• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that you are probably being hyperbolic and facetious but this just definitely isn’t accurate at all lol
E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

You'd think that after a year of PPM19's artstyle they'd be able to draw eyes without them looking like they lived through Lt. Surge's war

I’m worried there’s going to be a lot of disappointment because people are getting their hopes up way too much.

It is not guaranteed that ALL of his Pokémon will appear, it isn’t guaranteed that any of them will have a large role besides Infernape, and it definitely isn’t guaranteed that his Pokémon will continue to appear throughout the series.

You are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

You'd think that after a year of PPM19's artstyle they'd be able to draw eyes without them looking like they lived through Lt. Surge's war
I wouldn't call the shots you chose to be bad examples of the artstyle and animation, especially considering how much detail is being put into the background. That, and the lighting in these shots are also shown in pretty good detail here as well(the shadows of the window panes in the back of the second image for example). This just seems to be an issue you have with the CotD's design and not the artstyle specifically.

E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

These actually look like pretty beautiful shots, though? At worse they aren’t any worse than anything we’ve seen so far in normal episodes of any given series. One CotD having small irises is a far cry from “past several episodes have been ugly as sin”. Not only that but there is hardly any reason to attribute this to one beautiful shot of Moltres.

Will Gou mad from jealousy?

Normally calm and collected turned volatile.

Well, THAT would certainly be taken VERY well. Yes, I can see this causing absolutely no complaints and Goh-bashing at all.
Depending on how it’s handled, I wouldn’t mind it. If it ends up in obnoxious behaviour I wouldn’t blame people for posting their negative thoughts. People who don’t like a particular plot point are not guilty of "bashing" a character.

E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

There were so many examples, but you chose the one that's supposed to look like that.

Ugh not again. This seems BS. Of course you will never have the bond with Satoshi like someone who knows him for years. What did Gou expect, did he think Satoshi viewed him as his best friend?
I guess so... I guess it could be a learning opportunity for Go but I don’t want that to take up an episode about reserves. Maybe we see subtle hints of Go feeling left out and then we get an episode centered around Go's lack of friends and feeling insecure after meeting Ash's companions, and then it’s up to Go's Pokémon like Grookey (the ones we've seen form a bond onscreen only, please) to cheer him up. But not this episode.

Go doesn’t seem like the person to show outward tantrums of jealously (well, I’m socially awkward like him and have faced similar feelings of insecurity, and characters like this would usually brood on it alone and try to hide it from Ash) so I really hope the writers don’t take this direction. It would be terribly out of character (I am using the definition of OOC being "acting outside one's established traits and mannerisms" because last time someone ended up having an argument on that) for Go, and not to mention annoying to watch.

It would work well as something, the hints for which develop across a period of time and then we get a full blown out depressive episode all to itself. Depending on how Go's rivals are handled, the feeling of possibly them catching Mew instead of him could add onto the pressure and insecurity as well.

It’s a viable plot point but please don’t exhaust it in this episode, writers.

I guess so... I guess it could be a learning opportunity for Go but I don’t want that to take up an episode about reserves. Maybe we see subtle hints of Go feeling left out and then we get an episode centered around Go's lack of friends and feeling insecure after meeting Ash's companions, and then it’s up to Go's Pokémon like Grookey (the ones we've seen form a bond onscreen only, please) to cheer him up. But not this episode.

Go doesn’t seem like the person to show outward tantrums of jealously (well, I’m socially awkward like him and have faced similar feelings of insecurity, and characters like this would usually brood on it alone and try to hide it from Ash) so I really hope the writers don’t take this direction. It would be terribly out of character (I am using the definition of OOC being "acting outside one's established traits and mannerisms" because last time someone ended up having an argument on that) for Go, and not to mention annoying to watch.

It would work well as something, the hints for which develop across a period of time and then we get a full blown out depressive episode all to itself. Depending on how Go's rivals are handled, the feeling of possibly them catching Mew instead of him could add onto the pressure and insecurity as well.

It’s a viable plot point but please don’t exhaust it in this episode, writers.
I could see Gou being jealous of Satoshi and Gary's friendship and this being the base of their "rivalry". But I wouldnt like it at all. It feels wrong.

E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

Granted, I get your point, but I wouldn't say this is the best example tho lol.

To be completely fair, while I don't think the JN artstyle is bad, ehh, admittedly, some scenes were kinda of wonky in some of the past episodes. But this is definitely not one of them.

I thought the leaks were implying that Goh didn't get Moltres and was mad at both of them cause of that.
Being less than excited for not being able to catch a legendary is fine, if it’s forgotten about the next episode, but if Go throws a full tantrum at Ash and Gary... it goes against his character and I don’t even know what to say if that happens. That’s downright awful behaviour and indefensible.

It’s so outlandish that I can’t even see JN (even though my opinions are less than stellar on it) do that to Go.

Does anyone remember in Season 1 how Professor Oak mentioned to Ash that Gary caught over 100 Pokemon, making Ash feel discouraged?
That, plus the title of next week’s episode, plus the fact that the last we saw Gary, he had become a Pokemon Researcher just makes me think Goh and Gary might have a rivalry based on Pokédex counts, and maybe a shared interest in catching Mew as the endgame. (Potentially implied by the title)

Additionally, since both Ash and Goh are now “research assistants”, there’s some overlap to what Gary does, and I could see Gary being a rival to both of them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for the jealousy stuff over Gary’s friendship, that narrative sounds weird. I don’t think Ash and Gary have seen each other for many series at this point, nor were they ever like bffs.
It’s not like Goh had any bad attitude seeing Iris or Ash’s Alola friends either (other than calling out Kaiwe, but I thought that was cool for Goh to assert he has his own goals separate from Ash’s)

Last edited:
E1Ydp91WYAER7Z1.jpg

E1Ydk6aXEAAM8JE.jpg

I think it's interesting that the human eye style that was dropped after DP (Jessie, James and other characters got "updated") has kinda returned. Through I think Pikala in Sun and Moon was the first one to reintroduce it.

Actually, I just watched next week’s preview again with fixsub. and it sounds like Gary’s goal has to do with Moltres. Since Goh wants to catch them all, that’s another potential point of rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom