• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Growing up, what did your parents ban you from?

Rated Restricted were a big no-no
Anything with language was also a no-go,
Staying up past nine and candy before bed,
Biting and fighting and hitting my brothers' head—
These are a few banned things.
Breaking the dress ups and ripping fairy wings,
Hair pulling, spitting, and arm fart sounds,
Yelling and screaming and indoor bounds.
It wasn't all bad you see,
I was a bit rambunctious, me.
With two brothers to commit childish deeds,
We often ended up having to pull weeds.
Taking the Lord's name in vain
And clogging the drain,
Biting the dog and over feeding the fish,
Pestering the goats and breaking a dish—
These were all banned
Along with throwing sand!

But alas, a happy childhood it was and is,
Oh! And no noisily sucking soda fizz!
Now with my big brother all grow up,
And a stubborn untrainable two year old pup,
New rules are in order...
Who knows? Perhaps I'll just become a martyr.

Physical profanities were banned, obviously,
Along with greed, selfishness, and gluttony.
Stupid was not to be said, but we did
My mom many times nearly popped her lid.

But all these things built me up strong.
A swimmer, a writer, and a drawer for very long,
I wrote this to be sung much like a song,
I just hope you understand, and did not get me wrong :)

I can't recall actually being banned from anything. I was taught that certain things were inappropriate, such as cursing, and that there are somethings that children really shouldn't do, such as smoking and drinking.

As such, I am not a smoker (Which is amazing as everyone in my house smokes cigarettes), nor do I drink that much. (Maybe once or twice a year) And I do not curse around my parents as I find it extremely impolite.

Unless I was naughty, nothing really. I guess cursing goes without saying.

The Simpsons and shows of the like.

I could also say M-rated games... But the truth is that I didn't even need to be banned from them. I still don't have any interest in those types of games.

Almost the exact same for me! It's kind of funny when I think about it: my parents introduced and encouraged me to watch R rated movies when I was about 12, but I was strictly forbidden from watching The Simpsons from a young age and it stuck with me (I still haven't seen an episode).

The only other thing I was banned from was playing Gameboy in the house: I was only allowed it on long drives. I have to admit that I often tried to sneak extra Gameboy time at home, and the rule kind of disappeared by the time I was 16.

As for other things like swearing, fighting, violent video games, certain food, drugs and alcohol, bedtime, etc., I never really did any of them (or stretched them enough to worry my parents, like bedtime), to the point that my parents didn't need to ban me from anything else.

I wasn't allowed to use the internet until I was 10 years old, and wasn't allowed to join things without my parents permission until I was 12. My bedtime was 10:30pm until I was 13, in which case I was allowed to sleep at anytime. I wasn't allowed to play 18 games, but I play them anyway. I wasn't allowed to go to town by myself until I was 14, and wasn't allowed to visit friends (they all live in the next town over) until earlier this year.

Let's see:
- Playing anything with a "restricted" rating (Australia's equivalent of M-rated games; I can purchase them now, though)
- Swearing (until the age of 18, and even then, I can't use the harsher swear words such as the F word)
- Using ghetto slang
- Listening to rap (until the age of 15)
- Listening to heavy metal (my brother was grounded for listening to the Sex Pistols when he was 16.)
- Watching movies that depict Muslims as terrorists (this was more to protect me from anti-Muslim stereotyping)
- Going out late
- Drinking energy drinks such as Red Bull
- Watching South Park and Family Guy (I was allowed to watch Family Guy when I was 16, but then I hated it, so I stopped - and last year I was finally allowed to watch South Park)
- Watching certain anime (I'm still not allowed to watch Hetalia, Death Note, and Panty and Stocking)

They didn't need to ban me from anything, growing up I was a very quiet kid. To add to that my mother had a very carefree attitude so I could get away with most things. However she made sure to drill in learning how to be responsible from a young age. And had me do things like clean my room every Saturday, throw out things I didn't need, and etc.

A few of it which is going out (I'm okay with that since I don't really like to go a place without reasons), playing games too much(seriously? You can't change who I am Mom!) , buying a game from console and the console itself.
Other than that, it wasn't that strict after all.

-No R rated movies.
-No swearing.
-No using the word "fart". (Apparently, in the south it's considered a swear word. Now that I'm an adult, I use it all the time: Fart, fart, fart!)
-No using the other F-word. (Say the F-word in front of my mother and she will wash your mouth out with soap. I do not kid.)
-No horror movies or anything with a lot of violence.
-No rap music. (I didn't really like it anyway.)
-No "taking the Lord's name in vain". (I was not allowed to say "Oh my God", "Dear God" or "Dear Lord".)
-No backtalking... whatever that meant.

Yeah, my mother was pretty overprotective. I wasn't allowed to go out with any of my friends who could drive until I was nearly 17 and it took Dad telling her to back off for me to go. She almost threw a fit when she found out I had a boyfriend at that age, too. Now that I've been doing a bit of research--and she dropped the "I gave up a kid at 17" bomb on me a few years ago--I get why she was so restrictive. She wasn't the only one who did that; I've read that there were other women who gave up kids who over-parented their later children just as badly as my own mother did me.

But yeah, I was pretty danged sheltered.

Swearing (this included words like "stupid"), watching my dad play FPS's, back-talking, and butter knives. Well, knives in general. For some reason though, my mom seriously thought I would be able to cut myself with a butter knife.

I was a sheltered kid. Still am. I hardly understand any of the jokes that make my friends giggle at wildly, and I still rarely curse... I only do if the situation really calls for it. Curse too much, and the weight of the words disappear.

I wasn't just allowed to watch South Park - we'd both watch it together. (My mum and me. My parents divorced.)

When i was young i wasn't allowed to stay up past 7 or 8pm i think. Except on Thursdays when i'd get to stay up one hour extra to watch The Crystal Maze. (Kinda tells you more about my age than i'd like it to.)

When I was growing up we seldom eat at Mc Donald's my Mum would always say that it's too expensive. When I went to college I found out that it's not expensive at all, maybe my Mum just don't want us to eat too much fast food.

-No swearing
-No rated M games
-No rated R movies
-Had to be in bed by 9pm (even on weekends) until I was 14
-Had to ask to play games at all
-Not allowed to eat in my room

Just standard stuff really.

All the things I ended up doing anyways. It's not their fault I ended up a malcontent.

- Violent video games (well at least until I was 16 and could just buy them myself by driving to the store. Helped that my best friend in high school worked at Gamestop)
- Drinking
- Swearing in the house (they gave up on that one pretty quickly)
- Rap music (they also gave up on that one pretty quickly, helped that I grew out of that phase)

I wasn't allowed to go outside, unless it was to school or out with my parents. My parents wanted me to stay inside with my brother who has a skin condition. Which is pretty much how I got into video games. As long I got good grades, I was pretty much allowed to do anything but that.

Nothing. I was given free reign.

Queen! 3489127812.png

Swearing, watching things with a higher rating than my age, and drinking cola (since apparently it would make me hyper).

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom