• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to make a fool out of Giratina

Snake Bandage

The Pumpkin King
Reaction score
When I caught my very own Giratina yesterday (yaaaaaaaaay), I realized that I found the perfect strategy to capture the thing with minimal damage. All you really need is a Fuwaride/any other Ghost Pokemon with Levitate and a Normal Pokemon. It's the perfect counter to anything the ugly pagoda caterpillar dragon has to throw at you.

* Slash is Normal, which Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to.
* Earth Power won't have any effect on a Flying or Levitating Pokemon.
* Shadow Force can be countered easily by switching out for a Normal Pokemon the moment Giratina vanishes. (I had a level 19 Eevee with me for that. Worked perfectly.)
* Heal Block WILL affect your Pokemon. But it's harmless anyway, especially considering how this strategy prevents any damage to your Pokemon.

Absolutely foolproof.

It's just... so awesome that you can completely avoid a Legendary's attacks like that. Really. =D

(That doesn't solve the puzzle to get to Giratina or the fact that its catchrate can be frustratingly low. But hey.)

LOL then I'm not the first person who used that strategy! But the only difference is that I killed it, because I didn't feel like catching it. Giratina scares me just by looking at it. =O

I had extra Master balls, so yeah. :p Also, I managed to get to Giratina the very first time. I kept going in one direction, I think.

How the heck do you get extra master balls?! I'd really like to know, because if you can buy them for 100000 poke each, I wouldn't pass up an offer like that! :)

Transefering from previous gen games, or wining it at the lottery. Best I got to was an EXP. Share.

How the heck do you get extra master balls?! I'd really like to know, because if you can buy them for 100000 poke each, I wouldn't pass up an offer like that! :)

I usually save my masterballs for the possible shiny I might ran into ( although the 2 shinies I have were caught in hyperballs ^^; ), so I still got the Colloseum,Emerald Leaf Green (I rented it) and Fire Red masterballs ^^

But thanks for the advice. I surely WILL try this.

I spent most of my time against it with a Metagross with Magnet Rise. Works really well with the resistances, and Shadow Force only does normal damage to it.

I saved my Master Ball for Giratina...he's the coolest ledgendary IMO...next to Heatran. Heatran is chillin' like a villain.

I'll try this in my English Diamond which I haven't got one though.

To catch Giratina, I just started off with a fighting type to lower it's hp, then switched to my Staraptor. She was immune to every attack except slash, but she was at a high level so it did minimal damage. After reseting like 7 times (I kept running low on dusk balls), I finally caught it with my 8th dusk ball. It was a little on the difficult side to catch, but it was expected. Now it's just sitting in my legendary box, waiting to be used :p

I prefer Shedinja with Shadow Claw and Endure (assuming it works, and I don't see why it wouldn't), myself. Similar to the plan for Rayquazain RS, in a way.

I didn't use that strategy until I got totally friggin pissed off cuz I couldn't ever catch it. Then my friend told me this thing and I had to exit the whole Turnback Cave and go through it all over again!!! So I got my level 20( or something) Drifloon and went back. I naturally always carry my Lopunny around, it all started when I found it in Eterna Forest back when it was just a Buneary. It was my best friend... :) Anyways I caught Giratina after another 50 tries... with an Ultra Ball... NOT a Dusk Ball, (I'm saving those for Mesprit WHICH I STILL CAN'T CATCH!!! IT HAS EXACTLY 1HP AND ITS ALSEEP!!! WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?!?!?!?!?!?)

I caught Mesprit first Ultra Ball I threw at it. =D I managed to get it to 1 HP using my Charizard's Fire Fang. I taught it Thundershock, Blizzard, and Psychic. It is stronger now than when I got it, same level though =D. I haven't gotten to Turnback Cave yet. I haven't even gotten through Victory Road yet, pokemon are only level 49 or 50 in my party, want them to be around lvl 55 or so.

I had absolutely no problem with catching Giratina. He was the easiest legendary to catch, in fact!

(Oh, Torrentkid: Has anyone ever told you the team on your Trainer Card could easily be defeated with one Milotic and any decent fire-type? Just thought it's weird you have so many repeated types on there. I'm in the process of fixing my team up!)

I had absolutely no problem with catching Giratina. He was the easiest legendary to catch, in fact!
I concur! lol, it was so freaking easy. Mesprit was the brat in my game. And Cresselia was just too easy. I just trap them and they do the rest.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom