• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Disappointing Evolution?

Tsareena

Queenly Majesty
Reaction score
Are there any evolutions for Pokemon that you were disappointed with, or just really dislike? Maybe you were expecting something completely different? Or do you have any Pokemon that you prefer to leave unevolved?
What and why?

Personally, I love Klingklang and Aromatisse in their own ways, but I was really underwhelmed when my Pokemon finally evolved into them- I was expecting more out of their designs. Also, I'm a fan of Dragonite, but I prefer Dragonair and usually leave mine unevolved unless I'm completing the dex.

I'm curious to know your thoughts.

Magmortar - Electivire was such an awesome upgrade to Electabuzz and Magmar looked even cooler than Electabuzz, but Magmortar could have looked way better.
Rhyperior - Like Magmortar, I don't hate it, I just think it looks a lot worse than it's prevolution. Also I think it's unnecessary considering Rhydon is fine by itself.
Heliolisk - Not bad but could have looked a lot better.
Delphox - I still like Delphox but I would have preferred it to remain quadrupedal.

Dragonite always disappointed me a while back, yeah, though now I've become used to it, so... not so much anymore.
Gourgeist does leave me a bit disappointed, because I had very high hopes for Pumpkaboo.
Lickilicky is Lickilicky. I'm going to force myself to train one so I can maybe hate it less, but... ugh.

Sliggoo

It's ugly as hell, with the squishy snail house on its back. Yuck

And Goomy is so cool! I had such high hopes for it... ;-;

Delphox rather disappointed me, especially once I realized Fennekin could've easily been a Fire/Dark.
Dragonite...I dislike him, looking like a Puff the Magic Dragon lookalike.

Goodra O_______O My awesoume snail thing became a weird huggy dino dragon. I kind of saw it coming, I thought "It's a dragon type; eventually it will become a dragon" but I held out that it would retain a snail-like form... no such luck -_- I deposited my goodra as soon as it evolved. I actually like goodra too, it's just nothing compared to the awesomeness of Sliggoo.
Spritzee and Swirlix are pretty cool, Aromatisse and Slurpuff are absolutely horrible.
Scyther is cooler than scizor, not that scizor is bad.
Surskit >>>>>> Masquerain. Though again, masquerain isn't bad.
Slakoth is so much cooler than it's pre evolutions.
Fenniken was ok, if they had gone a sort of "ninetales" route, it could have been good. Instead they created delphox...

Dugtrio, Magneton, Weezing, Klang/Klinklang, Vanilluxe, and Doublade, simply because they're just multiple of its pre-evolved form merged together.

Electrode and Muk are also pretty bad, considering the former is just an upside-down Voltorb and the latter just being bigger than Grimer.

Last edited:
Rhyperior, it's fugly. Rhyhorn and Rhydon look fine, I don't know how they managed to screw up so much.

Fenniken was ok, if they had gone a sort of "ninetales" route, it could have been good. Instead they created delphox...

Sorry, but I'd rather have a fox witch than a Ninetales clone.
That's fine, personally I don't like things humanoid or occult based, so I don't like delphox (it's my least favorite pokemon) but whatever floats your boat :>

Goodra and Dragonite look like if Puff the Magic Dragon and Barney the Dinosaur had their DNA spliced (not to mention the latter doesn't look a thing like Dragonair). I agree with all that Anemoi brought up. Lickilicky... somehow reminds me of Casper the Friendly Ghost. Magmortar would be bad@ss had it not been for the ridiculous duckface. And Ambipom... SWEET ARCEUS, AMBIPOM.

Politoed, poliwrath normal evo's a super on-steroids angry baddass fighter, the oher evo's a.. little green toad who has nothing to do with it's pre evo.
Dragonite, this too has nothing to do with it's preevo, he's a blue snake-ish elegant dragon and suddenly becomes.. Dragonite.
Purugly, glameow is an elegant slender kitten and out of nowhere it becomes super fat.
Tangrowth, some may complain at magmortar and rhyperior, but they look cool nontheless. Tangrowth it's just a overgrowth version of tangela with arms (no wonder it tanGROWTH). And don't let me start with lickilicky, simply not.
Sliggoo and Googra, man goomy was so cool! I wasn't expecting it to become the slimy version of haxorus, but that..

Politoed, poliwrath normal evo's a super on-steroids angry baddass fighter, the oher evo's a.. little green toad who has nothing to do with it's pre evo.
And the curl on the top of its head to top it all off... See, this is why nobody invites you to parties, Politoed.

Rhyperior, it's fugly. Rhyhorn and Rhydon look fine, I don't know how they managed to screw up so much.

Mmmm, very much agree with you there. Rhyhorn and Rhydon are nice designs, but I very much dislike Rhyperior. A pre-evolution may have been better, paralleling them to the Aron line.

Braixen most definitely, I feel like it should have been quadruped rather than biped since I feel like they just made Braixen biped to appeal to the Lucario/Zoroark fanboys and nothing more. Fennekin and Delphox are fine with me, and Delphox can stay biped, but Braixen I feel would just look better to me if it was on all-fours. Other than that, I like Delphox the way it is, and it's definitely something different other than making it a blatant Ninetales clone, like Master Weasel said above:

Sorry, but I'd rather have a fox witch than a Ninetales clone.
And honestly, I wouldn't choose Fennekin at all if it became a kitsune, but Braixen is still my least favorite of that evolution line regardless.

Also, I really don't like any of the evolutions that just add more than one head, namely Dugtrio, Dodrio, Magneton, Weezing, Vaniluxe, and Klang/Klinklang; the only exception to this is Zweilous/Hydreigon because a hydra Pokemon was overdue.

Finnaly are Tangrowth and Lickilicky, especially the latter which has to be the ugliest evolution ever.

Last edited:
Diggersby... oh Diggersby.

Yes, let's create an adorable bunny pokemon that all the kids will catch and start training on the first route and then have it evolve into an abomination that makes little girls and grown men cry.

Politoed and Dragonite, mainly because their designs are radically different than their previous forms.

Honestly, pretty much all of the Pokémon that I've watched evolve had me disappointed.

They were all so cute, but then what happens? Like, there it goes... It'll never be the same again.

Really though, the most disappointing for me was when my Fennekin evolved. I mean, Braixen wasn't all that bad; it was still pretty cute, but when Delphox came around, that's when I got really depressed. Also, my Darumaka. That was a horrid experience as well.

However, I can say that I've learned not to get any high hopes as I watch my Pokémon evolve.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom