• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Loose Ends in the Games

Will and Karen aren't really plot holes or loose ends. Where did all the other members of the Elite 4 members of every other league come from? It can be assumed that, like the members before them, they wer exceptionally powerful trainers who were given the offer once a position opened up.

Well, the other E4's aren't like the Tohjo one. I can accept that an E4 member is there and that they have been for a while and it doesn't matter what they did to get there.

But with Tohjo, we see it twice. After three years there has been a huge upheaval, the champion was beaten and then left, two of the league left, and then these two people come from out of nowhere to replace them with no explanation or backstory.

Hence why he doesn't say a word, disappears without a trace after he's beaten, and why no one in Pallet has heard from him in months. Personally, I don't buy this theory, but find it interesting enough to share.
He just whited out and went to the nearest Pokémon Center to protect his Pokémon from further harm.

Well, the other E4's aren't like the Tohjo one. I can accept that an E4 member is there and that they have been for a while and it doesn't matter what they did to get there.

But with Tohjo, we see it twice. After three years there has been a huge upheaval, the champion was beaten and then left, two of the league left, and then these two people come from out of nowhere to replace them with no explanation or backstory.

What makes you so sure it was a huge upheaval? Perhaps it was just another transition state like what other Elite 4's probably go through every few years. We don't need a background story for them. Besides, we know Will was a traveling trainer who got accepted into the Elite 4 after years of training.
here's one that gets me.
how come after three years the best Team Rocket can do is cut off Slowpoke tails, force Magikarp to evolve and a radio broadcast crying for Giovanni. they were so fierce in Kanto but in Jhoto they just became lame. if they could do such dastardly deeds in Kanto what kept them from doing stuff lke tha in Jhoto? and i'm not using the whole no-boss thing since the execs were pretty much the boss.

Let's see, in Kanto, they were harvesting Marowak skulls. Though Slowpoke tails don't pose as immediate a threat to the Pokemon, it does take away the Slowpoke's only method of getting food, and they kidnapped the city's Pokemon, not wild ones.

They were testing their technology for forced evolution, not just evolving Magikarp, so that could have gotten somewhere if they hadn't been stopped. What were they doing in Celadon? They were doing their normal operations of importing illegal Pokemon and the player character just happened to stumble onto them.

Sure, in Goldenrod they were crying out for their boss, but that doesn't change the fact that they still managed to take over an entire city.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure their lameness isn't a loose end as they clearly state that they only see one true leader, and that's Giovanni and everything they do was an attempt to bring him back. The ends seem pretty tied up there.

Last edited:
And who was behind their (so-called) fierce plans in Kanto (They were actually pretty generic in Kanto)? Giovanni. No Giovanni, no Kanto-scale TR. Personally, though, I think that forcing evolution is a much more sinister plan than, say, stealing fossils.

i understand the evolution one perfectly. but they still could've done better since the Sevii island branch did better than the Jhoto branch and it's the same crew without a boss at the time.

i understand the evolution one perfectly. but they still could've done better since the Sevii island branch did better than the Jhoto branch and it's the same crew without a boss at the time.

What exactly did the Sevii branch do? If I recall, they were the ones ordered to harvest Pokemon for Celedon Game Corner and their warehouse on Chrono Island was a stop off point. They were under the commands of Giovanni, they just weren't that important to him, hence their not getting the news.

What, they stole the Ruby and Sapphire plates? Yeah, that was mostly because of a greedy scientist. Really, nothing they did there was harming anyone. The biker gang, the Kanto Federation were a bigger threat!

What exactly did the Sevii branch do? If I recall, they were the ones ordered to harvest Pokemon for Celedon Game Corner and their warehouse on Chrono Island was a stop off point. They were under the commands of Giovanni, they just weren't that important to him, hence their not getting the news.

What, they stole the Ruby and Sapphire plates? Yeah, that was mostly because of a greedy scientist. Really, nothing they did there was harming anyone. The biker gang, the Kanto Federation were a bigger threat!

well if the plates weren't saved by Red/Leaf they most likely would've been used for something nefarious.
i don't really know the details that well of the Sevii branch since i've yet to get there. only read what was on Serebii and Bulbawiki.

Let's see, in Kanto, they were harvesting Marowak skulls. Though Slowpoke tails don't pose as immediate a threat to the Pokemon, it does take away the Slowpoke's only method of getting food, and they kidnapped the city's Pokemon, not wild ones.

They were testing their technology for forced evolution, not just evolving Magikarp, so that could have gotten somewhere if they hadn't been stopped. What were they doing in Celadon? They were doing their normal operations of importing illegal Pokemon and the player character just happened to stumble onto them.

Sure, in Goldenrod they were crying out for their boss, but that doesn't change the fact that they still managed to take over an entire city.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure their lameness isn't a loose end as they clearly state that they only see one true leader, and that's Giovanni and everything they do was an attempt to bring him back. The ends seem pretty tied up there.

i didn't realize that thing with Slowpoke.
forgot that they took over Goldenrod, only remember them taking over the radio tower.
didn't remember that last thing. only played the original Jhoto games and yet to pick up Heartgold/Soulsilver. thanks for explaining.

well if the plates weren't saved by Red/Leaf they most likely would've been used for something nefarious.
i don't really know the details that well of the Sevii branch since i've yet to get there. only read what was on Serebii and Bulbawiki.

The plates had no real power in the game other than to allow for Celio's network to function properly and Gideon states specifically that it was just about the money.

Also, the original GS mentioned what I said in the end. They're whole purpose was to bring Giovanni back.

Also note: The Slowpoke tails do grow back, but I'm sure they'd starve before it grew back to its original length.

here's one that gets me.
how come after three years the best Team Rocket can do is cut off Slowpoke tails, force Magikarp to evolve and a radio broadcast crying for Giovanni. they were so fierce in Kanto but in Jhoto they just became lame. if they could do such dastardly deeds in Kanto what kept them from doing stuff lke tha in Jhoto? and i'm not using the whole no-boss thing since the execs were pretty much the boss.
Um...
"If you stand for justice, you betray evil!"
"How can you not see the beauty of our evil?"

These guys are as much villains as spilled milk.

I thought Agatha was dead until I saw Bertha. I'm almost 75% sure this will be used in some plot device later on.

Here's one. In the TR Base, a rocket member mentions how at a different heist, Silver came in and totally destroyed them. Since the only heist before that was the Slowpoke well, what was this other heist that was going on?

Here's one. In the TR Base, a rocket member mentions how at a different heist, Silver came in and totally destroyed them. Since the only heist before that was the Slowpoke well, what was this other heist that was going on?

Again, I don't see how that's a loose end in Team Rocket's plot. We know that as an organization, they probably have a lot of other operations, so Silver would have foiled one of those. Its not like you were actively searching for Team Rocket, you were more or less thrown into the action in your first two encounters. It's only in Goldenrod that the player character actually seemed like he chose to fight Team Rocket on his own. He wasn't asked by Kurt like in Slowpoke well or Lance in Mahogany. Sure Elm practically notified you about it but he didn't go "Save Goldenrod okay?"

The slowpoke well was a small operation, so this was probably another small one as well.

This one I don't think is really a loose end either, but a PC in the Unown Research building in the Ruins of Alph mentions a Professor Silkweed as the founder of the research centre. Perhaps foreshadowing the fifth generation's professor and their specialty?

Also before anyone mentions this, the foreigner Rocket at Cerulean isn't really a loose end. Sure he says he'd bring back Team Rocket in his home country, but the way he's portrayed, it just makes it seem like big talk from an unimportant character.

Last edited:
This one I don't think is really a loose end either, but a PC in the Unown Research building in the Ruins of Alph mentions a Professor Silkweed as the founder of the research centre. Perhaps foreshadowing the fifth generation's professor and their specialty?

This leads to a bigger loose thread though (and I'm sure UL is gonna jump on this the second I post it): the mystery of the Unown.

They're technically legendary Pokemon reveried by an ancient civilization and live in ruins all around Poke-Japan (with the exception of Hoenn, but that very well could change in Gen V). Not only that, but they have some connection to Arceus (as evidenced by the Sinjoh event) and their worshippers have a connection with the people of Sinnoh which hasn't been explored in detail yet.

Lastly, the opening scenes of both Crystal and HGSS hint at a relationship between one or all of the legendary beasts. What could this relationship be, if any?

The Unown are probably the most mysterious creatures in the Pokemon world right now and for over three generations, GF has deliberately refused to tell us much about them.

This leads to a bigger loose thread though (and I'm sure UL is gonna jump on this the second I post it): the mystery of the Unown.

They're technically legendary Pokemon reveried by an ancient civilization and live in ruins all around Poke-Japan (with the exception of Hoenn, but that very well could change in Gen V). Not only that, but they have some connection to Arceus (as evidenced by the Sinjoh event) and their worshippers have a connection with the people of Sinnoh which hasn't been explored in detail yet.

Lastly, the opening scenes of both Crystal and HGSS hint at a relationship between one or all of the legendary beasts. What could this relationship be, if any?

The Unown are probably the most mysterious creatures in the Pokemon world right now and for over three generations, GF has deliberately refused to tell us much about them.

I didn't really want to touch on that as I thought the revelation of the Gen V professor being an Unown expert would shed light on their mysteries.

Their worshipers also didn't just have a connection with the people of Sinnoh, they had worshipers in Sinnoh, particularly, Solaceon. There's also the connection in the Tanoby ruins and possibly that last cryptic message that appears in the Ruins of Alph after catching 26 Unown. The passage in particular says this:

Page 8

The characters found scratched on the floor in the small room are transcribed here in this report. OUR FRIENDS LOOK UP AND HEARTILY CONGRATULATE US We don't know what this could possibly mean yet.

The Researchers were saying they'll need to examine the ruins again, but...?

They leave that part of the Unown Report open ended. But what? This is what makes me think that Gen V is actually set in the future beyond the current timeline. Not so far past in the future, but the events are not contemporary with any other games. As for remakes, they'd probably be like Colo/XD and be like "fuck continuity" and hope the fandom finally understands the concept of game play and story segregation when it comes to trading.

Also:

GEN V GAMES ARE CALLED BLACK AND WHITE! UNOWN ARE BLACK AND WHITE! COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Last edited:

Well duh! They are called unown after all!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom