• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pikachu getting neglected because of Greninja?

Queen Cynthia

Angelic Champion
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really really like (Ash-)Greninja and I absolutely love the idea of Pokemon and trainer becoming one and fighting as one.
However, I've noticed something over the last few months that I can't help talking about:

Is Pikachu getting increasingly neglected because of Greninja?

That poor guys has hardly had any singnifacnt battle recently (I'm talking about the US episodes not the Japanese ones). Also, it seems he's becoming more and more inactive and unimportant because all he seems to do is being with Ash and that's that.

After watching this week's DUB episode, I simply had to write this because it has beome pretty clear that all Ash is caring for at the moment is Greninja (which is great, but he shouldn't forget his best friend).
Also, I found it quite moving when Ash was walking out of the Pokemon Center's door saying that he wanted to be by himself and Pikachu sounded so disappointed and even sad because he wasn't allowed to be with him. What do you think about the way Ash's closest friend and the Pokemon that's been travelling with him since his very first day as trainer is treated at the moment.

Here's what I think:
Given his special status, shouldn't Pikachu of all Pokemon be the one Ash has the closest connection with? If you ask me, if Greninja gets an "Ash-form", Pikachu should already have gotten one for a long time, too.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't like Pikachu that much. He is just the mascot of the show that is why he still around. Pikachu gets most of the spotlight so there is no harm if there is one other pokemon that is sharing it with him. I'm not just talking about the battles, take it as a whole. Pikachu always sticks with Ash so he is the one getting most of the screentime. Greninja got a special form because of its past and he chose Ash instead of being chosen. Pikachu has a bond much different with Ash that's why he hasn't gotten any special form. They chose greninja over Pikachu because a question would arise if they did so, Pikachu has been since long so why is he getting it so late?
IMO, it's just fine.

You're right. I noticed that too. Don't worry, he bounces back tremendously in the Kalos League.

It's not really surprising. Pikachu honestly doesn't get running plotlines very often (outside Team Rocket) even though he has lots of screentime. Infernape "took over" in the past, as did Charizard. I was hoping there'd be a subplot of Pikachu being jealous of the idea that Greninja has "replaced" him as Ash's closest, but of course that hasn't happened and it's probably too late to have it start now.

Pikachu would be back in the spotlight for Alola once Greninja is left at Oak's lab.

Had I not known you were talking about the dub, I was gonna say something completely different then what I'm about to say now. Not gonna spoil anything, but wait for the Kalos league, you'll be genuinely happy with what Pikachu does there.

Greninja get's the "Special" form because it's the only thing Ash has Kalos related that would make sense and because it's popular. Pikachu on the other hand is the mascot and GF tends to like it the way it is, thus Pikachu will always be strong without any given power up thank's to its mascot status.

Hi Queen C, I felt absolutely the same as you during that boring Geckouga Trials month. As others have pointed out, the torture ends soon(ish). I wish Alola will give Pikachu the opportunity for a storyline outside of supporting Satoshi.
Well, I didn't like Pikachu that much.
Dude, your avatar - dafuq?

Kalos League aside there is the issue of Gen VI not bringing anything new the anime could use for Pikachu. Hopefully (I actually like Pikachu as a character in the anime) next gen is different.

Hi Queen C, I felt absolutely the same as you during that boring Geckouga Trials month. As others have pointed out, the torture ends soon(ish). I wish Alola will give Pikachu the opportunity for a storyline outside of supporting Satoshi.

Dude, your avatar - dafuq?
It's a random Pikachu not Ash's :whistle:

I wish Alola will give Pikachu the opportunity for a storyline outside of supporting Satoshi.

Well the Alola Raichu practically guarantees that we'll have another Pikachu vs. Raichu battle, which would be cool considering it's been awhile since we've hand one and an explanation as to why Pikachu doesn't want to evolve. They also might do something with Mimikyu, even though that almost might be just a episode plot rather than a storyline.

Anyway, I'm sure Pikachu will get more chances to shine. Greninja is a sixth generation Pokemon and quite popular, so it's going to get some special treatment, but Pikachu is the franchise's mascot and will stay with Ash in the next series while Greninja will not. Although, I'm pretty much fine with the Greninja focus. It's not perfect, but I think it's pretty cool. Plus, I'd rather focus on Ash-Greninja than be reminded of the other problems with Ash's team like Noivern being handled so poorly right from the start. At least the Ash-Greninja storyline is interesting, the setup with the Wulfric battle in the recent dub episode was quite good and it doesn't set me into a bit of rage when thinking about it like Noivern does.

Well the Alola Raichu practically guarantees that we'll have another Pikachu vs. Raichu battle, which would be cool considering it's been awhile since we've hand one and an explanation as to why Pikachu doesn't want to evolve. They also might do something with Mimikyu, even though that almost might be just a episode plot rather than a storyline.
I'm really hoping we get an ongoing Pikachu/Raichu rivalry rather than a single episode throwback (although the DP one was damn good). I don't know what they'd do with Mimikyu and Pika... (I'd honestly much rather see it involved in the context TRio!)
Plus, I'd rather focus on Ash-Greninja than be reminded of the other problems with Ash's team like Noivern being handled so poorly right from the start. At least the Ash-Greninja storyline is interesting, the setup with the Wulfric battle in the recent dub episode was quite good and it doesn't set me into a bit of rage when thinking about it like Noivern does.
Thing is, I couldn't help but feel that Onvern may have had better development if it hadn't come in when this Geckouga hype was about to take off, but different strokes 'eh!

It bothered me that not once was there an episode where Ash stepped back and realized how much he was depending of Ash-Greninja---the episode in the woods seemed like it was going for that, but in the end it only strengthened his bond with it.

I think it would've been neat if Ash vs. Alain had Ash-Greninja end up losing, and Pikachu stepping in and putting up a fight against Mega Charizard X. Same outcome, but not as predictable perhaps.

Still, they might be able to do this plot somewhat during the Flare Arc since it seem Ash-Greninja might be taken out of commision.

I'm really hoping we get an ongoing Pikachu/Raichu rivalry rather than a single episode throwback (although the DP one was damn good). I don't know what they'd do with Mimikyu and Pika... (I'd honestly much rather see it involved in the context TRio!)

That would be neat, but the Pikachu/Raichu rivalry would probably function better as a one episode deal than an on-going storyline. They could do something more with Mimikyu and Pikachu than just a one episode plot. I've seen people speculate than James could catch a Mimikyu, which would be adorable.

ii kanji said:
Thing is, I couldn't help but feel that Onvern may have had better development if it hadn't come in when this Geckouga hype was about to take off, but different strokes 'eh!

That's fair. It's possible that Noivern could have gotten some better development or at least some more focus if Ash-Greninja wasn't the main focus of Ash's Kalos team at this point of the series, but I don't think that it would have made Noivern much better. There was no way for it to be saved after doing virtually nothing between learning to fly and its evolution episode. It did learn a new attack, but it barely had any battling experience and was a baby/infant. It shouldn't have been able to evolve in the first place. Some more focus after that could have helped, especially when it learned Dragon Claw out of nowhere, but there wasn't much to salvage for Noivern by the time it evolved, which is one reason why I don't mind Ash-Greninja taking up so much focus from his other team. It's still an issue, but one that I'm at least okay with.

I gotta be honest, hearing that Greninja was taking up so much of the spotlight is one of the reason I decided to start powering through the show again to catch up before Sun & Moon. What can I say? I love that guy!

I don't see Satoshi's Pikachu as the kind who would care for that rivalry much unless the Raichu in question was a real jerk. Or unless we're talking a friendly rivalry.

Well the Alola Raichu practically guarantees that we'll have another Pikachu vs. Raichu battle, which would be cool considering it's been awhile since we've hand one and an explanation as to why Pikachu doesn't want to evolve. They also might do something with it, even though that almost might be just a episode plot rather than a storyline..

If either of these things happen regarding this, I'm going to leave this damned anime FOREVER!!!!
1. The Raichu has a evil/negative shade. Gamefreak, not ALL Raichu are negative.
2. They piss off Raichu AGAIN!! Evolution HAS A MEANING!! They're just pissing off my favourite Pokemon for nothing.
3. I need NO EVOLUTIOJ DRAMA!!! Raichu is (again?) being pissed off due to being Pika's evolution.

Even if someone kills me for it, I love Raichu more than Pikachu, and I WILL evolve it when I manage to get my hands on the useful thunderstone.

(Sorry if this looks like a rant, but... I love Raichu over Pikachu too much...)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom