• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Pokemon Switch has possibly been in production since 2015, when Nintendo distributed Switch dev kits. Of course, that would've only been conceptual/alpha stages and nothing significant would've started until 2016 -- but it's known that Gamefreak (Pokemon-wise) consistently has about 2 projects going simultaneously (there's plenty of sources for this, but one I remember that's more recent is a GameInformer interview where they got to tour GF's building and learned that they have two separate development areas which each focus on a different Pokemon game). XY was being developed alongside B2W2, ORAS was developed alongside XY's final year of development, SM was developed alongside ORAS, and Pokemon Switch is likely to have been in development alongside both SM and USUM over time. Even if Pokemon Switch releases in 2018, it was likely worked on for about 3 years - the same as XY and SM.

You are contradicting yourself slightly. You say XY was developed alongside BW2.... and later you say XY took 3 years to develop, while there was only a year and a half in between (They didn't need to develop BW2 fully, since they already had the Pokemon sprites. XY was produced alongside BW (Which makes it a three year gap). They started developing ORAS alongside XY from late 2011/early 2012... with SUMO being developed alongside ORAS when XY was released in 2013 and from the time of ORAS release 2014 (Maybe a year later, since its a third installment USUM was developed alongside SUMO, since they have the sprites for both games). So even if they have started in 2016 with the Switch game, that still means it comes out 3 years later, since its a new gen.

Usually gap years are every 4 years. 2015, 2011, 2007, 2003, 1999 wasn't a gap year because of a delay, and there was also a gap year in 2005 but then 2 games (FRLG and Emerald) came out the year before on 2004. So I think it's fairly safe to say the next gap is planned for 2019.

Nintendo in their official financial statement, so not some promo, but official business cited 2018 as the intended release, misleading fans is one thing, misleading shareholders is another.

Yes they acknowledged it could be delayed into 2019, however since then they have informed us they moved their entire A team onto the switch project and left usum almost entirely to the new comers. More recently, the pace of the anime has rapidly picked up, the games don't follow the anime, the anime follows the games, so clearly the anime team feel a sense of urgency and a need to rush, not the actions of someone who thinks they may have to stall or delay for a bit, they're not going to rush through their main story to then squeeze in a filler arc.

As for the games being rushed, work most likely started in 2015 with the dev kits, 3 almost 4 years is enough to make a game, and we've already seen the USUM engine and graphics are scalable to 4K, if a YouTuber can scale up I'm sure game freak can and there are full size walking models in the games coding just laying their unused.

Black/White came out immediately after HGSS I've never seen them as rushed. XY came out the year after B2W2 I did find them incomplete as in I believe a 3rd instalment was planned at some stage but scrapped they didn't feel rushed.

Sun/Moon however came out after a year long break and still felt very rushed, with GF even admitting it essentially by confessing they wanted to do more with the trials and add more content. To me USUM was the game they wanted to release in 2016 essentially.

So I really don't buy into this theory that if they are released in 2018 they're rushed but if they wait until 2019 that guarantees success.

And leaving a space in your year long legendary distribution when there were plenty of candidates available, Solgaleo/Lunala, Shiny Necrozma etc is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
I've always been under the assumption that for better or worse gen 7 was meant to be a stepping stone for them to get to the Switch game. It was always meant to be an anniversary set of games and given how they've talked about them and released them it seems to be the case. I loved gen 7, but I honestly can't see given the current climate how they can stretch it out for an entire 2 years more almost. I think gen 7 did the job it was meant to and all it needed to. From all we've heard directly from them about production it almost seemed like they put out SM/USUM just to hold us over until they were finished with the Switch game. That's not a bad thing, but it does show that they had their attention elsewhere. I honestly believe if the Switch game wasn't even a thing we would have gotten SM in the form of USUM right from the beginning and then potentially DP remakes on the 3ds. In that scenario they wouldn't have to worry about a bigger game coming necessarily and could go on with their usual routine. The huge jump clearly changed their timetable to some degree and that's why it seems like we have our first gen that is only lasting 2 years rather than 3. It's just a situation that is what it is. (as far as we can tell) If the game doesn't come out this year specifically then I'd say we will see it no later than the end of Q1 of next year. (so Jan - Mar) There's just not enough for any of the franchise to stretch out.

Also I too disagree with the idea that if it comes out this year the game will be "bad" in some way. I may be a little bias in this, but I honestly hated DP. Yes I know many problems got fixed in Platinum, but that's just the thing. DP were delayed by at least a year. That means they had more time to work on the project. Despite this extra time the game is incredibly slow and the overall story isn't very well paced. So while some time does help developers it's not always something that makes a game great.

Source update mini: So as a tiny little thing my source is saying that the new game may be kind of a mix between BW and SM in terms of story telling. So anyone that hates a story driven adventure better get ready for that. hahaha I for one am kind of excited for that. BW and SM are two of my favorite games in the franchise so it's a welcome possibility if they're gonna do something a bit more in depth.

I've always been under the assumption that for better or worse gen 7 was meant to be a stepping stone for them to get to the Switch game. It was always meant to be an anniversary set of games and given how they've talked about them and released them it seems to be the case. I loved gen 7, but I honestly can't see given the current climate how they can stretch it out for an entire 2 years more almost. I think gen 7 did the job it was meant to and all it needed to. From all we've heard directly from them about production it almost seemed like they put out SM/USUM just to hold us over until they were finished with the Switch game. That's not a bad thing, but it does show that they had their attention elsewhere. I honestly believe if the Switch game wasn't even a thing we would have gotten SM in the form of USUM right from the beginning and then potentially DP remakes on the 3ds. In that scenario they wouldn't have to worry about a bigger game coming necessarily and could go on with their usual routine. The huge jump clearly changed their timetable to some degree and that's why it seems like we have our first gen that is only lasting 2 years rather than 3. It's just a situation that is what it is. (as far as we can tell) If the game doesn't come out this year specifically then I'd say we will see it no later than the end of Q1 of next year. (so Jan - Mar) There's just not enough for any of the franchise to stretch out.

Also I too disagree with the idea that if it comes out this year the game will be "bad" in some way. I may be a little bias in this, but I honestly hated DP. Yes I know many problems got fixed in Platinum, but that's just the thing. DP were delayed by at least a year. That means they had more time to work on the project. Despite this extra time the game is incredibly slow and the overall story isn't very well paced. So while some time does help developers it's not always something that makes a game great.

Source update mini: So as a tiny little thing my source is saying that the new game may be kind of a mix between BW and SM in terms of story telling. So anyone that hates a story driven adventure better get ready for that. hahaha I for one am kind of excited for that. BW and SM are two of my favorite games in the franchise so it's a welcome possibility if they're gonna do something a bit more in depth.
More BW/BW2 please!!!

More BW/BW2 please!!!

As long as they don't backpedal on the back guys plot I'll be good with it. The only problem with BW2 I had was that they changed TP from a team that had a valid point to a team that was just plain evil. Kind of lame if you ask me haha

As long as they don't backpedal on the back guys plot I'll be good with it. The only problem with BW2 I had was that they changed TP from a team that had a valid point to a team that was just plain evil. Kind of lame if you ask me haha
Not to me it made sense the charade was up so they up the stakes and anty plus was a thrill ride but to each there own.

That's cool that it will be more story driven. I love those type-RPG games like newest Final Fantasy games, because I love Square did that for Play Station system. I wonder the game will have a darker storyline like we has seen in US/UM games,because I known it got darker for each generations.

Well yeah X and Y were lackluster, but that was because this was their first transition into 3D, this had to include environments, characters and of course over 700 pokemon. But now they're getting used to 3D and they have all the assets in terms of pokemon. They switch games will just make things more expansive. Have you ever seen Sun and Moon, when you take the outlines off? I imagine the switch games looking like that.

And this game will be their first transition into HD and console and has to include over 800 Pokemon plus characters and environments. So what makes you think it'll end up any better this time.

XY wasn't good because GF struggled with making a game for the 3DS, you think they could make a game for the Switch in a year with no break?

I can agree, to an extent...X/Y, much as I love the gameplay innovations and ideas, came with it's fair share of hiccups and shortcomings as a 3DS game. Visually it already looks kinda dated, because it wasn't until SM that they managed to flesh out the graphics and take us off of the grid based map. The Pokemon models were great, but they were also too good for the system that they were developing for...Which led to all of those frame-rate drops during Doubles, Triples, etc. Camera is also really awkward in places like Azure Bay or the Badlands, which should probably not have that top-down perspective...Lumiose City's is just all over the place, changing views when you go from skating to biking or walking. And speaking of Lumiose City, there was that game breaking save glitch from the first week......

Just in general, Game Freak's first attempt on any new piece of hardware is usually not their best or most refined work. It's often the later installments that have the most polish, content, and...Stability :s The more time they have the better.

Last edited:
And this game will be their first transition into HD and console and has to include over 800 Pokemon plus characters and environments. So what makes you think it'll end up any better this time.
Cause even Sun and Moon has shown that there's a lot the GF wanted to do but the 3DS heavily limits it. I also already mentioned the already have tons of assets via the current models of pokemon. I also already mentioned how and HD version of the game can look with a video I showed earlier.

Just in general, Game Freak's first attempt on any new piece of hardware is usually not their best or most refined work. It's often the later installments that have the most polish, content, and...Stability :s The more time they have the better.
Unfortunately they may have to use us to find all those flaws and whatnot. They may not be able to fully find all the flaws with extra time because they have other stuff to do probably. At this point GF does only make pokemon with few games else in their repertoire, but they are constantly trying to give us new enjoyment and thus need to concentrate on that as well.

So more time in general does not always make a difference. I do rather them try to take their time and make sure we have a decently solid game. I love good story, but I did get annoyed by SM's constant cutscenes and being forced to go some certain place basically non stop. And I hated how lack luster XY was, and how badly paced the first three gyms were compared to the rest of the gyms. But each games had their own greatness.

The more time the better is only better if they are actually going to bother trying to fix the most major issues.

How much does Game Freak needs to care about quality, when most fans will buy the games anyways? We saw how they tricked the fandom into buying USUM.

How much does Game Freak needs to care about quality, when most fans will buy the games anyways? We saw how they tricked the fandom into buying USUM.
Well for starters they tricked most fans making us think those games are sequels(which they should've been imho S/M ending even tease as such) with the fusion stuff exactly like BW2 and the "alternate story" talk (yes I know alternate has more than one meaning but c'mon). I hope for Switch they market what they're really selling and make advancement for feature they think people forgot about.

Well for starters they tricked most fans making us think those games are sequels(which they should've been imho S/M ending even tease as such) with the fusion stuff exactly like BW2 and the "alternate story" talk (yes I know alternate has more than one meaning but c'mon). I hope for Switch they market what they're really selling and make advancement for feature they think people forgot about.

I do like the storyline in S/M,but I do like they alterned in US/UM better and it has a darker feel to it.

No, Game Freak did not trick fans into thinking USUM were sequels. In the first announcement, Masuda outright stated they were an alternate universe set in the time of Sun and Moon. What happened is that fans completely and utterly ignored that statement and spread the falsehood that they were sequels.

I'm sorry, but I get so irritated when people don't listen to what's factually being said and they easily fall for any rumor they come across.

No, Game Freak did not trick fans into thinking USUM were sequels. In the first announcement, Masuda outright stated they were an alternate universe set in the time of Sun and Moon. What happened is that fans completely and utterly ignored that statement and spread the falsehood that they were sequels.

I'm sorry, but I get so irritated when people don't listen to what's factually being said and they easily fall for any rumor they come across.
He never said alternate universe per say that's why I put "Alternate Story" in quotations its interpret differently to many also you can't blame fans for thinking they are especially putting 2 clearly BW2 inspired fusions in the boxart of course fans will assume that their sequels should've been 1 game.

Last edited:

What they didn't do is warn us that they hardly changed the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom