.

Depends on what you mean by reboot. If you mean retool, it's already happening, in THIS game. If you mean nuking everything before it and starting anew, I don't ever see that happening, but a lot stuff does need fixing that would require them to rewrite the entire code from the ground up. I'd rather them make all these nice additions and restructure the plot than to potentially tear the game to shreds.

To be honest, a BW style reboot is something I can see next gen, especially after the huge content added from XY-SM. Especially if Gyms are being replaced permanently.

BW was never a reboot. It just had gen 5 only pokemon for the whole story but that was it. Like I said before, I don't see a reboot of the games and prefer that they didn't reboot the series.

BW was never a reboot. It just had gen 5 only pokemon for the whole story but that was it. Like I said before, I don't see a reboot of the games and prefer that they didn't reboot the series.

It's a soft reboot, it simplified features from previous Gens due to their accumulation and didn't allow capture of past Pokémon, the number of which had been building up, until post game. It was also in a far away setting. It was a reboot, just not a hard reboot.

A hard reboot could be really interesting. Thats somethig I sorta actually want to see but honestly dont expect.

I dont see the lack of gyms becoming permanent, however I do hope maybe they'll change up the gyms fomula slightly to make it a little different, since after 20 years the same old thing is getting kinda stale.

Of course not. Then again, I cannot see into the future just make guesstimations. If GF does remove gyms, then what will become of the gym leaders? Would they be repurposed or disappear? I would prefer the former and in an existing feature like a battle area (i.e. PWT). Maybe as trainers with careers you call on a new VS. Seeker device?

Last edited:
I also believe that gyms will return, but the question is whether or not they will be reworking the idea, so "island challenges" will be transferred to the next gen in a different way. So it is not regular battles.
But I am just really glad that they for the 20th anniversary tried something new and fresh

I do not believe in hard or soft reboots. I only believe in one form of reboot when they choose to start the game franchise from scratch again. I doubt that would happen and hope it doesn't. So no, I don't consider BW a reboot.

As for gyms, I reckon they taking a break with them for Alola but would be back later.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom