• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokemon Adventures worth getting?

Lupin does bring up a good point. It does make me wonder if they changed the story so that it would 'make sense', considering that Viz had no intention of doing RS, FRLG and Emerald before it. Not to mention the fact that they haven't finished the GSC arc, and are now moving onto BW without finishing DPP first or starting on HGSS...

Now that I think about it, it makes me wonder if Viz only started to do the GSC arc for the sole sake of HGSS's release...

It's only worth getting if you're already familiar with the other arcs through the Chuang Yi version. Because following the series through Viz's releases is just a big headache. Any other reason would be for collection purposes and supporting the manga in the states, so they can release more.

And apparently you failed to notice that I cannot online shop.

So I cannot get Chuang Yi version even if I wanted to. And believe me, if I could, I would. But I cannot.

I ain't touching it. Say what you will, but I'm not comfortable reading about a world where TRAINERS can get killed in battle. No thanks, give me the games or anime any day.

I ain't touching it. Say what you will, but I'm not comfortable reading about a world where TRAINERS can get killed in battle. No thanks, give me the games or anime any day.

No offense, but I already know that, and in a way, prefer its realism. What I was asking was regards to the second edition and stuff, that's only what really mattered to me.

And apparently you failed to notice that I cannot online shop.

So I cannot get Chuang Yi version even if I wanted to. And believe me, if I could, I would. But I cannot.
Read my post again. I wasn't suggesting that. -_-

If you're trying to follow this series in order via Viz's releases, it's going to be a giant headache since they're doing the same thing they did with YGO. So it's either because of collection purposes (knew the story beforehand and just want to own it), to support the series (so they will continue to release more), or the last reason, you don't mind. It's really your choice.

You act as if the manga is a bloodbath. Read it before you judge because that's FAAAAAR off of what it actually is.

Last edited:
You act as if the manga is a bloodbath. Read it before you judge because that's FAAAAAR off of what it actually is.
It's crappy for other reasons. And yes, I have read it. As much as I could stand.

But that's not the point of the thread. Anyway, Rai, since you said you liked the original releases, I can't really advise you.

The manga isn't that bad, really. There's only something that looks like blood in one of the earlier chapters, and that's it.

Also, RB = Pretty dark compared to the anime too. Just look at TR and the marowak.

It's crappy for other reasons. And yes, I have read it. As much as I could stand.

But that's not the point of the thread. Anyway, Rai, since you said you liked the original releases, I can't really advise you.

That wasn't even directed at you. Why are you acting like it was?

The manga isn't that bad, really. There's only something that looks like blood in one of the earlier chapters, and that's it.

Also, RB = Pretty dark compared to the anime too. Just look at TR and the marowak.

Well....there is this...

rubybleeding.png

There's also the moments where the main characters were turned to stone, Giovanni almost got killed in a fire, and Koga's Arbok who got sliced in half and yet somehow managed to revive itself. Other villains got trapped in other dimensions before.

The only death that I can think of was when two Magmar got frozen before being shattered to pieces. None of the deaths are 'bloodbaths' or graphic at all.

So in other words, you're not comfortable reading a Pokemon manga with some level of realism in it?

To be honest I don't get why it bothers you anyway though. There are only two permanent human deaths I can think of in the manga, and both were off-screen. I could somewhat understand if they were on-screen and/or really gory, but they're not.

It's crappy for other reasons.
That's just an opinion, and only based on what all you did read.

And yes, I have read it. As much as I could stand.
How much was that?

If that wasn't the point of the thread, then why did you even bother saying all that anyway? Not only that, but if you can't help why did you even bother posting in the first place?

Last edited:
Exactly...

I didn't ask if Adventures was good or not, I already know that it is good, in my humble opinion. I only asked about Viz's recent retake on them, which wasn't what you gave your input on.

If that wasn't the point of the thread, then why did you even bother saying all that anyway? Not only that, but if you can't help why did you even bother posting in the first place?
I originally intended to not post in this thread, but I saw someone express dissatisfaction with Adventures, and his sentiment was disputed. As one of the few people here who actually dislikes Adventures, it was very tempting to express my disappointment as well. My apologies.

Last edited:
I originally intended to not post in this thread, but I saw someone express dissatisfaction with Adventures, and his sentiment was disputed.
To be honest I thought people were more of disputing the human death thing than him actually not liking Adventures.

As one of the few people here who actually dislikes Adventures, it was very tempting to express my disappointment as well. My apologies.
No worries. :) I can understand and respect that. I apologize myself if I seemed to attack you or anything.

I honestly could have gave a damn if someone disliked Special. That's all subjective. I merely disputed a rather common claim of violence in the manga and suggested that it was worth a read if you're a Pokemon fan.

Not to mention, someone can't possibly be "dissatisfied" with something that they've never touched (inb4 that's what she said).

I hate to sound like I'm mini-modding or anything, but can we just drop it?

This thread of mine has served its purpose, and I am convinced on possibly getting into this series again.

Sheesh, one little comment I make, and everyone goes to pot. I'm just saying I don't like the sudden change of pace; in the games, only the Pokémon get attacked, no one gets hurt except the villains or anyone I hate in terms of story. I do not die. And I like it like this.

But in the manga, ANYONE can die. I've heard most of the heroes got turned to stone! Seriously, WTF?!

Last edited:
The heros were also revived.

And to be frank, Pokemon Adventures isn't too different from what Generation I was. In that generation, the majority of trainers (so it seemed) carried around whips to "whip their Pokemon into shape", several Pokedex entries made references to death or Pokemon hunting a lot more frequently then they do now, Team Rocket had killed a Cubone's mother, and then there's that common theory that Blue/Green's Raticate had died. In that sense, Generation I is a lot more darker, and at times, even disturbing.

The anime, and other manga works, also has character deaths, and I don't see anyone complaining about it either.

The turning-into-stone bit was also no different than what happened to Satoshi in the first movie.

The characters are in obvious peril but they don't die. It's no different than in the games, where the only reason the player character gets transported back to the center after losing a battle to one of the evil teams is because of gameplay and story segregation. The evil teams aren't going to let you go alive, that makes absolutely no sense and is bad writing, especially when its a story-driven manga.

Last edited:
The evil teams aren't going to let you go alive, that makes absolutely no sense and is bad writing, especially when its a story-driven manga.

Now, that entirely depends on the evil team. The only one I can see killing people in the games is Rocket, and even then it would have to be Giovanni or one of the admins. Well, Ghetsis might too, but the other Plasmas I don't think so. Aqua and Magma would probably consider it counterproductive, and Galactic would consider it redundant (remember, the entire reason their plan fell apart in DP is because Cyrus lets you free the lake spirits because he'd prefer to avoid killing them).

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom