• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Funny mistakes

Thinking my Charizard and Pikachu could KO all the members of the Pokemon League in Yellow

At some point I thought that pokemon got more experience by fighting pokemon whose type was strong against them. I have no idea why I thought that though. D:

When I played Red version when it first came out, when I captured a Doduo for the first time, I thought it was the evolved form of Farfetch'd (because Doduo is the next Pokemon in the Pokedex following Farfetch'd, and they're both birds), so I released the Farfetch'd I got in Vermilion City, which was the only one in the whole game! xD

At some point I thought that pokemon got more experience by fighting pokemon whose type was strong against them. I have no idea why I thought that though. D:
Yeah, this was an early mistake of mine, too. That, and thinking Explosion permanently killed your pokemon.

Oh gosh....
SomeAwheadslap.gif
When I first got Red and Blue, I noticed that when a Pokémon appeared, these odd sounds would play. I showed it to my sister (my younger sister, who never played the games, either), who suggested those were their cries. :banghead:

Last edited:
On my first play through of LeafGreen, I tried to Dig under the tree that that lead to Rock Tunnel, not knowing that HMs even existed.

Trying EVERYTHING I had seen Ash do in the Anime, thinking it would work.

Such as trying to train my Wartortle by having it fight all the way through the Vermillion Gym on it's own, because I though that by fighting against Electric-types it would become strong against them.

I also got extremely pissed off when I realized that I COULDNT bring the rocks and bait with me after leaving the Safari zone. I seriously thought I could throw rocks at Gym Leader's Pokemon to weaken them.

I was like, seven.

In yellow, I thought to release a pokemon was to let it out and follow you like pikachu did.

I almost cried when I lost my charmander.

This is more funny than a mistake, but I think it should go here (since I don't want to start a new thread for it).

I was getting Defense EVs for my Shuckle in the Ruin Manic's Cave. Since she can't take on those Geodude by herself, I was switching out for my Togetic to take them out instead. Now, as we all know, Geodude like to Selfdestruct all the time. I got Togetic to use Metronome for fun.

So I get to my second Geodude. Switch out to Togetic, Geodude uses a move other than Selfdestruct. I select Metronome, and think 'how funny would it be if he used Selfdestruct?'

I look up from my DS for a moment, and when I look back down...
TYSON used Selfdestruct!
That made me burst out laughing. That was just an epic coincidence!

Well in my first game, Yellow, i was trying to get my Bulbasaur put of the box and i though i pressed withdraw when i really pressed release and the thing saves when u move to different boxes so i went looking for it seeing if i moved somehow not knowing.

And in Ruby i think it was, i was trying to evolve my Skitty and i thought it evolved by lv up but then i found it evolves by moon stone so i felt a lil dumb.

Well in Firered I thought my Charizard could beat Lorelei in one shot because she uses Ice types but then I realized her Ice types are dual with Water types so my burning buddy got creamed why must they lie to us!!!

Trying EVERYTHING I had seen Ash do in the Anime, thinking it would work.

Such as trying to train my Wartortle by having it fight all the way through the Vermillion Gym on it's own, because I though that by fighting against Electric-types it would become strong against them.

I also got extremely pissed off when I realized that I COULDNT bring the rocks and bait with me after leaving the Safari zone. I seriously thought I could throw rocks at Gym Leader's Pokemon to weaken them.

I was like, seven.

YES. On Yellow I had Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charizard. I could never beat the elite four though. :)

In silver, my first game, I started breeding pokemon, instantly taking a liking to it. I had a spearow and cyndaquil in the daycare for like a week wondering why the heck there was no egg. . .

I used to think that the day-care lady was that woman from the anime who loved snubbull, so I gave her my lvl 13 snubbull.
Later on I was just walking around, I went inside the house to check my old snubbull and it was lvl 72! Then I trained it 1 lvl and I had a lvl 73 granbull

this bugs me to no end now....
i was borrowing my friends firered, and i was in the safari zone, i battled a dratini, knowing that dratini is rare i tried to catch it. didnt work, i was thinking "oh well ill just buy one in celadon city" i found ut later..... it was a SHINING dratini. i knew what a shiny was at the time, i just thought it was dratinis normal sprite for firered,a couple months later i got a shiny dratini in a trade on my diamond version.... look at its color

CRAP!!!!!!!!!

I thought stat raisers were just a trick, so I never used any of them. All I ever had was damaging ones.

yeah, i was dumb.

in blue, used tail whip thinking the pokemon would use its tail like a whip, kinda like iron tail... then no damage... WTF!!!

I was playing my first pokemon game, and when my pokemon evolved I restarted because I thought it was dying or something.:ksmile:

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom