• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misleading Moves

PLease no dual-type moves; I don't want more work in making competitive teams ^_^;

I never quite got why Sunny Day doesn't power up Grass Types (If that belongs here)

Why isn't Splash Water-type? Also, Steel Wing should totally be Flying/Steel. Other combinations that will result in this: Muddy Water (Water/Ground) against a Magcargo. uhh... any others? I know there are type rectangles all over the place, but I don't know whether there are any Pokémon with the respective types.
Well, a Ground/Fighting type move (fe: Ground Smash?) could have the same effect on Rock/Steel types. Anyways, dual type moves sound nice in theory, but in practice they could be overpowered disasters against certain Pokemon.

Leaf Storm. Grass/Water.

If this was used by a Ludicolo, against, say, an Onix, it would deal damage with a 36x multiplier. No, I did not miss out a decimal point.

Also, a Fire/Flying move used by Charizard against Leavanny.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose if you get dual type moves, then maybe we need three-type pokemon.

On topic: Signal beam seems Electric to me, not Bug. Kept getting that one confused.

Dunno if its been said, but Tail Whip throws me. It sounds like it should be an offensive move.
Also, Snarl doesnt sound like an offensive move, but neither do most sound-based moves.

Actually, there's a huge flaw with dual-typed moves. Say we have a Pokemon, say, Parasect. And there's a new move- Sky Blaze or something (I'm terrible at making up move names), which is an offensive Flying/Fire-type move. So this Pokemon uses Sky Blaze on Parasect. Since Fire and Flying both deal 4x damage on Parasect, you must calculate 4x4, or 4 squared (no, you don't just do 4x2) which is a whopping x16. And if the poor Parasect has Dry Skin, that already-astronomical multiplier jacks up to x20! And the little zombie bug will never see daylight again. No strategy, period, could help it defend against Sky Blaze. You can see why this is a bad idea, amirite?

Anyways, back on topic. That belongs in another thread. I agree with you on most counts. Strength should be Fighting-type, Razor Wind should become Flying-type, etc.

I agree, it would be a silly idea.

Thunder Fang on an Xatu?

Poor thing gets enough damage from the move as it is, but make Thunder Fang part Dark? Cripes.

Kinda stepping on Thunder Lords point lol, sorry :)

Disable being normal. It should be psy, not that it would matter game-wise.
Growth is also normal, should be grass.
Focus Energy could be fight or even psy, not that I care much.
Scary Face should be dark.
Foresight, how is it not psy?
Perish Song should be ghost/dark IMO.
Mean Look, it has mean in it's name, make it dark ffs.
Sweet Scent should be grass.
Psych Up should be psy. If you look at the name it starts with Psych...

As someone else said, Razor Wind. Why is it Normal?

Leaf Storm. Grass/Water.

If this was used by a Ludicolo, against, say, an Onix, it would deal damage with a 36x multiplier. No, I did not miss out a decimal point.

Also, a Fire/Flying move used by Charizard against Leavanny.

You sure? It would probably only be 16x IMO. Anyway, yeah, that was the point of my anti-Dual-type move rant.

Why isn't Splash Water-type?

Because in Japanese, Splash is Hop (it was translated to Splash because at the time, it was Magikarp's signature move). Which is also why Buneary can learn it.

Super/Hyper Fang should be Dark, in my opinion. Also, Comet Punch, Swords Dance & Dizzy Punch need to be Fighting, and Rock Climb needs to be...Rock-type.

--------

This is about moves with misleading names. The place to discuss dual-type moves is found here.

Night Shade is a Ghost-move type, but it seems more Dark than Ghost to me.

Fury Swipes seems Dark rather than Normal.

Dream Eater seems like it should be Psychic/Ghost. I mean, ghosts give you nightmares, right?

In Japanese, Psych Up is 'Self-suggest' so that does seem more Normal. After all, they can change the names but they can't change the types. Now if they did, that would be trouble.

You sure? It would probably only be 16x IMO. Anyway, yeah, that was the point of my anti-Dual-type move rant.

No, 36x with the double STAB. Do the maths!

This is about moves with misleading names. The place to discuss dual-type moves is found here.

That thread's been inactive for a while...

Now think. Aurora Beam, which could just as well be a Water- and Ice-type move, against a Walrein with Thick Fat, does 1/16th damage.

On-topic. Haze and Mist seem more like water type moves to me.

Last edited:
Why is Cut Normal? I think I've mistaken it for Grass at times. And why is Pain Split Normal? It seems Ghost to me.

For some reason I always though Cut should be Flying. Or Steel, as in like scissors.

Night Shade is a Ghost-move type, but it seems more Dark than Ghost to me.

Fury Swipes seems Dark rather than Normal.

These two: I don't understand why Night Shade should be Dark. Or Furry Swipes.

Remember: The Dark type doesn't mean dark energy, but instead it invokes a cheating, or deceptive nature. Dark type moves involve cheating and cheap tactics. Moves like Sucker Punch, Thief, or Fake Tears.

I don't get why Power Whip is Grass. It seems like it could be Normal, but then there is the fact that the description says "The user violently whirls its vines or tentacles to harshly lash the target." but that could mean any body part, like a tail or long arms, so it would make more sense to be just Normal.

^^^Awww, you don't have ANY opinions that hasn't been mentioned? :-(

I never noticed that about Faint Attack, but I can see that lols

Interesting point on the fang attacks, I can somewhat understand/agree with that. I really agree with Scald being Fire-type. And it would be nice to see some dual type moves, but it might make matchups really complicated, as it was previously mentioned.

Scalds's Japanese name is 'Boiling Water', that's why it's a Water-type move.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom