• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misleading Moves

Uh, maybe they needed a damaging Ghost-Type move that wasn't a set damage move?

So why is Night Slash a Dark-Type move? Sounds a little more Ghost-like to me...

Also, why would Heavy Slam be Steel-Type? Should be Normal-Type, honestly.

Uh, maybe they needed a damaging Ghost-Type move that wasn't a set damage move?

So why is Night Slash a Dark-Type move? Sounds a little more Ghost-like to me...

Also, why would Heavy Slam be Steel-Type? Should be Normal-Type, honestly.

Well, Steel types are some of the heaviest Pokemon. Makes sense that they get a STAB move that plays well with their weight.

Night Slash's JP names is "Blade Testing" which means it's like someone who is trying to try out a new weapon, and needs a victim. It seems evil and mean. Dark-type.

^^ it was also used by Samurai on... everyone they wanted, they didn't have a reason to slay them, but they did it JUST to test the way their sword cuts, yep, sounds evil to me.

Dark Type is called Evil Type in the Japanese version too

Leaf Storm. Grass/Water.

If this was used by a Ludicolo, against, say, an Onix, it would deal damage with a 36x multiplier. No, I did not miss out a decimal point.

Also, a Fire/Flying move used by Charizard against Leavanny.

Leaf Storm would be nice as a Grass/Water-type move. And Charizard's attack woud be instant death on Leavanny!!

I don't get why Megahorn is Bug-type. Only one Bug-type can learn it...

Really? Wow, I'm gonna check that right now, lol.

Dunno if its been said, but Tail Whip throws me. It sounds like it should be an offensive move.
Also, Snarl doesnt sound like an offensive move, but neither do most sound-based moves.

ME TOO!!!! I always thought that Tail Whip should be a Normal-type physical attack.

No, 36x with the double STAB. Do the maths!

That thread's been inactive for a while...

Now think. Aurora Beam, which could just as well be a Water- and Ice-type move, against a Walrein with Thick Fat, does 1/16th damage.

On-topic. Haze and Mist seem more like water type moves to me.

Hey Shuckle! Have you checked in with the "if You Invented Your Own Type" thread? There's a comment related to your post there.

These two: I don't understand why Night Shade should be Dark. Or Furry Swipes.

Remember: The Dark type doesn't mean dark energy, but instead it invokes a cheating, or deceptive nature. Dark type moves involve cheating and cheap tactics. Moves like Sucker Punch, Thief, or Fake Tears.

I don't get why Power Whip is Grass. It seems like it could be Normal, but then there is the fact that the description says "The user violently whirls its vines or tentacles to harshly lash the target." but that could mean any body part, like a tail or long arms, so it would make more sense to be just Normal.

Well, that is true about Dark-type moves. However, Dark-type moves represent dirty fighting as well as actual darkness. Thats why we have moves such as Night Daze, Dark Pulse, & Dark Void.

Scalds's Japanese name is 'Boiling Water', that's why it's a Water-type move.

I know this. Before all the new moves were translated in to their English names, "Boiling Water" was one of the moves that caught my attention first. However, I can consider it a Fire-type move as well as a Water-type move. This is because the water is hot.

Curse is Ghost type in Generation V.

FINALLY!!!!! It's about time this happened, lols.

I don't get why Megahorn is Bug-type. Only one Bug-type can learn it...

Why is it Bug-type? Because at the time it came out (G/S/C), it was a signature move for Heracross.

And only one Bug-type can learn it? Say hello to Scolipede and Escavalier, buddy.

I don't get why Fury Cutter is Bug. Not even it's Japanese name makes it sound like it should be a Bug-type move. It sounds like it should just be Normal.

That I'll agree with. They probably wanted a new Bug-type move to be learned by Bugsy's TM, but that's a stretch. Fury Cutter (or, translated from Japanese, Consecutive Cut) really looks Normal-type.

I know this. Before all the new moves were translated in to their English names, "Boiling Water" was one of the moves that caught my attention first. However, I can consider it a Fire-type move as well as a Water-type move. This is because the water is hot.

Exept you can't scald someone with fire, you burn them with fire. Scalding is something you can only do with hot water, not fire. And water doesn't need fire to become hot.

Exept you can't scald someone with fire, you burn them with fire. Scalding is something you can only do with hot water, not fire. And water doesn't need fire to become hot.

Except, you can actually burn someone with water too. What do you think happens when you pour boiling water on your skin? (*You get burned*). Scalding someone is basically burning them. And to be technical, I believe water does need fire in some form to be hot. Whether it's by radiation from the Sun (the Sun is a big burning ball of fire), a natural gas stove (blue flame), or a campfire. Unless you have some sort of chemical that heats up with the presence of water in your kitchen. But that's unlikely...

The point of my comment (as well as the point of this thread) is that while Scald is a Water-type move that uses water, the water is heated and can therefore cause a burn (similar to how fire can burn you). That's why when I heard this move, I didn't know if it was a Water-type or Fire-type move. This thread is for misleading moves that can fit into another type. Not for trying to be overly technical without having a point/opinion...

PS- Do you think Scald can fit into another type besides the Fire-type?

Scald is Boiling Water in Japanese. It's boiling from being heated up, and burns the other Pokemon. Pretty easy to understand.

Except, you can actually burn someone with water too. What do you think happens when you pour boiling water on your skin? (*You get burned*). Scalding someone is basically burning them. And to be technical, I believe water does need fire in some form to be hot. Whether it's by radiation from the Sun (the Sun is a big burning ball of fire), a natural gas stove (blue flame), or a campfire. Unless you have some sort of chemical that heats up with the presence of water in your kitchen. But that's unlikely...

The point of my comment (as well as the point of this thread) is that while Scald is a Water-type move that uses water, the water is heated and can therefore cause a burn (similar to how fire can burn you). That's why when I heard this move, I didn't know if it was a Water-type or Fire-type move. This thread is for misleading moves that can fit into another type. Not for trying to be overly technical without having a point/opinion...

PS- Do you think Scald can fit into another type besides the Fire-type?
But you just answered your question? You burn with the water, you don't burn with the fire that heated it, so how could it cause any confusion?

Water Pokemon don't need a fire burning in them to use it either. All it needs is energy to get the water particles moving, and Pokemon clearly have a lot of energy stored inside them. It's also the heat that causes the fire even though fire itself produces it, and heat itself is just transferred energy

Last edited:
Scald is Boiling Water in Japanese. It's boiling from being heated up, and burns the other Pokemon. Pretty easy to understand.

Yeah, I understand perfectly why it's a Water-type move. However, going with the title & topic of the thread, I consider it as misleading move because it can also fit into the Fire-type category. Yes, it uses water, I can see that. But the sheer fact that is uses heat also can constitute it as a Fire-type move. I'm just saying what other types it can fit in as. Everyone else understood this post perfectly, why is my "Scald" post getting so much attention??

--------------------------

EDIT: And Outrage, I don't think I ever asked a question. I just said that in my opinion, Scald can also fit into the Fire-type category simply because it uses hot water. Heat Wave, which uses heat, doesn't directly use Fire. But what type of move is it? What is so confusing about my post???

PS- If you want to comment in this thread, can you at least contribute an idea related to the topic? Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah, I understand perfectly why it's a Water-type move. However, going with the title & topic of the thread, I consider it as misleading move because it can also fit into the Fire-type category. Yes, it uses water, I can see that. I'm just saying what other types it can fit in as. Everyone else understood this post perfectly, why is my "Scald" post getting so much attention??
Because you're burning with water, not fire, hence not fire move.

The only reason the majority of people think scald is a fire type move is because it can burn, its almost as bad as thinking anything that paralyzes should be electric just because of the elemental connections those status conditions have. A burn itself need not be caused by fire.
EDIT: And Outrage, I don't think I ever asked a question. I just said that in my opinion, Scald can also fit into the Fire-type category simply because it uses hot water. What is so confusing about my post???
Because it uses hot water, not fire. What is so hard about that, I've already pointed out all water needs to be hot is a transfer of energy, which Pokemon have in spades.

Fire itself isn't the only cause of heat. So you had a misconception, I cleared it up... like approximately half the posts on this thread.

PS- If you want to comment in this thread, can you at least contribute an idea related to the topic? Thanks
Last I checked, responding to on-topic-posts is on topic and many people have been posting in this thread to clear up misconceptions. That's what I'm doing. Your post is no different from any other post that was being cleared up, so please don't act like you rule this thread.

As far as I can tell, explaining the misconception is perfectly on topic, if you have a problem with that, you can report my post.

Last edited:
Okay, well, why is Wide Guard a Rock type move? Only three Rock-types can have it. It seems like it should be Fighting.

Well, Outrage, if you really want to be technical, saying that all paralyzing moves should be Electric-type doesn't work either (even as an example). Keep looking on Wikipedia, and I'm sure you'll see that paralysis doesn't have to be caused by electricity.

And thanks Stephen for at least moving on & contributing new ideas of your own, I agree on the Wide Guard comment.

Well, Outrage, if you really want to be technical, saying that all paralyzing moves should be Electric-type doesn't work either (even as an example). Keep looking on Wikipedia, and I'm sure you'll see that paralysis doesn't have to be caused by electricity.

._.

Response to that can be seen on a prior post:

The only reason the majority of people think scald is a fire type move is because it can burn, its almost as bad as thinking anything that paralyzes should be electric just because of the elemental connections those status conditions have. A burn itself need not be caused by fire.

So I didn't really say that did I, in fact, I said the exact opposite. If you weren't responding to that comment, then I honestly don't understand why that itself was brought up considering nothing was said to bring up that point and was basically just restating what had been said previously (which is ironic considering its coming from the guy making accusations of people derailing threads with not-on-topic posts)

^^Ohhhh, then yeah that doesn't make sense lol. Can it at least be related to how Monarch Butterflies migrate? I saw a documentary about them in 6th grade, lols.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom