• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

May's strongest pokemon?

Mays strongest pokemon?

• Blaziken

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Skitty

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Warturtle

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Beautifly

• Venusar

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Munchlax

• Glaceon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
His Blaziken, as a Torchic, didn't deserve to evolve into Combusken at the first place.

Didn't deserve to evolve, compared to what, most of the other pokemon that evolve in this show with little to no battles?

Anyway I'd say Beautifly was probably the second strongest do its amount of contest techniques and abilities.

Beautifly was the best in first round performences, but Blaziken always pulled through in the end.

So Blaziken gets the win.

But in all honesty, Venusaur might have some new-found power. Afterall, we only saw it as a Bulbasaur.

Other than May's Torchic, none of the main cast's Pokemon evolved like Torchic. All it did was running around. Watch back the episode it evolved, it was a scary kitten. It didn't fight for even itself. It was even worse than evolving with no battle experience. I hated it right after that episode.

You don't seem to remember much about Pokemon evolutions, do you? Brock's Lotad evolved after falling down a well. Pokemon have been shown to spontaneously evolve if they have to defend a certain situation.

I love Blaziken normally. One of the top 3 fully-evolved starter Pokemon imo. But May's one, just good as a Combusken. And remember folks, Combusken evolved into Blaziken just right before the last episode of AG series. It was Torchic for 81 episodes and Combusken for 109 episodes. It didn't prove anything as a Blaziken. I tend to evaluate what we saw on the show. Blaziken and Venusaur didn't do more or better than Beautifly throughout the Advanced Generation series.

Its still the same pokemon however, since Combusken had tons of battles and Blaziken was the same thing only stronger, its only natural to assume so.

His Blaziken, as a Torchic, didn't deserve to evolve into Combusken at the first place.
Torchic never battled much at all outside of a five-second battle against Mudkip iirc, actually kinda reminds me of Axew. Doesn't battle much and is kinda meek in stage one, but kicks ass once stage two comes. Regardless I didn't have a problem with Torchic's evolution, it's perfectly understandable since the writers were focusing on Beautifly and Skitty as May's main Contest stars at the time.

Anyone, the strongest is obviously Blaziken. It's shown to be a competent battler in its own right, strong, capable, and has defeated and gone head to head with several strong Pokemon various times. Even evened out with Ash's Sceptile, who should be a vastly superior battler in theory. It didn't look as strong as Harrison's Blaziken did imo, but it was still a very powerful Pokemon. Probably just didn't look as strong because May's a Coordinator.

As for Ash's Sceptile vs. May's Blaziken; I do not put much weight to their battle against each other. Those battlings are just a show. There is a certain purpose and showing off. Remember we discussed about May being the strongest battler of Ash's friends?

I do not get how is May leading the poll. Remember the episode called ' What Did I for Love '. The episode Brock entered a contest and battled with May in the final. The only reason May won it because she was the co-star of the series. If May battled against someone else like Brock did against her, it would be battle-off in May's favour.
Ash's Sceptile vs. May's Blaziken was a thing like that. The writers of course won't allow a co-star to defeat Ash clearly and vice versa. Dawn's Quilava and Ash's Pikachu battled and is there a doubt about Pikachu being the stronger Pokemon? But they were showed like they were equals. Nothing to surprise about that. Those battles served a purpose, praising both stars and their Pokemon.

Lastly Harrison was the one that made me love Blaziken. After his Blaziken, May's Torchic was a huge expectation for me and also disappointing one.
Once again, I can't argue with that logic. I actually really agree with what you're saying. It was more of a farewell battle anyway and a show, though Blaziken still seemed pretty strong regardless. It did help beat Flygon/Absol, a Venusaur, Grumpig, Flygon, etc. Not a weakling, but the Sceptile VS. Blaziken battle isn't something to account for in strength heavily. I see your views on that notion. It's more of cosmetic-looking strength like Dawn's Mamoswine, which didn't seem very strong at all which is unexpected for such a massive creature. I think Blaziken got more than a fair share of wins to earn the spot as May's top rank fighter.

I definitely think Beautifly is her best appealing Pokemon however.

Lastly Harrison was the one that made me love Blaziken. After his Blaziken, May's Torchic was a huge expectation for me and also disappointing one.

How on earth does this make any sense? You're comparing a Blaziken owned by a experienced trainer to a brand new beginning Torchic at the start of the next saga?

^Pretty sure he was comparing the two in general, not Blaziken vs Torchic.

Anyway, Blaziken or Venusaur.

I also agree with Odinn that its evolution was out of nowhere and forced (not as forced as those that would come later though)

I also agree with Odinn that its evolution was out of nowhere and forced (not as forced as those that would come later though)

How is an evolution forced when it evolved to protect one of its Pokemon friends? Pokemon have been shown to do that many times.

How is an evolution forced when it evolved to protect one of its Pokemon friends? Pokemon have been shown to do that many times.

They could at least have given it more battles, not just slap on an evolution when its convenient for the plot.

They could at least have given it more battles, not just slap on an evolution when its convenient for the plot.

Convenient for the plot? It evolved for the same reason Charmeleon forced itself to evolve to battle Aerodactyl. Pokemon often evolve in often to face a situation or defend a friend...as Corphish was getting beaten up by the Breloom.

Convenient for the plot? It evolved for the same reason Charmeleon forced itself to evolve to battle Aerodactyl. Pokemon often evolve in often to face a situation or defend a friend...as Corphish was getting beaten up by the Breloom.
I'm pretty sure she means that Torchic should have gotten more experience as a Torchic before evolving and going beast mode as a Combusken. Like how Axew should have more battle experience before becoming a Fraxure, it's so the evolution is more realistic and easier to swallow. Yeah, Pokemon do evolve when convenient for the plot, I don't really have a huge problem with it unless it's really really too much.(Roggenrola evoling with little battle experience against Clay's Excadrill.)

I'm pretty sure she means that Torchic should have gotten more experience as a Torchic before evolving and going beast mode as a Combusken. Like how Axew should have more battle experience before becoming a Fraxure, its so the evolution is more realistic and easier to swallow. Yeah, Pokemon do evolve when convenient for the plot, I don't really have a huge problem with it unless it's really really too much.(Roggenrola evoling with little battle experience against Clay's Excadrill.) Though Torchic had been with May for a long while anyway and likely got some training off-screen(There were scenes of it iirc.), Torchic did help with smaller things like helping out against Carvanah, weakening Wurmple, and hitting Team Rocket a few times so it didn't really matter much to me.

I'm pretty sure she means that Torchic should have gotten more experience as a Torchic before evolving and going beast mode as a Combusken. Like how Axew should have more battle experience before becoming a Fraxure, it's so the evolution is more realistic and easier to swallow. Yeah, Pokemon do evolve when convenient for the plot, I don't really have a huge problem with it unless it's really really too much.(Roggenrola evoling with little battle experience against Clay's Excadrill.)

I don't see why it matters, it was nice to see a starter not be portrayed as all-powerful for once.

I don't see why it matters, it was nice to see a starter not be portrayed as all-powerful for once.
It was never a big deal for me to not see a base stage starter not portrayed as much a beast as Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, Charmander, Piplup, etc. So I didn't really care, I actually think more starters should evolve quicker(And with less experience.) as Torchic.

It was never a big deal for me to not see a base stage starter not portrayed as much a beast as Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, Charmander, Piplup, etc. So I didn't really care, I actually think more starters should evolve quicker(And with less experience.) as Torchic.

Indeed. Mudkip hardly battled much either outside of TR blast-offs and it evolved after a training match.

I'm going to go with Blaziken. As a Combusken, it was May's best battler for Contests and it would become stronger with reaching its evolved form. I personally would have preferred Torchic battling a bit more before evolving though. I didn't think that the evolution was forced or cheap, but it could have used a bit more battles and maybe be used in a Contest before evolving. Seeing it start off so weak worked well for May given how she had problems herself when she first became a trainer, so I wouldn't want it super strong, but just a couple of more victories to show how it had improved before it evolved.

Back
Top Bottom