• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty making a return?

They are advertising Dawn's return but no word on Misty. Hmm, so what does that tell you?
They're saving the best for last obviously!

No but seriously. If they were to bring her back, the little kids would wonder who she is and what her history is, which would lead to confusion. The writers don't want anyone to remember her because they don't have the time or need to focus on someone from that long ago. Bringing back Dawn makes total sense because she just left the show - it's a treat for the current audience like how Misty in Hoenn was a treat for us now oldtimers. We probably won't ever see Dawn again after Unova unless they continue to bring her back like Cynthia.

Those little kids would know the anime character from various reruns, and the game character from HGSS and now B2W2.

It boils down to whether or not any gym leaders will participate in the tournament. The argument that using certain gym leaders would mean having to use all of them doesn't work because even in the games some of the leaders will be present by default and others will be added via events later.

Those little kids would know the anime character from various reruns, and the game character from HGSS and now B2W2.
I doubt most of the show's audience watches Pokemon Smash or any of the reruns it shows. I also doubt anything from Kanto or Johto are readily available on DVD to the point where a 10 year old child can go watch the first few seasons and learn about Misty. Pokemon is a transient show, meant only for the here and now, and not for people to watch long-term. That's why they can get away with recycling so much all the time since the audience is constantly replaced. And just because kids know Misty from the games (and we only really see her in her Gym early in the game, and maybe once again if we rebattle her) doesn't mean they know Misty from the show and her relation to Ash / history with Ash.

I doubt most of the show's audience watches Pokemon Smash or any of the reruns it shows. I also doubt anything from Kanto or Johto are readily available on DVD to the point where a 10 year old child can go watch the first few seasons and learn about Misty. Pokemon is a transient show, meant only for the here and now, and not for people to watch long-term. That's why they can get away with recycling so much all the time since the audience is constantly replaced. And just because kids know Misty from the games (and we only really see her in her Gym early in the game, and maybe once again if we rebattle her) doesn't mean they know Misty from the show and her relation to Ash / history with Ash.

Does it really matter if they don't know about her? they'll find out sooner or later, 12 year olds know she is, so. I dont think all of today's kids aren't aware of Misty. Thanks to reruns of older seasons, DVDS, the internet or older relatives you can't possibly think that those little kids don't know about Misty. And now her being in the BW2 games.

At the moment we're not too sure about how the anime is going to handle the tournament, and considering that CoroCoro only mentioned the Elite Four and Champions, we're not sure about whether or not gym leaders will appear. If they do, however, I feel it would be the perfect chance to bring Misty and possibly Brock (even though he technically isn't a gym leader anymore) back for a few episodes to remind us of the original trio.

No but seriously. If they were to bring her back, the little kids would wonder who she is and what her history is, which would lead to confusion. The writers don't want anyone to remember her because they don't have the time or need to focus on someone from that long ago. Bringing back Dawn makes total sense because she just left the show - it's a treat for the current audience like how Misty in Hoenn was a treat for us now oldtimers. We probably won't ever see Dawn again after Unova unless they continue to bring her back like Cynthia.

Well considering you asked that anime storyboard director like 5 times about Misty in your interview from 2008, I'd say you were interested.

But overall, you're probably right. Its exactly why Misty didn't appear in the DP series at all despite it going on for 4 years. There are now 10 years worth of fans who grew up watching the anime well after Misty was already gone. I'd wager to say even May's character is now practically unknown to younger fans too.

Hmm. As far as I can see, that will be a 0.05 - 10% chance of happening. Damn lucky.

But kids know her from the games (HeartGold, SoulSilver) and she'll make another appearence in B2 and W2.

So, if she is seen quite a bit in the games but neglected in the anime after Johto, this will affect the anime in NO ways.

Small, but I guess it depends on what this World Tournament thing is about. If it involves Gym Leaders, then maybe.

If she did that would be AMAZING, being interested in how much things have changed with original female. I mean we haven't seen her for very long time(since 2005 to 2006 to be more precise).

Since she appears in BW 2 games, Misty could have shot coming back and play important role as well since she is currently gym leader and is popular and iconic enough to warrant writers including her in anime again to bring boost to ratings and help advertize BW2. Not to mention writers left unfinished job about character and story, and update and more development wold be surely welcomed to get. In reality now is perfect opportunity to bring Misty and make her important again, because world tournament would not only b helpful to her story helping her to advance goal of water master, but it would also give writers on disposal all time favorite and iconic girl which could have been used to help promote new games.

Its wishful thinking, but i think if any saga was suitable for Misty return to cast this would be one of them because in that case with surprise return she wouldn't only bring unexpected twist to current series, but would also gain bigger marketing value to play in filler arc as well. She has quite a few things in common with Iris as well sharing passion for various hobbies like Cilan(fishing being one of them) so it would be fun to see how would Bw cast function with her . Giving character update and more development now that she is stronger taking her dream of becoming best water trainer in new directions wold be great to see as well.

Misty always wanted to become something more than gym leader, so leaving position to advance skills as trainer and become stronger like Wallace and other gym leaders which go on journey to learn new things would male lot of sense. And world tournament is perfect ticket to warrant her return.

Possibility of world tournament isn't so unlikely to happen when you think about it. There doesn't exist enough new gym leaders in filler arc after Unova and since there doesn't exist alternate quest Ash could compete in like it was case with first Battle Frontier, writers will have to look for something else to fill up filler saga.

And older gym leaders, E4 members etc returning in games for special tournament hosted by Cynthi could reflect on anime, with filler saga consisting of several arcs for which Ash older friends return.

IF she did appear, and that a big if...I'd like to see her donning her HGSS appearance for one. They've shown May in her Emerald Outfit, and Dawn in her Platinum. So I think it's time it made an appearance in the anime.

Other than that though, I don't see what she could really contribute in her appearance. I could see her getting along with Cilan, and ganging up on Ash with Iris. I suppose she could also show off a new Pokemon or two, but eh.

Same Dawn would contribute, and i reckon purpose would be:
Getting update on Misty character and what happened with her in meantime, receiving some development herself.
-To bring some humor and fresh character interaction within cast attracting more of older fans toward show. Going by past and Misty or May cameos in AG and DP they were one of highest TV rated episodes.

Its always nice and welcome when older character returns to see how he would interact with new characters and what kind of dynamic that would bring while possibly influencing other character story(like May did helping Dawn to get over self esteem issues).
It also imbues show with more continuity serving as nice twist and throwback to past.

To help promote BW 2 , since she matters to games again.
And to tie up unfinished things in story, having in reality room to be done much more. She didn't accomplished her water master dream, didn't came to fruition how to achieve dreams with writers putting her in catch 22 situation, leaving several things unanswered about character and its future.
Playing part in champion tournament seems like good step forward.

Besides if pokemon is still show about Ash journey being one big continuity it only makes sense to acknowledge past traveling companions existence and impact they left on main protagonist being important part of his life helping him to grow as trainer and contributing to anime popularity.

I don't think it's likely. They would have to bring back Brock, Gary, Volkner, etc. too and it doesn't seem feasible.

They don't need to include all gym leaders to advertize new games. Out of all past gym leaders, biggest chances would have those which were main characters in anime being much more important to series overall like Misty and Brock.

They're saving the best for last obviously!

From your mouth to writers ears(hopefully).

No but seriously. If they were to bring her back, the little kids would wonder who she is and what her history is, which would lead to confusion. The writers don't want anyone to remember her because they don't have the time or need to focus on someone from that long ago.

I don't think that's really problem. Most kids had no idea who Gary, Jessibelle, Butch and Cassidy etc were when coming back to DP series after years of absence and writers had no problems in reintroducing them and explaining to new viewers who they were.
Im fairly certain good portion of today kids heard about Misty in one way or another.Several TV stations were or are airing reruns of older series giving to new generations opportunity to get know past companions.There is also internet,DVDs,older relatives from who they might heard of them,etc.Even if they don't know her it doesn't play much difference, because they would view past companion as basically new character accepting it .

If writers really want everyone to forget her they wouldn't provide references to Misty character though,by having her appear in DP "High Touch Opening",bring that lure of hers in Buizel episode along with being showed on picture in Brock special.

This was their way of letting audience know how character hasn't been completely forgotten and while unfortunately Misty still didn't returned in person for unusually long period of time, we don't know if writers have any plans to return her at some point.
Perhaps they are waiting for right moment,and i have hard time believing they will erase her completely from existence like she never mattered.That would be just wrong and disrespectful both toward character and fans.

I don't think the writers care wheather the kids remember a character, a certain insane fiacee of James's comes to mind

I don't think the writers care wheather the kids remember a character, a certain insane fiacee of James's comes to mind

True but that said character is essentially Jessie with a different backstory.

The only time an old character returned was Gary, but even then he still appeared a bit in AG do he was never truly gone entirely.

Hey, lets not forget that they show episodes from every saga on Pokemon.com. For free. No tv time slot required. Clearly nobody in the history of the show is being forgotten.

It's officially been 10 years since Misty left the anime. She's been gone from the show the longest compared to anyone but the short lived Tracey. That means 10 years worth of new kids grew up watching the anime after she was already gone, and the older fans who stuck around for AG and DP like many here have moved on.

It's officially been 10 years since Misty left the anime. She's been gone from the show the longest compared to anyone but the short lived Tracey. That means 10 years worth of new kids grew up watching the anime after she was already gone, and the older fans who stuck around for AG and DP like many here have moved on.

Last time i checked Misty was present within anime in Hoenn just like Gary was with writers except having her appear doing several references to character. Like when she watched Ash competing in Hoenn league, sending him lure before facing Brandon in BF, appearing in BF opening etc. So kids which started from Hoenn knew very well who Misty was, and judging by several of younger fans between 10 and 16(easy to check on forums)liking Misty and wanting to see her again, is pretty good evidence how growing up with new regions doesn't mean fans wont watch original series as well to see how things started.

Misty has advantage to her of being original and first girl making part of most iconic group this show had. That alone guarantees she will never be forgotten, and judging by high demand which can be noticed online shows how despite long absence character still has surprisingly big following.

True but that said character is essentially Jessie with a different backstory.

What... Jessiebelle is Jessiebelle, and she IS a Season 1 character that returned in Season 12 no matter how you'd look at it (+the appearance of James' parents too in addition to her...)

The only time an old character returned was Gary, but even then he still appeared a bit in AG do he was never truly gone entirely.

Gary left at the end of Johto and then didn't appear for like all of AG except for one Chronicles ep and one short flashback in a Hoenn ep... then randomly returned at the very end of AG and continued into DP
So I'd count that... but a better example may be Jasmine - a Season 4-5 character that returned in Season 13 - if a random Gym Leader like she is can do it, then Misty surely can... not that I actually think Misty will appear, but it IS possible...

I find Brock more likely to return... but only due to him being a recent series main character like Dawn, and not due to the Gym Leaders thing which is unlikely to carry into the anime anyway

Heck, there are times I wonder if she was supposed to appear in DP thanks to her cameo in Opening 12 and her Japanese VA hinting at a return :-/

Heck, there are times I wonder if she was supposed to appear in DP thanks to her cameo in Opening 12 and her Japanese VA hinting at a return :-/

Her VA hosted two 10th anniversary clip shows in Japan. People who were uninformed thought she meant an episode appearance. Misty was never intended to appear in DP.

Assuming that the "world tournament" in the BW2 anime will include the Gym Leaders from other regions, I don't see any reason why Misty shouldn't appear. Of course, this is just mere speculation. I'll agree with some of the others here that Misty probably won't appear in the anime unless the other gym leaders will as well.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom