• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon - Pokemon.com Article

Sunain

Inactive Account
Reaction score
Pokemon.com has posted a feedback article on the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon and the new VA. This is biggest bunch of *&$% ever written and is completely false. Almost all fans disliked the new voice actors and would like the original ones brought back.

Pokemon.com said:
We have also heard you were concerned with the new voice actors, and many of you have voiced your concern (pun intended) though your e-mails and letters. Believe us - we are fans of the TV show, too, and we care just as much about something like voice changes as you do, We changed the voice actors for the main characters because we were told that the actors who used to provide voices to our characters had conflicting contractual commitments. So, we hope you will help us welcome the new voice actors into the Pokemon family - we think they're great, and they did a great job on The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon during the shortened transition period between production studioes... Nothing else was changed, and it is still the same awesome show you're used to seeing every week, with great storylines straight from Japan, original music, and a well-thought out plot (which is the most important thing when producing a TV show)!

Pokemon has always been about fair play and teamwork, and we expect the same from our fans. In other words, if you have comments, complaints or praise, let us know directly at [email protected]. We always welcome constructiuve criticism!

Personally, I liked the story of The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon, but the new voice actors were highly distracting. Brock sounded like a chainsmoker, Ash's voice was just wrong, May's voice sounded like at 50 year old, and James sounded terrible. What makes people mad about this change is they are basically replacing the main characters and pretending nothing happened to them.

Now to discuss why Pokemon.com editoral is completely wrong.
Pokemon.com said:
we care just as much about something like voice changes as you do
If they really cared they would have found a way to remedy these supposed 'contractual commitments' just like any sports company would to keep their stars on the team. They didn't even care about them because according to Reggie Fils-Aime at last years E3, "Pokemon is serious business." The decision to change the voice actors was a business decision. After 8 seasons of voice acting for the anime, the actors salary increases, so replacing them with basic salary actors allows Pokemon USA to save money.

Veronica Taylor said:
Pokemon USA has made no effort to negotiate with 4kids, simply feeling that getting a cheaper rate to dub the show is enough. They care nothing for the quality. They will be using new script writers, voices, music, etc. We (the voice actors and those at 4kids who work so hard on the show) are all extremely upset as we care very much for Pokemon and what we've worked to create.

Eric Stuart said:
Pokemon USA has decided that it's too expensive to use 4Kids and the actors that have made Pokemon the TV show such a success for the last 10 years. They have 'behind our backs' re-cast the show with 'sound-a-likes' to try to save money. They acutally believe the fans don't care. They are starting with the 10 year anniversary special-starring all new voices. The main cast, me included, has taken a lot of pride in the characters we have helped to create. To change now, on the last season, based on greed is a sad example of what big buisness kids marketing really is.

This just shows how far companies these day's will go to save a buck or two, Sacrificing quality.

Pokemon.com said:
Nothing else was changed, and it is still the same awesome show you're used to seeing every week, with great storylines straight from Japan, original music, and a well-thought out plot
For years, the background music has been changed from the originally broadcast raw in Japan. Myself and others believe that the japanese background music is leaps and bounds beyond the english dubbed version. The storylines would be great if they sticked to the original one in the japanese release. There are too many paint edits, clip cuts and dialogue changes in the english version and they are still doing it in the latest episodes of the show. Most recently, airing May's final contest out of order. This changes the flow of the storyline arc, so I do not see how they can justify by saying they are 'straight from Japan'. The final point here is the 'well-though out plot'. Pokemon plot: Ash and group travel to the nearest gym to challenge the leader to get the badge to enter the local league. Team Rocket arrives on the scene to capture Pikachu but fails miserably and blast out into the sky. You'de think the Japanese and english dub would finally come up with a new plot after 10 years. This isn't the dubs fault, but they could at least influence the Japanese script writers to change the plot.

Pokemon.com said:
Pokemon has always been about fair play and teamwork, and we expect the same from our fans.
Team Rocket plays fair? Guess Giovanni must now run Pokemon USA. Fair would be actually listening to your fans concerns instead of laughing all the way to the bank. A recent magazine article stated the Pokemon USA is worth about 1.3billion dollars. I think they can afford to keep the original voice actors. The current rumour is that KidsWB also didn't like the change in the Voice Actors and decided they wouldn't broadcast the show anymore. (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Cartoon_Network_reportedly_in_negotiations_with_Pokémon_USA)
Ratings said:
Pokemon at 10:00 a.m. ET captured the sweep as the #1 broadcast program among the Saturday morning competition in Kids 6-11 (2.5/10, tied with Xiaolin Showdown), Boys 2-11 (2.8/11) and Boys 6-11 (3.6/15, tied with Xiaolin Showdown). The program also took the #2 Saturday morning broadcast program spot among Kids 2-11 (2.1/8), Tweens 9-14 (2.4/12) and Males Tweens 9-14 (3.4/16)"
If this is true, then I congratulate them for doing so. Pokemon was KidsWB's highest rated show, so it must have been a difficult decision for them. Keeping the quality of the shows high should be the mark of any television channel. The voice actors are still willing to continue protraying their characters, so they should not have been changed.

Recommendations for people that do not like the new dub. Stop watching it if you dont like the new voice actors. The japanese version is available to watch online and isnt too difficult to follow. I was always one to state, don't compare the dub to the japanese version as they both have their own unique qualities, but since the VA change, my stance has changed. http://www.bulbagarden.net/pokemoncreations/sova/ is also a great cause to help bring back the voice actors.

[/rant]

Last edited:
They encourage to write to them, do it. PUSA are reading the e-mails about the voices at the very least.

Sunain said:
The current rumour is that KidsWB also didn't like the change in the Voice Actors and decided they wouldn't broadcast the show anymore. If this is true, then I congratulate them for doing so. Pokemon was KidsWB's highest rated show, so it must have been a difficult decision for them. Keeping the quality of the shows high should be the mark of any television channel. The voice actors are still willing to continue protraying their characters, so they should not have been changed

That rumour was baloney though :/.

The WB killed off all its anime, Pokemon was just caught in the storm. It's not as if it's the first time a popular show has been killed off simply because the new boss didn't like it.

I really think people are playing on this "PUSA has loads of money, they should throw it all at the VAs" thing though. They tend to lose sight of the fact that PUSA is not an anime publisher, it's an umbrella group for the various Pokemon projects across the whole of America. That includes the TCG, the Games, the Merch, the anime and random stuff like the Journey Across America.

Their profits are also not theirs. They're merely part of the Pokemon Company, who in turn are merely part of Nintendo alongside Gamefreak. It's not really up to them to decide to throw a few million dollars at the VAs/4Kids to get them on the job. And with other actors already hired, that'd also mean severance pay for them in the process of firing them simply to get the old ones back.

PUSA is a business, big revelation. Throwing money away isn't what businesses do.

Doctor Oak said:
That rumour was baloney though :/.

The WB killed off all its anime, Pokemon was just caught in the storm. It's not as if it's the first time a popular show has been killed off simply because the new boss didn't like it.

While I'm not entirely sure of that rumor either,if there was any truth to what Veronica Taylor said then I can sort of imagine what happned when Kids'WB was setting up the Saturday morning line up.

Alright,so there were basically 2 animes left on the line up since Yugioh was ending this season.That leaves Pokemon (#1 show) and Viewtiful Joe which isn't relevant at all and most likely would've been canceled anyway.

So that just leaves Pokemon,that would've stuck out like a sore thumb in a block full of Warner Bros. cartoons.So anybody that was in charge of the schedule might've found themselves between a rock and a hard place.You either go for a full Warner Bros. line-up,but drop your highest rated show.Or you keep your highest rated show,but realize it's going to be out of place among all the other Warner Bros. cartoons.

This is why I'm a bit suspicious of that Pillow Head Hour.It's not really a new cartoon per sé,but more of an hour block of educational programing.Once the people in charge found out the original cast on Pokemon was going to be replaced,that could've clinched their decision to remove Pokemon from the line-up and put Pillow Head Hour in it's place.

If it wasn't going to be the exact same show for Season 9,why bother taking the risk in keeping it on the schedule? The Saturday morning block was only one show away from a Warner Bros. line-up anyway.And especially since Kids'WB would've still had to pay for the broadcasting rights.

It's probably not the sole reason why Kids'WB axed Pokemon,but it could've contributed to their final decision.

Being the only anime amongst cartoons from an american company has not stopped Pokemon before. Far before YGO even came to our shores, Pokemon stood alone in the Kids' WB lineup. If they want to give it up in favor of sucking up to Time Warner, then that is what they will do. What I am getting from this is that once again, a decision was made with the anime, and there is nothing that any of us can say that will make them change their minds.

I do know one thing-nothing is going to stop me from seeing Sceptile. Nothing.

A lot of episodes I think are predictable but the plot in the Hoenn episodes especially is actually pretty good.

That aside, I completely agree that it's a business. Well, duh, it is, but you know what I mean. And another thing businesses don't like is a bunch of angry customers. If they are going to keep strong in keeping the new VA's, then we need to be just as strong and persistant that we won't let that happen. Hopefully, this goes in the right direction.

Sceptile726 said:
Being the only anime amongst cartoons from an american company has not stopped Pokemon before. Far before YGO even came to our shores, Pokemon stood alone in the Kids' WB lineup.

Yeah,but that was more like Kids'WB getting it's butt kicked by FoxKids and had to pick up Pokemon to have a fighting chance.Actually,I think the whole WB network was in a bit of trouble.Pokemon was one of the shows that brought in a lot of viewers and helped keep the network afloat.

They were airing lots of anime at one point.Pokemon,Yugioh, CardCaptors,Mega Man... But now it looks like they're reverting to in-house stuff.

I'm saying the change in VA's might've been convenient for anyone that was in charge of the line-up.They may have been unsure about keeping series,but the VA situation might've made their decision a lot easier.

pkmn Trainer Zach said:
And another thing businesses don't like is a bunch of angry customers. If they are going to keep strong in keeping the new VA's, then we need to be just as strong and persistant that we won't let that happen. Hopefully, this goes in the right direction.

I completely agree with your statement.

Nomekop Oen said:
Yeah,but that was more like Kids'WB getting it's butt kicked by FoxKids and had to pick up Pokemon to have a fighting chance.Actually,I think the whole WB network was in a bit of trouble.Pokemon was one of the shows that brought in a lot of viewers and helped keep the network afloat.

I agree with you too. When WB decided to combine with UPN, I'm sure they looked at what shows were profitable. Smallville, Gilmore Girls all survived as they are popular shows just like pokemon. There has to be some real reason why they would drop their highest rated kids show. The only plausible rumour we have is they didnt like the Voice actors.

I think what some people in this topic need to remember is that it might not be Pokémon USA who's lying and/or is misinformed here. I honestly don't understand this idol worship of the 4Kids VA's. Just because they said something, doesn't mean it's automatically right or true. Remember people, we've already been told by one of the 4Kids VA's months back that the VA's are *very* low down the ranks, and have very little influence or knowledge of management decisions.

Just quickly to address one main point here....Sunain, the reason they did it was to remove their anime, end of discussion. It has nothing to do with what rated best, it had to do with wanting to have all the programs on their network be properties and franchises that they owned and controlled.

That, and all of the VAs' testimonies have been quotable sources being frank and direct in their responses, and not to mention they've all matched up flawlessly. What we've heard from PUSA has been small bits and pieces that contradict each other and no clear idea at all on who can be trusted and who can't and what's quotable and what's rumors.

Yes, we admire the voice actors after eight years of great voice acting - that's one reason why we want to help them. But please don't accuse us of not using our heads because of that.

Even in that situation though Blackjack, it seems to be like people are too ready at this point to leap on some piece of information from the 4Kids side and declare it as true, just because it comes from there. Even if they were the only ones giving us info, that's no reason to believe them without question.

Pie, the only things that PUSA have contradicted with their statements have been the statements of the 4Kids VA's. As for the statements of the 4Kids VA's matching up...given that they know each other well, that's hardly surprising. It's very easy to co-ordinate stories.

And I'm sorry, but you especially, who's become *very* emotional over the issue, cannot be expected to only be thinking rationally over this whole issue.

Archaic, I think what I and other are saying is not really a question of who's info (PUSA vs 4Kids) is correct, its the actual chaning of the VA's. Pokemon.com's article tries to defend the change, but the general conscious is the change was a bad move. Take a show like Simpsons, Family Guy, or South Park, If you get rid of the VA's from any of thoses shows, you basically kill the show. D'OH! The same is true with the change in VA's for Pokemon.

Pokemon.com said:
Believe us - we are fans of the TV show, too, and we care just as much about something like voice changes as you do

If they really cared, they wouldn't change the current VA's.

Last edited:
Sunain said:
Archaic, I think what I and other are saying is not really a question of who's info (PUSA vs 4Kids) is correct, its the actual chaning of the VA's. Pokemon.com's article tries to defend the change, but the general conscious is the change was a bad move. Take a show like Simpsons, Family Guy, or South Park, If you get rid of the VA's from any of thoses shows, you basically kill the show. D'OH! The same is true with the change in VA's for Pokemon.

Every single female character in South Park was recast to a different actor and no-one kicked up any fuss about it then.

Doctor Oak said:
Every single female character in South Park was recast to a different actor and no-one kicked up any fuss about it then.

You're not talking about the VA that committed suicide right? At least I think she committed suicide.

Sunain said:
Archaic, I think what I and other are saying is not really a question of who's info (PUSA vs 4Kids) is correct, its the actual chaning of the VA's. Pokemon.com's article tries to defend the change, but the general conscious is the change was a bad move.

I have to strongly disagree here. While we have a very vocal group of people who are against the change, who happen to be posting on these forums, the average 10- year old fan of the show didn't care.

And besides, PUSA's criteria for the change being a good move, and an obsessive fan's criteria, are two dramatically different things. You're also ignoring the fact that, at least according to PUSA, they didn't exactly have a choice but to change the VA's, in taking back the franchise from 4Kids.

A couple of things, which ,looking back, are basically just repeating what Archaic's saying:

1) I've said this before, and I'll say it again: fans who post in Pokemon message boards are the minority. Just because everyone's moaning and female dogging over the changes here and on SPP doesn't mean that the general public is.

2) I agree with Archaic about not putting 100% of our faith in the VA's statements. I mean, that quote from Maddie Blaustein about Kids' WB! rejecting Season 9 because they didn't like the new VA's? Complete bull.

I would like to bring up one potential point of why we haven't had much in the way of official reply comment from Pokémon USA regarding the current issues.

E3.

Pokémon USA isn't just concerned with the anime, it's concerned with the video games and TCG as well, not to mention all the other marketing of the franchise. E3 is likely to be big for Pokémon, with english announcements of Mysterious Dungeon, Ranger, and maybe even a possible announcement of Diamond and Pearl if we're lucky. The entire marketing and PR department is *very* busy currently, and on a tight schedule. They simply don't have the time to deal with this issue at the current point in time in a way that would do the issue justice.

Mark my words. We will hear something substantial from Pokémon USA regarding this issue following E3, with all these details we're worrying over currently spelled out and clarified. Until then...all we can do is wait. And hopefully, you all (and by that, I mean everyone in the online fandom, not just people on this forum) won't keep clogging up the inbox of both them and CN with these emails until at least after then.

Archaic said:
Pie, the only things that PUSA have contradicted with their statements have been the statements of the 4Kids VA's. As for the statements of the 4Kids VA's matching up...given that they know each other well, that's hardly surprising. It's very easy to co-ordinate stories.

And I'm sorry, but you especially, who's become *very* emotional over the issue, cannot be expected to only be thinking rationally over this whole issue.
No, we've heard a lot of conflicting things. Mostly about the reason for the replacement (For example: "Their 4Kids contracts won't let them." "We tried, but 4Kids screwed up the negotiations." "We thought you guys wanted this change."), how likely it is that we can get the VAs back ("Depends on how the fan reaction is." "Season nine's a lost cause, but we can totally get them back for season ten." "We're stuck with them. Forever. The contracts are done, with no expiration date, and nothing in this mortal world can end these agreements now."), and to a lesser degree 4Kids' involvement ("They're evil and caused the whole thing because they're upset at losing their series." "It's not them, but their contracts - as long as the VAs are with 4Kids, they can't be with anyone else." "There wasn't any 4Kids involvement at all, this was our mistake, sorry.").

And thank you for insulting my ability to maintain clear thoughts in situations like these. Yes, I do have a tendancy to spaz out at first - but it's been a week, Archaic, and I already got out my emotional reaction to the voice actors, as anyone who visits my LJ can tell you (great thing for incoherent rants, that). I confess entirely that I am wicked stressed out right now by this as well as other things, but I am working my hardest to maintain a cool head online and stay rational about this whole thing. Hence why my course of action has only been decided by three things I am damn sure of: new voices = bad, old voices = good, and Pie will not watch season nine if voices = bad.

Also, for someone who insists on not letting personal feelings influence one's thinking, I notice you left a fairly neutral stance and turned against SOVA considerably after you decided Brock's new voice reminded you more of the Japanese voice and concluded it therefore must be better. And I'm not talking about just arguing against us - it irked me a lot when you said you didn't want a SOVA commercial on the Bulbacast because you wanted to give the impression Bulbagarden is neutral on the issue. It would be one thing if I was saying, "Hey, can we devote this whole Bulbacast to trashing the new voice actors and pimping SOVA like bandits? =D" but I thought asking for one commercial was a reasonable request, you know?

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom