• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VII confirmed!

These trademarks were only 'confirmed' from an IP lawyer, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Recent history has shown us this, but they have potential.

Here's all the trademarks:
  • Solgaleo
  • Lunaala
  • Marshadow
  • Mukuroh
  • Ashimaru
  • Nyabby

View: https://m.imgur.com/a/CoVLI

At least the ones that they think might be Pokémon.

The latter three seem to be our starters.

Mokurou, Ashimari and Nyabii have been suggested to be the Grass, Water, and Fire starters respectively.

Mokurou is likely Moku (Tree) + Fukurou (Owl)

Nyabii is likely Nya (Meow) + Hi/Bi (Fire)

Ashimari is likely Ashika (Sea Lion) + Marine

I'm curious what Marshadow is... Perhaps a minion of some sorts to the mascots? Another Legendary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Though really. Should we even expect a third legendary? I don't think we should as they want to switch things up and surprise us, so in that case there's none or it's Zygarde.

That's difficult to say.

Saying there won't be a new "third" legendary Pokemon is a bit of a pre-emptive jump. We literally know nothing about Sun or Moon yet, except some trademark names that may not necessarily even turn out to be Pokemon. So saying there won't be one for the sake of "surprise" feels like a shot in the dark. Why not have a Pokemon for the sake of surprise? It'd make more sense to include it and do something differently with it. Like make it relevant/important within the primary games, instead of in a later title.
I wouldn't expect a third legendary, but don't go counting the idea out.

As for Zygarde...eh. That's a big mystery. Though I do feel the theory about it joining the Sun/Moon legendaries is as stretched and farfetch'd as the Gen VI.5 theories were. Though I won't say it can't happen, as it just might.

Last edited:
That's difficult to say.

Saying there won't be a new "third" legendary Pokemon is a bit of a pre-emptive jump. We literally know nothing about Sun or Moon yet, except some trademark names that may not necessarily even turn out to be Pokemon. So saying there won't be one for the sake of "surprise" feels like a shot in the dark. Why not have a Pokemon for the sake of surprise? It'd make more sense to include it and do something differently with it. Like make it relevant/important within the primary games, instead of in a later title.

As for Zygarde...eh. That's a big mystery. Though I do feel the theory about it joining the Sun/Moon legendaries is as stretched and farfetch'd as the Gen VI.5 theories were. Though I won't say it can't happen, as it just might.

True. Though honestly I'm kinda mixed on the whole thing. I wouldn't mind a third Legendary, but I can't really see what it'd be about. It can't be a star as the sun pretty much is one. I guess it could be a meteor *or* based off of the earth (in this case... possibly Zygarde?).

At the same time, I don't really want one just so we can have another generation without one *and* so people won't repeat the whole Zygarde thing again. I don't mind them promoting Zygarde in the anime though, the whole idea of that is pretty cool actually. Now that I think about it... I guess a meteor could work as they can be broken into smaller pieces or get smaller upon entering Earth iirc?

XY shows that even a pair of games without a third version can still have a third legendary, even if it is a bit pointless. GS showed that even if a pair of games lacks a proper third legendary, the third version can still make do with something else. In Crystal's case it was one of the trios.

They may still include a third legendary with this even though it is quite clear they're done with third versions. Although who knows, maybe at one point Game Freak were seriously considering a third version and made Zygarde for that reason but changed their minds after. But that still wouldn't explain why Zygarde still got the new forms so late into Gen 6 if that were the case.

True. Though honestly I'm kinda mixed on the whole thing. I wouldn't mind a third Legendary, but I can't really see what it'd be about. It can't be a star as the sun pretty much is one. I guess it could be a meteor *or* based off of the earth

I get what you mean. Sun & Moon give a strong sense of duality in that respect. The third Pokemon could potentially be an eclipse Pokemon, something that encompasses both of the qualities of the original pair. I thought the "star" Pokemon would make sense as well. Sun, Moon. Stars.

Plus there's the whole theory about Pokemon GO having the Earth in its logo, so it's kindof the earth to Sun & Moon.

At the same time, I don't really want one just so we can have another generation without one *and* so people won't repeat the whole Zygarde thing again. I don't mind them promoting Zygarde in the anime though, the whole idea of that is pretty cool actually. Now that I think about it... I guess a meteor could work as they can be broken into smaller pieces or get smaller upon entering Earth iirc?

Yeah, I kindof doubt they'll be repeating that scenario. And a meteor would be interesting given the Delta Episode was pretty recent.

I remember back during the X/Y leaking period, I was thinking that Xerneas/Yveltal might not have had a third Legendary to go with them. I was wrong back then (although happy to be, because Zygarde looks really cool), but I still think it would be refreshing to go back to a pure duo like Lugia and Ho-Oh.

However, as you say, it is way too premature to make any guesses about that.

I will admit that the thing about its chest cores matching the colors of X, Y, Sun, and Moon does have me slightly compelled, but I am not committed to it.

Always hedge your bets, kids!

It can't be a star as the sun pretty much is one.

Ain't no "pretty much" about it; it *is* one! :p

I guess it could be a meteor *or* based off of the earth (in this case... possibly Zygarde?).

Meteors could work; gonna' spitball for a minute:

- Parallel Earth? (Could tie into the Delta Episode's lore)

- Nemesis? (The outdated theory that the sun has a twin star that is responsible for chucking comets and asteroids at us)

- Eclipses? (Involves the relationship between the sun, moon, and Earth; could fill the "mediator" role - this idea is my favorite of the three)

Last edited:
I get what you mean. Sun & Moon give a strong sense of duality in that respect. The third Pokemon could potentially be an eclipse Pokemon, something that encompasses both of the qualities of the original pair. I thought the "star" Pokemon would make sense as well. Sun, Moon. Stars.

Plus there's the whole theory about Pokemon GO having the Earth in its logo, so it's kindof the earth to Sun & Moon.

Yeah, I kindof doubt they'll be repeating that scenario. And a meteor would be interesting given the Delta Episode was pretty recent.

I remember thinking a possible eclipse Lgendary could involve fusion between it and the SM mascots, but I'm not too sure on that.

I've heard that theory... I found that pretty interesting.

I don't think they'll repeat it, yeah. As for the Delta Episode... That got me thinking. What if the meteor Legendary did something with Deoxys?

Ain't no "pretty much" about it; it *is* one! :p

Meteors could work; gonna' spitball for a minute:

- Parallel Earth? (Could tie into the Delta Episode's lore)

- Nemesis? (The outdated theory that the sun has a twin star that is responsible for chucking comets and asteroids at us)

- Eclipses? (Involves the relationship between the sun, moon, and Earth; could fill the "mediator" role - this idea is my favorite of the three)

I need to stop using "pretty much" so much haha.

Those ideas sound nice. Perhaps they could tie all of them together somehow?

"Gigareki" what if it's the new Mega mechanic. We had "Mega" evolution, what if it's "Giga" this gen?
Does giga mean the same thing in japanese that it does in latin based languages?

So if these are correct then the Starters are a Grass Owl, a Fire Cat, and a Water Seal? Also I concur with Tensho that Gigareki might be a new mechanic since that is being tossed around.

"Gigareki" what if it's the new Mega mechanic. We had "Mega" evolution, what if it's "Giga" this gen?

I can see that. Also is it just me or does the word "giga" keep reminding anyone of the Gigaremo from Shadows of Almia?

Then wouldn't it be Giga Shinka?

That'd be the case if it was Giga Evolution, but it doesn't really have to have "evolution" in it, such as Primal Reversion.

Then wouldn't it be Giga Shinka?

I like those starter concepts. Especially grass owl.
The biggest theory is that Gigareki" is the third counterpart to Solgaleo and Lunala or it's a new nick name for a new mechanic but personally I lean towards the former.
Also yeah I agree about the starters moreover it seems to line up with Corocoro's scoop next month too.

Wait, so there were more trademarks? Seems fishy to me considering that none of them are registered by Nintendo, Game Freak or Creatures Inc. Plus Corocoro may not live up to what they say for next month but we'll see. It be good to have some solid news from corocoro.

The biggest theory is that Gigareki" is the third counterpart to Solgaleo and Lunala or it's a new nick name for a new mechanic but personally I lean towards the former.
That would be plausible but after Marshadow (which I think is a likely 3rd legendary, the shadow counter to the light of the Sun and Moon) was discovered, I'm going with Marshadow as 3rd legendary.

Wait, so there were more trademarks? Seems fishy to me considering that none of them are registered by Nintendo, Game Freak or Creatures Inc. Plus Corocoro may not live up to what they say for next month but we'll see. It be good to have some solid news from corocoro.
I see no reason to disbelieve coro coro so vehemently given what they announced for next month. We'll be seeing the box legends in about 20 days or so.

Also, this marks the third generation in a row that the grass owl has come up xD that poor little hypothetical mon.

Back
Top Bottom