• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my thoughts on todays Pokemon Go events:

- I absolutely dislike the whole concept of Pokemon Go. I like my games to be games, and real locations, to be real locations. Turning the world that surrounds us into a game, is a bad idea. You are meant to look at nature, and talk about stuff when going out, not looking for Pokemon around the streets.

- My personal opinion apart, I consider Pokemon Go to be a cool idea ON PAPER, but not practical at all. Nintendo seem to target 30 year olds, but it is a POKEMON GAME. Most people lack sensibility and make fun of people older than 12 who like pokemon. I can´t see those guys from the video, searching for Pokemon in real life. They would fear being mocked for it. Most people will not play the games outside, and I´m surprised Nintendo don´t realize that.

- The worst thing about Pokemon Go, is that it will take some of the attention and even time from the main series, and that is awful for traditional handheld console fans like myself. I like Pokemon as it is, don´t turn it into something different.

- The fact that those game are going to be connected to the main series doesn´t sound positive to me. Again, it could create a kind of dependance, which annoys me.

- Why did they show the timeline? Are they announcing a new era in Pokemon? Hope not. It sounds very mobile mentalized to me...

- Shigeru Ohmori is NOT envolved in Pokemon Go. It´s a different Shigeru, who is a Nintendo director. And that´s good, cause I´m delighted with Ohmori´s direction of ORAS, and I´m glad he is not moving to Go like Masuda...

-I´m concerned about the future of the main games, if this Go thing is just a start in their mobile mentalized games. If it is nothing more than a side game, and doesn´t become a major thing im ok with it.

- I really can´t figure out when is the next main series game being announced.

- I´m very glad that the game I was expecting the most, OR/AS, was created before that Pokemon Go thing was announced. I have some doubts about the quality of the main series from now on, if they start targeting mobile players for real, and the direction they might be taking from now on. I hope they keep the main series like they are, and forget about smart pones.

um. well im pretty sure at least over half of us here are 20 or older. ive never seen anyone being made or making fun of anyone over 12.

Sure people would, if they were to market the Gen. VII Kalos games as a new generation. Kanto got to be in two successive generations - this would just be that, more or less. Southern Kalos would be the "Johto," and would be adjacent to northern Kalos (the "Kanto").
So you're expecting two new regions to be introduced in the same generation, in addition to an old region being prominently featured. Unless you think that southern Kalos is going to be a small expansion rather than its own region, in which case you shouldn't compare it to Johto (Kanto was kept as a post-game surprise, rather than being advertised as a focal point of the generation). I will note that the references to southern Kalos are fairly minimal unless you think that Volcanion, an event Pokémon, is going to be prominent or even available in the main story (for that matter, we have yet to see Hoopa's native region). Unlike with the Strange Souvenir region, Game Freak didn't promise us we would see southern Kalos.

Why would Zygarde even be used as the mascot for essentially a new region? I can see it getting an event in a new generation, which could even take place in a restricted area of Kalos, but the actual mascots should be new Pokémon. It's also telling that they're promoting Zygarde now, when the next main series release is most likely a full year away. That is why I can see its story getting told outside of the main series.

GF could take it a step further. In fact I know that many people in fan communities, after seeing the number of Pokémon that we got in XY, thought that perhaps there could have been more to come later, and rather a lot of them seemed to respond positively to the idea.
In the (not too) long term, introducing new Pokémon every year would make them less exciting. There is a reason why Game Freak haven't done it in 20 years despite the more hardcore fans wanting it in theory. New forms and Mega Evolutions are not the same as new species no matter what spin is put on them.

Personally, I don't think that a "Gen. X.5" would even really be so devastatingly confusing; all I was saying was that if they kept the new Pokémon all confined to one generation, be it in one distributive burst or two, it would at least keep a clearer divide than introducing some halfway through Gen. VI and then some more at the start of Gen. VII would.
There is no difference between the merits of "Generation 6.5" and "Generation 7.5", aside from the latter possibly going as far as to introduce two new regions, making it less likely.

The term "generation" is already very loosely defined, hence why nobody seems to be able to come to a complete agreement about what it means.
Eh? It is very easy to distinguish the initial versions from the rest (new Pokémon, new region and new mechanics/graphics/engine), and as you can see, that distinction is official.

All we've seen of Go is that trailer. I think we should wait & see what its compatibility with the main series is before we make a judgement on it.

Even if it's just a supplementary application, like the PokeWalker or Dream Radar, it could turn out to be really fun. While the mini-games of those may have not been to everyone's liking, they supported their respective games well. Imagine if you could trade between Go and the main games? That would be pretty amazing. Or if you could transfer Pokemon from Go to your Pokemon Bank. There's a lot of potential there. That said, I still don't really feel piqued by it yet. It was a cool trailer and all, but I think I need more to be sold on it.

Hey, you all wanted a Mega Flygon and they said they struggled to make one they were satisfied with.

Which is really bullshit considering they were satisfied with sticking a flower on Venusaur's head...

- I absolutely dislike the whole concept of Pokemon Go.
- My personal opinion apart, I consider Pokemon Go to be a cool idea ON PAPER, but not practical at all.
- The worst thing about Pokemon Go, is that it will take some of the attention and even time from the main series, and that is awful for traditional handheld console fans like myself. I like Pokemon as it is, don´t turn it into something different.
- The fact that those game are going to be connected to the main series doesn´t sound positive to me. Again, it could create a kind of dependance, which annoys me.
-I´m concerned about the future of the main games, if this Go thing is just a start in their mobile mentalized games. If it is nothing more than a side game, and doesn´t become a major thing im ok with it.

I hope they keep the main series like they are, and forget about smart pones.

I mostly agree with all that. Gen 6 has already made the games ridiculously easy and oversimplified just due to that "people are busy with smartphones and social media and don't have time for video games" bullshit.
The fact they're seriously developing games to smartphones now means they're wasting their resources on this and the main series games will possibly suffer from a drop in quality as result of that (as if the quality didn't drop enough as it is) +who knows, with the whole smartphone craze and Pokémon officially going there, maybe we're not as far as we think from the day smartphone will not just "connect with the main series" but actually BE The main series.....
I just really don't like the direction things are going at, even though I can understand this is the era we live at and I totally get why they're doing what they're doing. I still can't say I like it though... but either way all we can do is watch as the events unfold and hope for the best possible future for this franchise...

Which is really bullshit considering they were satisfied with sticking a flower on Venusaur's head...

- I absolutely dislike the whole concept of Pokemon Go.
- My personal opinion apart, I consider Pokemon Go to be a cool idea ON PAPER, but not practical at all.

I hope they keep the main series like they are, and forget about smart pones.

I mostly agree with all that. Gen 6 has already made the games ridiculously easy and oversimplified just due to that "people are busy with smartphones and social media and don't have time for video games" bullshit.
The fact they're seriously developing games to smartphones now means they're wasting their resources on this and the main series games will possibly suffer from a drop in quality as result of that (as if the quality didn't drop enough as it is) +who knows, with the whole smartphone craze and Pokémon officially going there, maybe we're not as far as we think from the day smartphone will not just "connect with the main series" but actually BE The main series.....
I just really don't like the direction things are going at, even though I can understand this is the era we live at and I totally get why they're doing what they're doing. I still can't say I like it though... but either way all we can do is watch as the events unfold and hope for the best possible future for this franchise...
Agreed. I'd rather have a minor pikachu event or new 3ds themes than the scam that's pokemon go.

- I absolutely dislike the whole concept of Pokemon Go. I like my games to be games, and real locations, to be real locations. Turning the world that surrounds us into a game, is a bad idea. You are meant to look at nature, and talk about stuff when going out, not looking for Pokemon around the streets.

- My personal opinion apart, I consider Pokemon Go to be a cool idea ON PAPER, but not practical at all. Nintendo seem to target 30 year olds, but it is a POKEMON GAME. Most people lack sensibility and make fun of people older than 12 who like pokemon. I can´t see those guys from the video, searching for Pokemon in real life. They would fear being mocked for it. Most people will not play the games outside, and I´m surprised Nintendo don´t realize that.

- Why did they show the timeline? Are they announcing a new era in Pokemon? Hope not. It sounds very mobile mentalized to me...

- Shigeru Ohmori is NOT envolved in Pokemon Go. It´s a different Shigeru, who is a Nintendo director. And that´s good, cause I´m delighted with Ohmori´s direction of ORAS, and I´m glad he is not moving to Go like Masuda...

- I´m very glad that the game I was expecting the most, OR/AS, was created before that Pokemon Go thing was announced. I have some doubts about the quality of the main series from now on, if they start targeting mobile players for real, and the direction they might be taking from now on. I hope they keep the main series like they are, and forget about smart pones.

I'm not quite sure why ur putting ur personal hang ups r on this.....I think it's a very interesting idea and could do wonders for the franchise if it works the way they say. Just bc u might b embarrassed to b seen playing Pokemon in public doesn't mean there isn't a market for those who aren't. There r plenty of people who travel in general and u don't need to b playing this game to enjoy that.It's just somehting extra to make the traveling even more special. As for it taking away from other main series game.......*sigh* I have no doubt it will not even touch the main series numbers. This new app is just so people can enjoy Pokemon in all scenarios. Sometimes I can't take my 3ds with me, but I always have my phone on me. The fear of the main series games moving to the mobile platform is dumb too.....sorry, but it just is.....People who fear it going anywhere but a Nintendo made handheld console r over thinking what they don't kno anything. Nintendo would never let Pokemon go to any other platform bc it's just too big of a money maker. It's as simple as that. I think GF branching out is great! It shows that they r willing to try some new stuff and not always color inside the lines. Just bc they start making peripheral apps and games for mobile doesn't mean they're betraying their fans or anything. In fact it's the complete opposite. They're trying to reach a broader audience and that's awesome. If u don't like in app purchases....well then don't pay for them. At the end of the day it's just an app that u can chose to download or not. It doesn't hurt them to at least try.

Well, I´m giving my personal opinion because... this is the point of a forum. Duh. You are still free to not read my post if it bothers you.

I´m not going to answer your whole post, but please answer me to this: WHO TOLD YOU I´M EMBARASSED FROM PLAYING POKEMON OUTSIDE? Where did I say that? I was just saying that MOST people over 12 (or 15 if you prefer), would be made fun of, if they go outside running in the chase of a Pikachu. And you know it´s true. I am criticizing our society here, not Pokemon players like us.

So don´t read what I haven´t wrote please...

um. well im pretty sure at least over half of us here are 20 or older. ive never seen anyone being made or making fun of anyone over 12.

Go to the street and start running like crazy after that Pikachu you are chasing, and watch the reaction of people around you who are not Pokemon fans. You will certainly be mocked for it.
And if me or you are not embarrassed by that, believe me, most Pokemon fans over 15 are. Again, I´m criticizing closed minded people, not us Pokemon fans.

Last edited:
doubtfully. XY and ORAS are 1.7 GB and 2.5 GB respectively. Pokemon games are a bit too big to be on a smartphone right now, i think.

Pokédex for iOS (when fully unlocked and loaded) is 1.6GB and Camp Pokémon is about the same if I recall. And since now all iPods start out with a default memory size of 16GB (though you can go bigger, with 32 and 64), it's a very real possibility that the main series could and would come to mobile devices.
No, it doesn't. Pokedex for ios is not a main game like x and y. The same logic can be applied to kirby, zelda ect...

I never said it was a main series game, only that it took up as much space on an iPod as a real game does on a 3DS cartridge.

So yeah, it can happen.

Actually, on the whole "people will laugh at you" thing - how would they even know? Unless you outright tell them or if you're hanging out with friends who look what you're doing on your phone...
I mean, I hope you all realize how extremely misleading the trailer is and that the actual game is not anything like that at all. The actual game happens exclusively in your phone's screen and the only input method of the game is tapping the screen... you won't actually see the Pokémon around you, I doubt they'd require much if any running around (instead it'd merely get your general location and maybe have to view your nearby surroundings on camera), and you certainly won't have menu options magically appearing in front of you in the real world or actually have to "throw a pokéball" in real life...... it was all made to be an exciting trailer, just like the trailer for the Google Maps thing back then, but the actual game won't be like that AT ALL... I thought that much was clear...

I haven't read all the posts regarding the reveal of Pokémon Go, I will do in a second. Anyone who is digging it apart completely and saying the main games are going to suffer, has clearly been looking and thinking too much about it as a whole. Main games are, and always have been separate from development, I can understand if you found XY/ORAS easier, but the other qualities somewhat make up for most of it, and let's not forget, the engine change would have affected the way the game is played from how it was developed in the past on the lackluster (in todays technological advancements lol) original ds engine. ORAS was a brilliant step up in graphics from XY, and DID elaborate on a story once told, but made it more interesting, not even for nostalgic purposes.

This is not going to be "the end", and it is also not going to be the beginning of the main series games receiving less attention and treatment. Mobile games are separate, just as they brought Shuffle to smartphones from once having it on 3DS only, they are simply broadening their horizons and good on them. They won't leave us in the dark, hopelessly waiting for a main series game, that everyone things is going to "suck badly", just be appreciative. The trailer for GO may have been slightly exaggerated on the augmented reality front, but it gave me a sense of 'wow, if their doing this, what else can they do that is a good move for them, and a good game for us.'

doubtfully. XY and ORAS are 1.7 GB and 2.5 GB respectively. Pokemon games are a bit too big to be on a smartphone right now, i think.

Pokédex for iOS (when fully unlocked and loaded) is 1.6GB and Camp Pokémon is about the same if I recall. And since now all iPods start out with a default memory size of 16GB (though you can go bigger, with 32 and 64), it's a very real possibility that the main series could and would come to mobile devices.
No, it doesn't. Pokedex for ios is not a main game like x and y. The same logic can be applied to kirby, zelda ect...

I never said it was a main series game, only that it took up as much space on an iPod as a real game does on a 3DS cartridge.

So yeah, it can happen.

Until Nintendo bring out their own smartphone, I'll rest easy because there's no way they'll publish the main series on a third party system. The NX could be a smartphone, so it's possible, but no way will they sell out main series games to Apple or Google or whatever.

Until Nintendo bring out their own smartphone, I'll rest easy because there's no way they'll publish the main series on a third party system. The NX could be a smartphone, so it's possible, but no way will they sell out main series games to Apple or Google or whatever.

Well, until some time ago, no one would believe they'll put ANY official Pokémon games on smartphones, and look...
They clearly realize relying on their own consoles alone can't cut it anymore, and the more people get crazier over their smartphones, the less people will buy these consoles... it might not happen in the very near future, but at some point, maybe they'll decide it's better for them to go over to smartphones.
I don't want that to happen at all, but I fear this is something that might happen eventually... they're already developing the current main games with the whole "people are too busy for games cause of smartphones and social media" mentality, and it had bad effect on the gen 6 games so far, and as I see it things can only go downhill from here if they stick this mentality...
People criticize smartphone games to be "just tap the screen" but honestly gen 6 main series games are basically "just tap A button" - especially blatant when comparing a lot of RSE elements to their ORAS counterpart (see: Contests in general and especially the Pokéblock-making part)

Has anyone thought that if Pokemon Go is compatible with Pokemon Bank, then there'll only be one Generation 6 game left?

OH MY GOD THAT WOULD BE SO HILARIOUS

Poindexter voice: "Well, there's going to be two games because the code says there's two location slots left and Zyagrde has two moves, and I have two hands, so there's going to be two games."

Pokémon: "We introduce Pokémon Go!"

Poindexter voice: "Well, then..."

Well, I´m giving my personal opinion because... this is the point of a forum. Duh. You are still free to not read my post if it bothers you.

I´m not going to answer your whole post, but please answer me to this: WHO TOLD YOU I´M EMBARASSED FROM PLAYING POKEMON OUTSIDE? Where did I say that? I was just saying that MOST people over 12 (or 15 if you prefer), would be made fun of, if they go outside running in the chase of a Pikachu. And you know it´s true. I am criticizing our society here, not Pokemon players like us.

So don´t read what I haven´t wrote please...

Go to the street and start running like crazy after that Pikachu you are chasing, and watch the reaction of people around you who are not Pokemon fans. You will certainly be mocked for it.
And if me or you are not embarrassed by that, believe me, most Pokemon fans over 15 are. Again, I´m criticizing closed minded people, not us Pokemon fans.

This entire game is restricted to your phone's screen and a vibrating Pokéball shaped clip you can hide in your pocket.

You certainly aren't going to be trolling around the real world looking for Pokémon and if you are, so what? Adults typically don't care about what other people think of them. You tend to grow out of that in college at the latest. And even if people did care, again, this game will be even more discreet than porn mailed to your house, I don't think anyone will notice and make fun of someone for that.

I mean, I often see some rather old men playing Candy Crush on their smartphones on the bus... playing kiddy games on your smartphone isn't really something to be judged for anymore (not that anyone should ever judge you for it, but society is stupid)
Perhaps some dumb people will react negatively just to the sound of the word "Pokémon" but eh, I'd just laugh at them back for enjoying crap like Candy Crush that is absolutely dumber and kiddier than Pokémon ever was...
But yeah, who cares about that...

As for the suggestion that Go will take one of the two possible game spot - that's actually interesting. I was sure we'll get a "third version" that will still be split into two versions even if it's just an improved XY, but now I wonder if Go took that spot and we'll just get the usual single game "third version"...

Masuda tweeted this... it says something about CoroCoro.. can anyone translate?

お知らせ!9月15日(火)にTVアニメ「ポケットモンスター」の新展開情報が公開されます!月刊コロコロコミック、テレビ東京あにてれHPなどをチェックしてみてくださいね!
Source for Tweet

My main issue about Pokemon Go never was that it would be embarrasing to play outside. I already wrote it's just not my type of game anyway. So Im not very interested in it.

My main issue is that Nintendo and GF are starting to seriously target the mobile users. And this would surely decrease the auttention they put in the main games. It might be just an other side project. But when did previous side projects get official press conferences and the kind of auttention this got?

Now, Go wouldn't bother me at all if GF had nothing to do with it, but this actually involves Masuda, the main guy at GF atm. My issue is if more and more GF people start to join the project. It would mean that less guys are working on the main series. It's not rocket science and some people don't seem to get it.

Last edited:
Masuda tweeted this... it says something about CoroCoro.. can anyone translate?

お知らせ!9月15日(火)にTVアニメ「ポケットモンスター」の新展開情報が公開されます!月刊コロコロコミック、テレビ東京あにてれHPなどをチェックしてみてくださいね!
Source for Tweet

Just for the hell of it, I ran it through Google Translate:

"Notice! September 15 ( Tuesday) to is the new deployment information disclosure of the TV anime " Pokemon " ! CoroCoro Comic , but please try to check clock and TV Tokyo Anitere HP!"

Surprisingly coherent. :|

My main issue is that Nintendo and GF are starting to seriously target the mobile users. And this would surely decrease the auttention they put in the main games. It might be just an other side project. But when did previous side projects get official press conferences and the kind of auttention this got?
Ishihara is pushing Pokken to be a "third pillar" in terms of Pokemon World Championship events--he said so himself last year, and its no surprise that he revealed its international release during World's this year. Both PMD and Ranger have had either animated shorts or actual episodes in the anime. This is getting no more attention than any other high-end spin-offs, the issue is that there hasn't been any high-end spin offs in awhile so this game looks like its getting special treatment.

Nintendo has no role in making Pokemon games other than publishing it on their system. Why do people think that because they've allowed Pokemon to be licensed to outside developers (which is actually The Pokemon Company's job) that it reduces attention paid to the main series? Is anyone screaming that Splatoon took attention away from Zelda Wii U, which was actually pushed back to an indeterminate date? Why do people treat an external company developing a Pokemon game like this? Its The Pokemon Company's job to handle licensing issues--in fact, if they weren't pursuing projects like this, they'd just be a drain on the franchise since they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Now, Go wouldn't bother me at all if GF had nothing to do with it, but this actually involves Masuda, the main guy at GF atm. My issue is if more and more GF people start to join the project. It would mean that less guys are working on the main series.

Masuda isn't the entirety of Game Freak, nor does he program the entire game (if any) himself. And there's an obvious reason (as in, it was literally shown in the trailer) why Game Freak would be involved--they're integrating GO into the main series games. So....because a top-level executive is going to work on an outside game to ensure that this game is compatible with their main series games.....they are taking away resources from main series games.

You realize Game Freak works on projects other than Pokemon, right? Why not complain how those take attention away from the franchise, since they actually co-opt Game Freak's programmers for non-Pokemon related games. For all we know, all Masuda's job was consulting the developers to ensure that the communication between GO and the 3DS games are to the liking of Game Freak.

So many games could have used the consulting of Game Freak's top executives--if nothing else to make sure that their lore were in line with that of the main series' vision. Are we going to crucify every game that decides it wants to integrate with the main series?

My main issue about Pokemon Go never was that it would be embarrasing to play outside. I already wrote it's just not my type of game anyway. So Im not very interested in it.

Now, Go wouldn't bother me at all if GF had nothing to do with it, but this actually involves Masuda, the main guy at GF atm. My issue is if more and more GF people start to join the project. It would mean that less guys are working on the main series. It's not rocket science and some people don't seem to get it.

I mostly agree with your point there. They'll focus more and more on smartphones and waste their resources on them. It's inevitable that as time goes on, focus will shift more and more from the consoles to smartphones, the main games' quality will drop (and it already dropped and it was partly due to said smartphone mentality), until eventually the main games might just be on smartphones.
It may not be in the very near future, but I can see it happening at some point... I just don't feel good about this franchise's future in general. The anime dropped in quality after DP ended and the games entered a rather dark era after BW2's release too. I hope they'll prove me wrong but right now I doubt that...

As to Masuda's tweet, he basically told us what we already know, that CoroCoro will have Pokémon anime news, obviously referring to Act IV and Movie 19

I mostly agree with your point there. They'll focus more and more on smartphones and waste their resources on them.
I find it funny that Meta Boss says its not rocket science that "less people = less focus"....as if the solution isn't infinitely more simple. Pokemon's been structured from its inception such that Game Freak will have exclusive focus on the main series games, and The Pokemon Company licenses other companies to handle spin-offs. At the time, TPC and Nintendo had even formed an entirely new company just to make console games. Fans in the past have criticized that Game Freak should be more involved in terms of the development of side series games so that the universe can be expanded outside of hand-helds....and now that they do it, there's backlash simply because its not the games they wanted.

Let's not even take into consideration that its Masuda, not an entire team of employees that was involved. Unless he was writing music for the games, his role was probably more of a consultant to ensure that this game's compatibility with the main series games go smoothly.....yet despite the fact that this app is meant to integrate to current (and possibly future) generations of games its being accused of being in direct competition with them. Makes sense. Rocket Science. Buzz words.

Yes, resources are being taken away from Pokemon because Masuda decides to involve himself in a Pokemon game. Thank god Game Freak doesn't make any other games. and I'm pretty sure a few fans complaining about this are the same ones that wants Game Freak to develop more Pulseman and Drill Dozer

Masuda tweeting about anime developments is oddly more hype inducing then the wait. I really want to see the mega proper, but god damn does the thought of some cohesive, well thought anime arc not involving the gym quest excite me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom