• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Double standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is it OK for, say, Japan to take the story of Macbeth and set it there, but not for the US to take a story from overseas and set it here?

Well, Throne of Blood was made in the 60's, so if there's an expectation that US studios shouldn't set overseas films in the US, it was probably not around then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECJsKrdfN7o

I was randoming going around youtube, and came across this. This video is a perfect example of double standards between males and females(though it goes after females more, watch the whole thing and you'll find out why).

One thing I hate about gender roles is how for a man, it's somehow a responsibility to "get laid" (movies like the 40-Year-Old Virgin give you that impression). If I want to stay single, it's of my own accord, not because I'm some inept loser. It's even worse when you consider how being single is seen as empowerment for females.

What "feminist leadership" are you talking about? We're not a cult.

I'm pretty sure you'd blanch with outrage if I told you that, as a man, you have no choice but to take responsibility and stage a public outcry every time a misogynist

Bluntly? Yes, because your "example" is blatant sexism and mine is not.

I will NEVER condemn a woman on the simple fact that some feminist somewhere claimed something. Never, ever. Because her being a woman does not in any way, form or shape implicate that she has any part in, or responsibility toward the feminist movement (and conversely, NOT being a woman doesn't mean you aren't part of the feminist movement). What I will condemn is feminists who let vocal feminists get away with setting the tone of the feminist public (ie, not message boards) message, then complain when people associate feminism with the message of the vocal feminists.

Your example, on the other hand, involve condemning me for "not opposing misogynism" on the simple fact that I was born with a dick.

See the difference? I'm denouncing people based on opinion. You'd be (hypothetically) denouncing people based on what body parts they have.

If, on the other hand, you thought of a group I identify with - liberals for example - and look around the forum, you will find that, guess what? I spend as much time at least fighting extreme liberals as fighting conservatives. Sometime more. When somebody gives a bad name to a group I identify to, I either denounce them, or, if I'm too tired, just kind of tone down my associations with that group for a while, and accept that I'm letting someone give my group a bad name.

Last edited:
I'm of the belief that feminism is about choice. Let the ladies choose what they want to be. In that same vein, I think those who look their nose down at stay-at-home moms (Or outright call them stupid or "conforming to the patriarchy") are such assheads the air around them is turning brown.

In response to movies like the 40-year-old virgin, I say that I both choose to be single, AND I'm an inept loser. :D

Another double standard I dislike is the cultural expectations around sex and how they vary from the genders. If a guy sleeps around with a ton of women and tells others about it, he's usually complimented for scoring. If a woman does, she's condemned as a "slut" or a "whore". My personal view is that men should be equally condemned for sleeping around (I'm a big believer in monogamous relationships- call me prudish if you want, but I really think sex should be something special between you and the one you love), especially as the women being slept around with are usually the ones stuck dealing with problems once the man's long gone (pregnancy, diseases, etc.) How men can get out of any responsibility like that drives me nuts.

Blackjack, you make some good points. I'm especially harassed at the fact at school that I've never had a real girlfriend. I'm like 'I don't want to be sharing myself with a bunch of other people before I find someone I really like'

Another little double standard I find is that students are encouraged to eat healthy and given paste like food and milk and stuff as a result. Most of them anyways. But the teachers, they get ice little breakfasts with soda, bacon, the works. Bit of a double standard to me.

Another double standard I dislike is the cultural expectations around sex and how they vary from the genders. If a guy sleeps around with a ton of women and tells others about it, he's usually complimented for scoring. If a woman does, she's condemned as a "slut" or a "whore". My personal view is that men should be equally condemned for sleeping around (I'm a big believer in monogamous relationships- call me prudish if you want, but I really think sex should be something special between you and the one you love), especially as the women being slept around with are usually the ones stuck dealing with problems once the man's long gone (pregnancy, diseases, etc.) How men can get out of any responsibility like that drives me nuts.

I completely agree with you there.

Heres one i was in my health class and the teacher is reading a fact chart about smoking it says that one group of people smoke more cigars then the other groups and the one group of kids in my class said yup its true,but when the teacher says that there group smokes the most cigarettes they get all mad and say What thats racist it cant be true. that makes me mad.

Heres one i was in my health class and the teacher is reading a fact chart about smoking it says that one group of people smoke more cigars then the other groups and the one group of kids in my class said yup its true,but when the teacher says that there group smokes the most cigarettes they get all mad and say What thats racist it cant be true. that makes me mad.

They're being contradictory. It's how some people are. They'll bring some other groups down and then deny it when someone points out anything about them. (ignoring previous discussion)

The same goes for gay men. So it's not an issue of all men getting out of any responsibility, just the heterosexual sector. Indeed, it really is a shame that only straight men are viewed positively by their peers if they get a lot of girls. Some people use the logic of "it's harder for men to get sex than for a woman or for a gay man," though I find that logic to be kinda bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom