• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DPS01: Hikari - Setting Off on a New Journey! ・ DPS02: Nibi Gym - The Greatest Crisis Ever!

hope the dub is after the pinwheel forest episode

Seen This EPISODE (dawn) and it's close to a rewrite to Episode 1 of DP

I wasn't a big fan of the Dawn episode, but the Brock episode was fun. The battle between Rhypheior and Latias was pretty good.

Brock_Memories.png

Best part of whole two-parter...

Seeing Piplup hog the screen in that picture is pretty telling of how it was in the actual series.

Is there any announcement this specials will be dubbed and shown in US-a!?
And is there any sign that they are going to make some new specials!? I really miss Dawn and sometimes Brock! They really gave the show something! And these specials were pretty good filers in comparing these fillers from BW! They both need some Unova pokemons!

We still have no word about an English release.

TPCI may not even bother, as ridiculous as that sounds.

I think they'll be dubbed and just directly released to DVD if nothing else. If PUSA dubbed the ridiculous 5 minute Ranger shorts, I am sure they'll dub these.

Not likely. It seems unlikely they'll put tack them to the end of the DP Sinnoh League Victors box set because of the episode count of those things (11-11-12). Yeah, they could put them on the Black & White box sets, but those won't start coming out until this summer at the earliest. That's a long time to wait.

I watched the episode's today and I wasn't very happy with the Dawn special.

Dawn Special - Why, why did they have to put in a character like Shinko? She annoyed me so badly and really reminded me of Miyako from Digimon 02 and I couldn't stand her either. That Dawn's new journey is going to start in Hoenn was ofcourse going to happen, not that unpredictable. I wished though that she was going to Kanto. And where is Barry? If he deserves a mention, he could've that easily appeared in this episode. And the Ariados, even Spearow didn't appear that often to give Ash a new drama.

Quilava evolving was a really bad idea, I expected Buneary to evolve for some reason.

Overal, I didn't like this episode, at all.

Brock Special - This is more like it! Glad to see Brock for the last time and his weird family. Oh, and I'm happy the frog did appear although for a very short time, but enough to make me laugh. The battle between Sudowoodo and Chansey was brilliant, Rhyperior VS. Latias was better handled then Ash's Pikachu VS. Latias (+ Glad to see that Forrest can train his own Pokémon).

I'm assuming Brock's Chansey went to the Chansey School from that Blissey episode, but it didn't really bug me.

But I wonder, where the hell are Geodude, Crobat, Forretress, Ludicolo and Marshtomp!? These Pokémon should appear after all and not that Marill which disturbed me for some reason.

Both were good - but I liked Brock's special more. It was nice to see him battle as a 'gym leader' again, even if it was temporary.

@ThePuppetMaster; Stealing his reviewing style because it looks really clean.

Felt really good to see "new" episodes on Hikari and Takeshi two years after their departures. I finally got to see them after so long, I think that's what really made them more enjoyable for me. Seeing them after a 100 episodes of BW has more of an impact than seeing them after 25 episodes of BW.

Hikari - Setting off on a New Journey!

• Hinoarashi's evolution scene, it looked pretty nice. Not to mention the Pokemon itself is pretty cute and seeing it evolve into a Magmarashi and wield that badass new Eruption was golden and made me smile.
  • Gotta love that music, remixed in fact. Really liked hearing Saikyou Everyday, By Your Side~Hikari's Theme, and Kimi Mune Lalala. Hikari's Theme playing during Hinoarashi's evolution was icing.
  • The Contest Battle at the beginning was pretty okay, I loved the reference to the Grand Festival with Ayako's Nyarumaa using Slap Hands to nullify Hydro Pump.

• That different-colored Ariados was actually a bit of a highlight, being able to use a dynamic move like Psychic too. I agree with Iteru though it would have been a bit more realistic for Magmarashi to counter it with Extrasensory than just having the sheer strength to fend it off. I'm suppose to believe Mammoo can't break free of that move but Magmarashi can?

Bad Points:
  • They kinda overdid it with the episode rehashes, while I was okay with the Slap Hands scene the Ariados encounter and Pokemon escaping from the lab scenes seemed kinda overdone.
  • The constant Pochama and Hinoarashi scraps got tedious and I'm glad Magmarashi matured upon evolving and stopped that.

• I realize they just appeared to appear, but I didn't care about the rest of Hikari's team. It reminded me how stagnating Mimirol, Pachirisu, and Pochama were.(At least in terms of maturity, Pochama has been the same since day one) Togekiss was just kinda...there, shame since the Pokemon itself is cool.

• Shinko was bland, her catchphrase and quirk with the notepad got annoying.

• I'm so tired of Speed Star, Bubblebeam, and Shadow Ball.

*Overall, I think to really appreciate this episode, like someone else said you really have to be a big fan of Hikari.

Nibi Gym - The Greatest Crisis Ever!

Good Points:
  • Takeshi's pictures with his past traveling companions, gotta love that.
  • Jiro and Joi's battle was actually pretty good, Jiro is a beast to almost beat a Latias. Not to mention it scored several direct hits against Latias and he used Megahorn due to the super-effective power of it. The fact he managed to cause more damage and his attacks were more effective than Pikachu's against Latios, coupled with the fact he's one of the few characters in this series who can go toe to toe with a Legendary makes me view him as one of the stronger Kanto leaders.
  • I guess Takeshi's parents were good, tbh, I don't really care about solely comedic actions.
  • Takeshi's Paradise and the animation were just beautiful ;__;

• Usokkie VS. Lucky, sure it was comedy. It was refreshing to see a move like Minimize and Mero-mero not being overpowered. I definitely think the battle should have been much longer, DoubleSlap really ate away that much of Usokkie's health for Takeshi to say that ._. and Flail looked very pathetic compared to when it was used against Muskippa when it evolved? ._. It's one of my favorites of the DP Pokemon so it kinda sucked it went down so easily to Egg Bomb and DoubleSlap.
  • The siblings managed to be entertaining especially when they connected Usokkie's infatuation to Takeshi's own behavior.

Bad Points:

• More Gureggru and Lucky please, especially the latter given I feel she was an integral part in Takeshi choosing to be a Pokemon Doctor.

*Even though we've seen the "Nibi Gym in peril." plot before, I was pretty engrossed with Takeshi's Special from start to finish. I think him not doing relatively anything in DP for the later half makes you appreciate him more in this episode.

Overall, neither Takeshi nor Hikari are terribly interesting enough to carry a Special on their own, at least in Hikari's case. But overall I'd say the Takeshi Special was great and the Hikari one was average.

Last edited:
I decided I want to give the episodes a shot, but...

Dawn's episode was pretty bad. Why did they have to repeat the first episode with an additional obnoxious character? There could've been a much greater episode like Dawn's Buneary having a photoshoot and evolves after she battles a great Pokémon Stylist or something, Dawn and Barry (why did they exclude him in the first place?) deciding to travel together in the Hoenn region, Dawn having one last battle with Johanna etc. That could've been nice. Why did Cyndaquil evolve in the first place? Cyndaquil was in my eyes, way to inexperienced to evolve at all.

And there's the Brock episode. It didn't really develop Brock's new goal. And if they're going to debut Latias in the anime, why not make a fun little plot around it, like Brock having a hard time to cure Latias or something. But I still liked it nonetheless.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom