• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LT Weekly Poll #4 Should we go back to coloured cartridges?

Do you think coloured cartridges should return?

• Yes!

Votes: 142 94.0%
  • No...

Votes: 9 6.0%

• Total voters
I really like the color cartridges for R/S/E because they have a sort of transparency to them. I don't think they could do that with the cartridges for the DS/3DS though. Colored cartridges would be nice to have(especially transparent), but it doesn't matter.

Gen VI Cartridges

Just a thought, and if its been done before, sorry.
Who would like to see the next Gen games colored? Like back in the days when you could always tell your pokemon games from your others without the sticker. :D Red was red, yellow yellow, Crystal version was so epic looking! :D

Re: Gen VI Cartridges

Yes, I think it'd be kinda cool. Coloured cartridges were kinda the Pokemon "thing" back in the Game Boy days. So bringing it back would be like a bit of nostalgia without actually changing anything that matters all that much.

Well the reason why the DS cartridges were always black is because that's how they're made. I don't know why, but they wouldn't go into the trouble of having, for example, white cartridges for White and White 2. And it'd be the same for 3DS cartridges - they're always white, so they can't really the change the colour of that either.

I remember when I first got Diamond and Pearl, and was disappointed that the cartridges were a generic gray-black color rather than blue and purple colored cartridges, it was a major letdown for me, cause the colors of the cartridges of the previous Pokemon games were always how I could tell them apart from the rest of my games, and it was always fun to see how unique the cartridges were. At least I keep the cases the DS games come in though for all my DS and 3DS games, let alone the Pokemon ones, but it's still hard to tell them apart.

Well the reason why the DS cartridges were always black is because that's how they're made. I don't know why, but they wouldn't go into the trouble of having, for example, white cartridges for White and White 2. And it'd be the same for 3DS cartridges - they're always white, so they can't really the change the colour of that either.

Yeah, and it's possible that it would cost more to make the DS and 3DS cartridges colored just for the Pokemon games, and Nintendo didn't want to spend extra money.

I'd love me some pretty colors! The GBA games in particular all had their distinct shade...LeafGreen green, FireRed red, Sapphire a cool translucent blue. The only problem I see happening is that the cartridge wouldn't blend into the DS anymore, but I don't think it matters all that much.

I doubt it. The bone/ beige colored 3DS carts were meant to differentiate from standard DS games, so I don't think they'll make the special colors for one or two franchises again. It probably costs too much to manufacture.

It's not necessary by any means, but it would be nice to see that again. I rather liked that the cartridges were colored to match the version.

I liked how the cartridges were colored and matched with the games. It just made them stand out more to me. It definitely isn't necessary and it probably is more expensive to make, but I wouldn't be against that returning at some point. It would be kind of cool to see new colored cartridges again.

Starting with HGSS and continuing for the games up to B2W2 in the main series games, they had infrared (IR) functionality. If you view the cartridge while viewing near the bright sun or just a bright light in general, you'll see the IR material glowing red - that's why those games couldn't be coloured, if I were to guess. 3DS games won't have this problem as they have IR functions on the console, so it's possible...but it's not likely to happen.

A different colored cartridge would be pretty cool, but I'd imagine it could be rather expensive,and not quite nescesscary. But it made a comeback, I would welcome it.

I liked coloured cartridges.

Hopefully they will return, but there's a less chance

I actually rather like the non-colored carts. They look more "professional" somehow, and they don't stick out like a sore thumb when I'm lining them up with my other DS games. It's why I don't like the case of NSMBW and Mario/Sonic London 2012. :( OCD makes me go "NO WHY DID THEY DO THAT".

Players of Black and Black 2 do have a cart that matches their version, though, as Bulbapedia points out.

The end of colored carts were a letdown for me, especially because you never ever had to ask what a person was playing if they were playing, the color just told you. But think about it and you can realize that the stop with colors is just to phase the trend out. There's only so many colors and they cant keep it going forever. The games will not be colored in the future simply because there aren't really any colors left to do. Purple and Orange are all that's left, but that would seem like a very odd combination and it would almost make it seem as though they were RB sequels... So the hope for colored games is basically gone now... sorry guys.

I wish it would return. I miss the days of me not having to dig around my handheld game bag and look at the labels. Before D&P, when I needed to get some Pokémon action, I could just look in the bag and go "There's my green Emerald game!" or "There's my gold Gold game!"

I would love it to return that way, but after Gen IV and V, I'm doubtful. Platinum and Black were the only games to have the cartridge colour matching the game, but that was coincidence.

The end of colored carts were a letdown for me, especially because you never ever had to ask what a person was playing if they were playing, the color just told you. But think about it and you can realize that the stop with colors is just to phase the trend out. There's only so many colors and they cant keep it going forever. The games will not be colored in the future simply because there aren't really any colors left to do. Purple and Orange are all that's left, but that would seem like a very odd combination and it would almost make it seem as though they were RB sequels... So the hope for colored games is basically gone now... sorry guys.
Pink, brown and beige for normal colours, but there's a long list of unused colours. If anything, they're running out of gemstones.

Last edited:

Players of Black and Black 2 do have a cart that matches their version, though, as Bulbapedia points out.

If I remember correctly, that's not actually a true black but rather the material they use to amplify infrared communication. If you hold it up to a (very) bright light (watch your eyes) you'll see what I mean by this - it reveals the transparency and colour of the cartridge being a very dark (and otherwise unnoticeable) red.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom