• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Maxim's 100 Questions About HeartGold/SoulSilver

2. What will be done with non-DP Items (Kurt's Balls, Apricorns, Berserk Gene etc.)?
My speculation: I have various ideas to solve this problem. They could make the items which have no purpose when hold simply unholdable. But then, what's with Berserk Gene? Hope they don't discard it. I would like to see it.

Berserk Gene being scrapped felt weird to me too...and with Toxic Orb, Flame Orb, and all that other stuff around, negative effect items aren't all that uncommon anymore. Berserk Gene could be used strategically on a Tangled Feeter or Own Tempoer or god-knows-what. It'll probably be finally laid to rest, however.

4. If I catch a Pokemon in one of Kurt's Pokeballs and send it to DPPt, what will happen?
My speculation: I think that Game Freak should do EVERYTHING to maintain Kurt's Balls. What about changing to a normal Pokeball upon trading?

I felt this way too. But on second thought, I realized it wouldn't matter much. Half of them are experimental or obsolete.

* Moon Ball: Wanna have a 4x chance of catching 4, maybe 5 Pokemon? That's how useless this is.
* Friend Ball: Semi-replaced by the Luxury Ball. Different purpose, same concept.
* Lure Ball: Obsoleted by the Net Ball. Very few non-waters can be fished up; and they don't justify it.
* Fast Ball: Running is only regulated to certain legendaries. I wouldn't have them it strictly for this. Besides, Quick Ball pretty much does this ball's job well.
* Level Ball: Semi-replaced by the Nest Ball. Even though this is actually better than it.
* Love Ball: No definite counterpart. I'm pretty sure there was a bigger catch to this than simply having to be different genders, though.
* Heavy Ball: Now this could be useful. I don't know who screwed with it on Bulbapedia, but this actually gives +xx or -xx values to Pokemon instead of multipliers. It essentially makes it that much more effective on legendaries.

Park Balls may or may not make an appearance. They could simply go in Safari Ball lookalikes, or they could use the Park Ball sprite from DPP (wait, is that even a valid option for a Poke Ball caught in in the data?)

5. What will be done with the Time Machine? Removed? Replaced with something else? Kept and upgraded?
My speculation: They could always change it to something Pal Park-like. But doing that would be DSi-discrimination. So, the chances are that they'll delete it and change Bill into the inventor of the new Wi-Fi System...

Nothing wrong with making more money, though! But you're right - it'll probably be removed, now that it has no real purpose. Or maybe we'll see a new accessory released that lets you link the DS with the GBA directly that allows both systems to use Pal Park (lolno).

15. What will be done with old TMs? A new set of TMs or a group of Move Tutors?
My speculation: The TM sets are a rather generational change than an inter-game thing, so there will probably be DPPt set of TMs in HGSS. Though I personally doubt that all 92 TMs will be obtainable. Just some of them. Also, Flash will probably be buy-able (in addition to being obtained from Sprout Tower Elder). Headbutt should be made a multiple-chance Move Tutor (considering that Headbutt trees are going to be included). Other significant moves from old TM set would be changed into normal Move Tutors.

All 50 TMs from RSE were obtainable in FRLG. Just in different ways. That's more than likely how it will be in HGSS.

16. What will be done with HMs? Whirlpool is needed!
My speculation: In the case of HMs... Well, I think that the useless Defog should be changed into Whirpool. HM08 would not be used at all. And the problem's solved! HM's are untradeable, so there's no problem here.

Why the in the blue HELL is everyone saying Rock Climb can (and some say outright will) just be scrapped? There are two goddamned mountains for god's sake! Waterfall and Rock Smash slipped into FRLG, so it's not too ridiculous to say Rock Climb will be worked in somehow too. Defog...I can see that going. One thing I do agree with is Whirlpool being needed. You can't have the Whirl Islands without them! People saying that an item could be made to clear the Whirlpools are just out of their mind.

18. Will some of Kanto attractions, which were gone in GS, be restored?
My speculation: Oh, this is the object of a heated debate in the fandom. Well, Safari Zone has a fair chance to be re-opened after completing some quest. I also hope that Radio Tower could be reopened at some point of the game, as I would like to see what's inside it (they might put lots of cool things into it) and to make it feel that it was not a rushed replacement of Ghosy Tower... Silph Co. and Pewter Museum have no purpose anymore, so I think not. And last but not least, I hope that Cinnabar is NOT brought back. Pretending that the volcano eruption didn't happen would be just a pointless kick in Pokemon timeline consistency. Also, there is NOTHING on the island that could play any useful role in HGSS (no fossils, no Rockets and Mewtwo). So, getting an island just for the sake of getting an island would be pointless, especially when considering a MAJOR punch in Pokemon plot which it would cause.

What's there to see in the Kanto Radio Tower? Just a bunch of people and machinery, really. As for rushed replacements...Kanto was a rushjob in GSC, end of story.

25. Will Kanto's simplified dungeons be expanded? If yes, strongly?
My speculation: Rock Tunnel doesn't play any role in GSC anymore. It's just a little cute optional dungeon with all the trainers gone and no plot value. It's there mainly because of tradition, so no need to remap it. So is Mt. Moon. Now it's just a place where you battle with Rival and a gate to Mt. Moon Square. Also, no one forces you to enter it. So, would there be a point to remap it and make the access to Mt. Moon Square harder? We don't want dungeons just for the sake of having dungeons. The Kanto cave which I can see remapped is the Victory Road. I just hope they don't do it THAT frustrating as it was in FR/LG... Also, expect Rock Tunnel to be lengthened to its FR/LG size.

Okay...so an empty dungeon that's just there for tradition isn't getting remapped...and now it is? Huh?

Everything in the game from Victory Road on seems rushed. No, the road leading up to it doesn't count as Victory Road - it just plain didn't feel like it. It was like, "oh, there's a bunch of trainers here on this route, and the music makes it seem like a finale...hey, there's the cave, I must be getting close! Wait a minute, this cave is almost completely empty!"

Also, Mt. Moon suddenly having a complete interior design change makes about as much sense as a rubber chicken fighting a portait of John F. Kennedy to the death. And don't even get me started on Seafoam.

31. Will there be an important new character?
My speculation: A new character would always be good. However, I hope that he's not just a new rival (I've got enough of them in Fan Remakes) but something more original. Also, the best place for him would be in Sevii (a new sub-region?).

Hell yeah, have a beer man! Fuck those fan remake new characters.

35. Will Rocket Executives be more distinct in HGSS (given names or at least somewhat distinguished)?
My speculation: I generally think that Rocket plot should be more worked. In GSC, the Rockets haven't shown us anything interesting. All of them were bland characters, even the Executives (we even don't know how many Executives were there). That's why I think the Executives should be given names and made more distinct characters. Also, I hope for Executives artwork!

This too. In fact, why don't any grunt team members have names? Even something like member #187 would be more interesting than just the same generic classification for anyone.

39. What Pokemon will the Johto Pokedex include?
My speculation: I think that the HGSS's Johto Pokedex will not be to different from GSC's one. The numbering and order will be similar. Just some of the Pokemon like Kanto Legendaries (and Kanto Starters possibly too) will possibly be taken out.

What I liked about GSC's Pokedex is that it actually made sense. "National" order makes even less sense than a rubber chicken fighting a portait of John F. Kennedy to the death.

41. Will Generation III (and IV) Pokemon be catchable? If yes, where?
My speculation: In Sevii (or whatever we'll be getting), I believe. There's no place for them in Kanto. Also, since the new Sevii quest will probably take place before Red (Red should be the ultimate challenge after all, otherwise the trainers in Sevii should have 80+ Level Pokemon), so the Route 28 and Mt. Silver could also be a home to Gen. III Pokemon. As for Gen. IV Pokemon... We have DPPt for them. So, I guess only the evolutions will be obtainable.

They'll likely be sprinkled in Kanto sparsely as well.

49. Will Kanto tracks be rather GSC-like or FRLG-like?
My speculation: I hope for GSC-based tracks for Kanto places. I really prefer shortened Kanto Route theme from GSC to its FRLG version. Also, GSC Cerulean has Viridian theme (not its own theme from RGBY) and they SHALL NOT change it! In other words, I want HGSS Kanto themes to be the updated versions of GSC themes, not FRLG ones!

Why shall they not? It just made it even more dumbed down - like...like...like some highly complex object of science that slowly degenerates until everything is the same. I'd love to see a "bad future"-ish Cinnabar Island theme made.

50. Will Sevii Islands make their return in HGSS?
My speculation: Oh yes, I wanted this question to be at a nice number. I already talked about this a lot. Well, as many people, I think that HGSS adventure should not be limited to just Kanto and Johto. This calls for a new sub-region HGSS. "New" means that it wasn't in GSC. Does it mean that it has to be brand new? No!!! I think that the "new" sub-region in HGSS should be Sevii. It's just a perfect candidate for that, since it's a familliar place (which fits the remake idea) which deserves to be visited as well. It probably changed after these three years as well. And maybe, unlike Kanto, the Sevii Archipelago became MORE EXCITING place than it was in FR/LG. This calls for changes! I want to see Sevii after three years, with a brand new adventures and attractions. It's also the perfect place to put all Game Freak's new ideas without touching Johto and Kanto too strongly...

I'd prefer a new subarea. Come on, what's above Route 40-something? We've only gotten Route 1xx and Route 2xx since then. Sevii was cool because it was something new. That's what I'm expecting out of HGSS.

64. Will Elite Four get an upgrade, like in FR/LG?
My speculation: I think it should get one, at some point. I also think that all the members should get full 6 Pokemon teams, with the missing spot to be filled by Hoenn Pokemon. Also, Lance would get rid of two of his Dragonites.

Hell, just upgrade them from the start. I don't care if it's legal now because of the event and if it allowed arguably the most epic moment in an LP ever to happen, Lv50 Dragonite needs to take a hike.

65. Will we get some awesome 3D Magnet Train animated cutscene?
My speculation: Yeah! Seeing how the Train passes various parts of Johto and Kanto would be awesome! I want a totally awesome cutscene here!

What is this, a wishlist? I thought this was a sensible question answering session through logic!

68. Will there be PokeRadar and more swarms?
My speculation: PokeRadar... why not? I don't understand this item fully but... why not? More swarms - yeah! We have phone for that!

Then who was phone?

70. Will the female Rocket Grunt look similar to Cassidy from the anime (as in the original)?
My speculation: I'm hoping for a Cassidy-like Grunt! I loved that design!
Again: wishlist, or educated guessing?

71. Are we getting Cooltrainers or Ace Trainers and Officers or Policemen in the translation?
My speculation: I hate the name "Ace Trainer"! I hope that they'll give us Cooltrainers, as in the original. As for Policemen, I could care less. What about a compromise and calling them Guards? :p

Call them Cops, IMO.

73. How will HGSS affect the anime and the mangas?
My speculation: There will certainly be a new Pokemon Special Saga and some new Pokemon Manga title based on the games entirely (maybe Muneo Saito will realize that he didn't finish Golden Boys? Though it's unlikely...). As for anime, I don't know. Going back to Johto would be nice, as long as they convey the adventures of HGSS, instead of turning it into another fillerose.

Oh, it will happen, and it will be a fillerose.

75. Will there be more gender differences?
My speculation: I personally doubt that Notched-Ear Pichu is a new gender difference. However, it doesn't change the fact that they should give old Pokemon some new gender differences in HGSS.

You're going on about gender differences, and yet, no talk at all about Mantyke possibly having a special new back sprite as told in one of its Pokedex entries?!

77. What will the in-game trades be? Those from GS? Those from Crystal? Or maybe completely new ones?
My speculation: Out of all in-game trades, only the one with Aerodactyl was useful. So, I don't know... What about the Crystal ones?

They were mostly the same in Crystal; just a few changed here and there and some new ones added. The fact that all but the one weren't useful was spoken like a true patriot, though. Actually, the new one in Crystal got you a Metal Coat, so it's not all that bad. And the Machop trade came at just the right time to be useful.

When you look at it though, pretty much all trades have sucked since Gen II.

In RS, you got something you only had to wait a short while for and wouldn't obey until at least around then, something that wasn't too hard to catch and made you give up something fairly rare, and a fairly rare thing (which was okay).

Emerald was a little better - you got two fairly rare things (though one you'll probably find eventually), a somewhat common thing with a rare item, and something easily obtainable in FRLG.

DPP gave you something just like the first trade of RS, except even lamer since you could get it yourself right there, a subpar gimmick Pokemon that's common later, another gimmick, and a kick in the balls (or vagina for the ladies).

So yeah. I hope for a little improvement, but if FRLG is any indication, they won't be. Unless a new Stadium-ish game comes out with Pika Cup. Then things will be interesting (trade a Lv15 Dragonair for a Rhydon and trade the Rhydon with the Protector for Lv15 Rhyperior!). Actually, now that I think about it, that'd kinda be it, really. Maybe low level Rapidash or Magnezone if I'm forgetting something. Still, it's wishful thinking, and a pretty big "what if".

80. Will respective Unowns be given their own artworks?
My speculation: Hope yes. Kenny Sugimori never bothered to draw 'em all.

More wishlisting! Maybe there's a reason he didn't draw them all...?

85. Will some of the Gyms get redesigns?
My speculation: GSC Gyms weren't too puzzling (except Pryce's one) but to be honest, I don't want them to be remapped. But if they do remap them, I just hope they don't re-add that freakin' doorlock to Viridian Gym.

Err...what? It was "there"; you just needed to do a simple plot event.

90. Will the towers look different, or will Tin Tower be merely higher Sprout Tower?
My speculation: I want the towers to look different. Well, Burned Tower will not be problem since it's burnt... But Tin and Sprout Towers should use different tiles, so we could feel the variety between them.

91. Will Burned Tower map be arranged as in GS or as in Crystal?
My speculation: All Crystal's Suicune subplots will likely be omitted, which points to GS's Burned Tower. But who knows? Maybe they'll use the Crystal map but with GS plot?

Again with the not focusing on what really matters! The Ice Cave! I have enough faith in the Burned Tower to know it will look like a burned tower and not like anything else, but the Ice Cave might be one. Will it use C's new tiles, or just use a different palette and the same old cave tileset? (yeah, the tower wasn't burned in GS either, but work with me here!)

93. Will binoculars on the Goldenrod Dept. rooftop have a 3D view?
My speculation: That would be totally awesome! In DPPt we had those awesome binoculars in Vista Lighthouse. The binoculars in Goldenrod scream for the same thing!

Weren't they kind that way in FRLG too; minus the 3D?

94. Will Pink Bow and Polkadot Bow be replaced with Silk Scarf?
My speculation: Huh... Guess yes. That way, they could get rid of a troublesome item by replacing it with same-working one. Though, a part of me wants to see Pink Bow's and Polkadot Bow's sprite...

Polkadot Bow was just a gimmick. We got the plates (also gimmicks) as secondary items.

95. What with the items which could be obtained only by sending a Pokemon through Time Machine? Will they be included (in different place) or not?
My speculation: Well... Those troublesome ones (like Gold and Silver Leaves) could easily be discarded, as they aren't neccessary and don't have any unique qualities (though I wish they would be included in the game's code as unused data, so we can extract their sprites). Also, the trophy-holding Boxes (Normal and Gorgeous Box) which were obtainable by transporting a Pokemon from Stadium 2 would be given with promotional giveaway Pokemon. I want those trophies very much!

The trophies will probably be tied into the Battle Tower if kept.

96. Is Dragon's Den a cave or rather an outdoor place hidden beside a cave (G/S/C tileset was ambiguous)?
My speculation: Huh. The Dragon's Den tileset will certainly clear this up.

What. It was dark inside. How is it not a cave?

98. Will Kanto Routes be re-lengthened to their FR/LG size?
My speculation: I think yes, seeing that the shortening of Kanto routes was merely a way to save rom data. So, I would place my bets on Kanto Routes being expanded as there is no such need anymore.

This would be for the best. And add in that guardhouse that went missing again; that bugged the crap out of me.

99. Will the water inside Cinnabar Volcano be replaced with awesomely-animated lava?
My speculation: Hope yes. I'm hoping for something Platinum-like here (Stark Mountain lava in Platinum was great). Cinnabar is irretrievably gone, so at least they could give us a little eye-candy?

Lava hardens over time. So water did make sense to go there. It's not like Cinnabar was an active volcano at the time.

Back
Top Bottom