• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How did old Poké Balls work?

Axxonn

Owning all your base
Reaction score
I know modern Poké Balls are super high-tech and all, but how do you think did they make Poké Balls before such technology? According to the Bulbapedia page, "The invention of Poké Balls apparently occurred in the Johto region, where Apricorns grow; these fruit were...fitted with a special device, and used to catch wild Pokémon prior to the mass production of the Balls that occurs in modern times under Silph Co."

So...what do you think?

If you go with the idea that pokemon are energy beings, pokeballs probably naturally absorbed that energy

I think that the "old apricorn" pokeballs where, in a way, rather old and outdated, and compared to a moddern day pokeball, whre like comparing the orgional Game Boy to the New 3DS. Same tecnology, just advanced and with better "features" as such.

Also, if you compare the "look" of the "Apricorn Poke balls" they do not look that different compared to the modern pokeballs. For example:

Bag_Pok%C3%A9_Ball_Sprite.png

Bag_Level_Ball_Sprite.png

That's a pokeball comapred to a level ball. Not much difference really. Not sure if they where origionally diffrent in design or not, or if Silph Co "copyrighted" the pokeball design or whatnot :p

Last edited:
Actually I'm writing a fanfic about the Pokeworld in the past and apricorn balls are one aspect of it.

My theory is that the mechanism is simmilar to the Pokeball,but the Apriball's efficiency depends on the type of wood used for casing for example dive balls are made of wood that smells like salt and seaweed in order to soothe underwater Pokemon.

If you're interested,check my fanfic.

Actually I'm writing a fanfic about the Pokeworld in the past and apricorn balls are one aspect of it.

My theory is that the mechanism is simmilar to the Pokeball,but the Apriball's efficiency depends on the type of wood used for casing for example dive balls are made of wood that smells like salt and seaweed in order to soothe underwater Pokemon.

If you're interested,check my fanfic.
Ummm...Dive balls aren't Apricorn balls but are Pokeballs with different effects implied to be developed by Devon Co. (due to their being sold primarily in Hoenn, and being shown to develop balls like Timer and Repeat balls and their mentioning that they have been releasing new types of Pokeballs)

We already know that an Apricorn Ball's effectiveness depends on the type of Apricorn and Pokemon it is used on.

I've come to the conclusion that Pokemon are just incomprehensible energy beings and what humans see is just what the Pokemon chose to appear as to interact with matter. It's really the only thing that makes the world make sense.

Ummm...Dive balls aren't Apricorn balls but are Pokeballs with different effects implied to be developed by Devon Co. (due to their being sold primarily in Hoenn, and being shown to develop balls like Timer and Repeat balls and their mentioning that they have been releasing new types of Pokeballs)

We already know that an Apricorn Ball's effectiveness depends on the type of Apricorn and Pokemon it is used on.

What I'm trying to say is that Devon Co. developed a Pokeball-version of Dive ball which is based on a modern Pokeball,uses modern technologies and is more effective than the old Dive ball which was made of Apricorns.

I've come to the conclusion that Pokemon are just incomprehensible energy beings and what humans see is just what the Pokemon chose to appear as to interact with matter. It's really the only thing that makes the world make sense.

YOur theory,is plausible,and it dictates tha apokemon would be able to evolve whenever it wants as they are light beings

In the 4th movie they showed an old pokeball and how it works. It's just basically trapping the energy made from pokemon like the new ones.

I don't think they are Energy as some have put it, In the anime they say Pokemon is a part of Mother Nature, The simple fact is it's fiction. In the earlier episodes when a trianer has 6 Pokemon and then catches another one the Pokeball is beemed to the sky and sent to the PC box.

First thing, how do even make a pokeball out of an acorn. That's a whole other in itself.

Next, I remember reading somewhere or seeing it in the anime possibly, that the pokeballs convert the pokemon into energy. So they are living beings, but their molecular structure is broken down and rebuilt when entering and exiting a pokeball.

As for the old school pokeball, I think the balls that Kurt makes are the same that they have been using prior to the invention of the standardized pokeball.

This isn't helped by the fact that Apricorns were shown in the Generation II artwork as being something like large nuts that clearly have a shell that can be hollowed out and used to create a ball, while as in the more recent artwork they appear to be soft fruits filled with juice.

My theory is this.

APRICORN FRUIT:

Apricorns as seen in the Gen IV artwork, the are soft bodied fruit that can be turned into juice.

APRICORN NUTS:

mature apricorn fruit. These are round and hard and split at their equators like large walnuts and can be hollowed out to make...

ORIGINAL APRICORN POKÉBALL:

They exist in the Pokémon world crystals which have the ability to transform Pokémon into energy for a brief moment. Though they would almost instantly be ejected from inside the crystal since there was nothing holding them inside.

Apricorns were hollowed out and their inner shells polished to a mirror-like surface and given simple hinges, and the crystal attached to the inside of the ball with a latch to keep the ball shut. This kept the Pokémon from instantly being ejected from the crystal, as the polished inside of the hollow apricorn reflected the beam of energy back into the crystal.

This was a useful way to carry Pokémon, and the successful capture of a wild Pokémon inside a ball had the added effect of taming them somewhat, though a wild Pokémon can't truly be captured against its will in a ball if it doesn't want to live with humans.

EARLY ARTIFICIAL POKÉBALL:

These crystals were somewhat scarce and as the use of Pokéballs spread going into the Industrial Revolution where more average people could afford to keep and train many Pokémon (before Pokémon Centers provided free medical care) they became highly prized.

Synthetic crystals were developed by engineers, and synthetic shells made to hold them. The first generation ones more closely resembled actual apricorns and had a hinged lid on the top of the ball (whose inner surface was lined with concave mirrors) which locked shut by means of a screw top. This is the sort of ball seen in the fourth Pokémon movie and were last commonly about forty years ago.

MODERN POKÉBALLS:

The modern Pokéball has a hinge and opens at its equator like the original Apricorn balls did, but featured high tech features like a compact storage mode the size of table tennis ball. These use synthetic crystals of varying strength, with better, mor expensive synthetic crystals being used in Great, Ultra, and Master Balls.

MODERN APRICORN BALLS:

Different breeds and varieties of Apricorn in the old days made balls better suited for catching different kind of Pokémon in different situations, or could even effect their personality to a certain extent.

Kurt uses the juice from Apricorn fruits when forging the shells for his modern Pokéballs. In this way he can make otherwise normal Balls which share the unique properties of the ancient Apricorn balls, but are much more durable.

True modern Apricorn Balls can be made with actual Apricorns using synthetic crystals, but these are not particularly practical and these are made on a limited, novelty basis.

So thats my idea bout Apricorns.

This isn't helped by the fact that Apricorns were shown in the Generation II artwork as being something like large nuts that clearly have a shell that can be hollowed out and used to create a ball, while as in the more recent artwork they appear to be soft fruits filled with juice.
The Apricorns don't look at all any softer now than they did before, and an example of a fairly solid fruit you can hollow and make juice from? A watermelon.

I doubt all they needed to do was to hollow them out so other treatments were likely available to make them more durable, hence taking a whole day to make an apricorn ball.

I dug out my old Gold & Silver manual and took this photo just for this image.

apricornnut.jpg

There exists other official artwork from the time Gen II came out of Apricorns of many colors, appearing much more like giant, colorful walnuts than a juice filled fruit as they have more recently.

Inside every poké ball is an invisible picture of Chuck Norris,
that only the pokémons can see.
The image isn't that clear inside the weaker poké balls,
but it's totally clear inside a masterball.

Pokémons fear this and go in their poké balls
and this is also how trainers are also able to tame the wild pokémons.

Simply; they're afraid of Chuck Norris.

Case closed.

Old pokeballs, technically, work in the same way as modern ones. There's a device inside that converts the Pokemon to energy form.

However, modern Pokeballs...

*Have the easier capsule system, with just a button on the front (older ones had two halves to twist together).

*Are more lightweight and stronger (older ones were made out of heavy metals and, in ancient cases, rock. Kinda like steel vs. carbon fibre).

*And look cooler.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom