• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dubs or Subs?

Which do you prefer, dubs or subs?

• Dubs

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Subs

Votes: 44 36.7%
  • It depends on the show

Votes: 50 41.7%
  • Neither; I speak Japanese

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, I prefer to watch the original episode without any subtitles at all, in the original Japanese, but also I wish that the subtitles could be turned on and off like in DVD's (online I don't have that option) so I can at least one time I can understand whats going on what the characters are saying. Subtitles to be in a language I understand (English or Spanish)

It really depends on the show. I prefer Pokemon episodes with no subs and in Japanese. Of course I also follow the dub but not as punctually as I follow JP raws.
For Naruto, I prefer subbed episodes. And last, One Piece, I wouldn't mind the Japanese with subs but right now, I am following the funimation dub.

I really don't mind either way. If the anime has a dub, I'll watch the dub, simply because it's simpler than reading subs, and sometimes dubs can be very amusing. However, if the anime doesn't have a dub, then I have no problems with watching the sub. I'll honestly never understand people who start hate wars over subs and dubs, it makes no sense.

My Japanese isn't that good, but it's enough to understand the anime I like, so lately I only watch raw. I only get subbed when I can't understand anything.

It depends on the show, but for the most part, I'm more into dubs than subs. I usually start watching a series with its dub and I tend to be content with most of the dubs I've watched. There are some series that I've seen subbed after watching their dubs, such as the various Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon series. There are also a couple of series where I'm perfectly fine with just seeing the subbed version, although the only examples I can think of at the moment for that are Hikaru No Go and Madoka, but it still generally depends on the show itself.

I don't watch anime much but...
Subs, I love the sound of people talking in Japanese even though I can't understand it.

For me it depends on the show
for example I watch soul eater in english, while I watch Zexal and Naruto in Japanese

I prefer dubs most of the time but I like both, I usually watch a series either twice over with the different languages or switch between them on first watching. I feel like dubs get an unnecessarily bad rap because of the bad dubs from the late 80's - mid 90's and people assume that ALL dubs are like that (poor acting due to bad directors, unnecessary cutting, censoring, and editing, etc) even though that practice has largely been abandoned except in very few cases.

They also assume that English voice actors are just guys off the street who only do it for the money when they are highly trained professionals in acting most of the time, and really care about the show. They don't really get paid much for it, so they do it because they really enjoy it. The amount of effort put into a dub is immense and it's sad how little people appreciate it.

I mean yeah there are bad dubs out there, but most of them nowadays are just as good as the original.

I'd like to give an example for why subs are better. The reason i believe that subs are better is because when you change an original piece, no matter how hard you try some meaning will eventually be lost, even in subs meaning is lost, though when speaking characters the dubs tend to change the words to conform with the ideas the culture i can recognize with. an example is an american character in the anime "angel Beats" where he only speaks English. of course when the English dub was released he still speaks English and the other characters can't understand his clear words even though he speaks the same language.

even in subs meaning is lost,

Really, the only way you'd get every little thing from the original is to study Japanese thoroughly but while some have, others can't be bothered to.

In fact, I'd like to argue that dubs are better in this regard. Here me out: not all American Anime viewers are going to get a reference to JPN culture or certain wordplays, especially if it's meant to be humorous and therefore not many will be all "LMAO." Oh sure you can use linear notes or translations notes (for fan subs) but as the Joker says, "if you explain the joke there is no joke." Maybe the dub joke isn't really funny but you're not likely to get the puns in the JPN version without an explanation (unless you're studying Japan's culture). This is why I like FUNimation's dubs (outside DB, DBZ, GT and anything prior to Kai) since they use these Woolseyisms very well.

Yeah, you lose something but if it doesn't hurt the final product, it shouldn't be such a big deal. No need to be so uptight unless it's something big like Voltron or 4kids' One Piece.

Yeah, you lose something but if it doesn't hurt the final product, it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I agree to your opinion in relation to anime viewers who just want to watch something and not have to bother. i myself sometimes watch the english dub on a re-watch. i would only suggest dubs for people trying to get into anime. Most people who i know that are already into it watch subs. I have to argue that someone who watches anime may be able to understand some puns and phrases because they have heard them repeated. i also have to point out that as long as a company does not change the dub to make viewers understand it better the sub and dub are the same. The last point i want to make is i believe anything that is made to be a specific way should be kept that way as much as possible, so whenever people are watching something from other countries they should watch it in that countries language.

Yeah, you lose something but if it doesn't hurt the final product, it shouldn't be such a big deal.
i would only suggest dubs for people trying to get into anime. Most people who i know that are already into it watch subs. I have to argue that someone who watches anime may be able to understand some puns and phrases because they have heard them repeated.

I watch dubs mostly because it's my preference and while I'm not at all against watching it in Japanese, I seem to connect with the show more when I hear it in my native language. Like I absorb the info better when it's spoken and not spelled.

While that may be true for some, humor works best when it's not spelt out for you as I said. Sure you could come to understand it but there wouldn't be much humor in that. While a dub should retain everything from the original version, it never hurt to use Woolseyisms when necessary.

i would only suggest dubs for people trying to get into anime. Most people who i know that are already into it watch subs. I have to argue that someone who watches anime may be able to understand some puns and phrases because they have heard them repeated.

I watch dubs mostly because it's my preference and while I'm not at all against watching it in Japanese, I seem to connect with the show more when I hear it in my native language. Like I absorb the info better when it's spoken and not spelled.

While that may be true for some, humor works best when it's not spelt out for you as I said. Sure you could come to understand it but there wouldn't be much humor in that. While a dub should retain everything from the original version, it never hurt to use Woolseyisms when necessary.

We seem to be very opposite as i feel i absorb more watching the subs. i tend to multi-task when i watch things so when i have to read subs i don't usually have time to do so, which leads me to focus more on the show than i normally would.

We seem to be very opposite as i feel i absorb more watching the subs. i tend to multi-task when i watch things so when i have to read subs i don't usually have time to do so, which leads me to focus more on the show than i normally would.

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Back on topic: when asked about how the English dub changed some of the jokes to things more familiar to a western audience, Shinichi Watanabe stated something to the effect of: "I don't care, as long as it still makes people laugh."

Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Back on topic: when asked about how the English dub changed some of the jokes to things more familiar to a western audience, Shinichi Watanabe stated something to the effect of: "I don't care, as long as it still makes people laugh."

we never left the topic of subs or dubs and why? as i have said i rather know what the intention of the writer, but for those who just want to see the plot unfold dubs are fine. Watanabe is the middle man who iis the voice of the consumers and the company to make anime more widely know while stopping some of the writers meaning. while his influence in an anime changes almost nothing, i feel there is an added layer of understanding if another filter is not added.

Both, though I'll be honest and say that I kinda prefer dubs since English is... my primary language and pretty much the only one I speak fluently. :[

With subs, I like them because it helps me learn better. I am learning Japanese so putting a word to the dialogue makes things better. Problem is... they speak too fast :-/

The only anime whose dub I liked more than the sub was Keroro Gunso. It's just funnier I guess.

It depends on what anime I'm watching. I grew up with and am more used to the dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh DM and GX, but I watch 5D's and zeXal almost exclusively subbed(because 5D's really made me see how much crap 4Kids is). Pokemon I actually watch both subbed and dubbed. I watch Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon subbed because the dub is HORRID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom