• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Who is your favourite pony?

• Twilight Sparkle

Votes: 42 14.0%
  • Rainbow Dash

Votes: 78 25.9%
  • Pinkie Pie

Votes: 46 15.3%
  • Rarity

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • Applejack

Votes: 16 5.3%
  • Fluttershy

Votes: 80 26.6%

• Total voters
In the past we've seen things like Spike not being at Twilight's birthday and having to "photo-shop" a photo of himself in a group pic.

At best, he could've been doing something important but a statement in that episode would've helped.

Even in Crystal Empire the only real recognition Spike got was his window, which is from Celestia. Instead everyone sings for Twilight. "Since when does Twilight Sparkle ever fail?" If it weren't for Spike she'd still be at the bottom of Sombra's staircase or in his cage.

If you wish to stretch it, you could say it was meant to show how Twilight's paranoia over how she'd ace the test at the beginning have been proven to be just that: paranoia.

Little things like this build up over time so in this episode the issue appears twice. Once Spike is clearly bitter that he is left behind, even though he played a huge role in saving the Crystal Empire, and Fluttershy is too busy trying to get him to babysit to comfort him. On the train ride RD even bluntly states Spike would have enjoyed himself. It may not be blatant abuse Spike receives but he is ignored and only remembered when useful, and this episode implies that attitude extends to Cadence.

Sadly, it's pretty much Unfortunate Implications.

While I disagree with your claims regarding the Mane Six, I will admit how Spike not being able to go is weird. But considering how the Mane Six are barely recognized for defeating evil in the name of the moon, it shouldn't come as a huge shocker. Seems that in Equestria, defeating evil isn't a huge deal. Maybe others do it so it's nothing special there.

Last edited:
Should've said this long before, but +1 for Sherclop on yet another correct guess. Shame they got Littlekuriboh'd.
But seriously, there's got to be a twist somewhere. Hasbro just continues to hype the freaking hell out of
Princess Sparkle (Celestia2)

Let's say for example: choosing between her new kingdom and wings or her old friends. (Knowing this show, she'll win everything regardless.)
Or just finding the royal life too much to handle, even for her intelligence.

Whatever.
Whoever wrote Just for Sidekicks should do his own show. Xyr characterization is great, and the lines were delivered surprisingly well.
Of course, the Crusaders are never not cute, so it was a given for them.

Regarding the recent news,
I am cautiously optimistic about the apparent confirmation that Twilight will become an alicorn. It seems like a really cool idea (if not already played out by TONS of fanfics), and if they do it right, I think this could work. Seeing the job that they've done at Studio B with the rest of the series, I believe they can pull it off. I mean, they got me to become a fan of a show about magical ponies, so they're obviously fairly good at what they do. :D

My thoughts on "Alicorn Twilight?
I honestly don't see what's the big problem with it all the fandom been's freaking out over it, but I don't see what's the big deal is. I trust the writer are gonna do something good with this and I think the episode will end up being interesting.Studio B hasn't let us down so far. I also feel like the whole princess thing is just gonna be temporarily and I trust the writers to make a good story. So I say wait to see what happens and not panic before you judge. I think it will be an interesting episode.

My response to the Princess Twilight Sparkle issue (because everyone's doing it now):
Is it THAT bad, really? This is what I think the writers were aiming for, so it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's a sign of her character growth, a mark of a paragon, a role-model in Equestria. Another that embodies the virtues of friendship. And it isn't the end of the series, for one thing, they've already confirmed a Season 4, another thing is that being a princess now gives Twilight more challenges to face.

The journey always continues, the Mane 6 could proceed to help others and learn even more in the process, that's what I believe.

My thoughts.
I saw a pic of Alicorn Twilight on Facebook that looked legit. But I wasn't sure, so I came here. Looks like it is. I suspected she would eventually become one too, but I feel it's a little too soon for that. I mean, this is only season 3 of the show. It wouldn't be unreasonable for it to run for ten seasons or maybe more. I'd want Twilight to remain a regular unicorn for the majority of the show.

My issue with Alicorn Twilight is simply that it means that her role in the story is now on the decline. Granted, it's been on the decline since Season 2. The show seems to set princesses above the others in an overly aloof way. It might not be the end of the show, but it does look like the bulk of Twilight's part in it will be over. Becoming a princess/alicorn means she's reached her peak. She's no longer a student of magic. She's an archmage, essentially.

I'm not exactly Twi's biggest fan, but I think it's going to be an exciting change. One of my favourite aspects of this show is, unlike many other western animations, it does have many continuity references and changes, though most so far have been fairly minor. It's great to finally see a character's story developing for once.

I wonder if it will cause the other ponies to get jealous and create friendship problems? I could certainly see Rarity becoming envious. (Though I would've hoped she learnt her lesson about envy in Green Isn't your Color, but some character flaws don't disappear so easily)

In regards to the Recent news

I'm not really a twlight fan,thats the pony and the book, but I must say I'm not that happy. That being said It's not like I'm freaking out about it. also, Like Boufallant Herdier, I'm more Interested in how the other ponys are going to react to it.

Last edited:
I think this episode and the previous would have been better aired in reverse order. To connect the dots backwards:

Games Ponies Play:
- Why did Spike care more about cake? What was the cup for?
- A gem knocks over luggage, causing a distraction. This seems like even more of a BLAM than the cake.
- Episode ends with Spike, the pets, and the CMC hiding on the train. If we didn't know better (and if this wasn't MLP where happy endings are law), we'd be led to believe something went horribly wrong.

Just for Sidekicks:
- The first two points are explained, which is good.
- We're told everything turned out OK at the end, and we now know why from the other one. But since this episode aired first, it created a foregone conclusion.

Also, with 26 more episodes in development, I'm now totally convinced Princess Sparkle isn't here to stay. So I'll just roll with it.

Thoughts of Games Ponies Play.

Was it just my imagination, or was the voice acting really off in a few parts?

Well, Season 3 episodes seem to be either really good or pretty average, and I'm afraid this episode was more of the latter. It's been a few hours since I watched it, and I already can't remember many moments from it, other than that the fake inspector got on my nerves. Oh well, guess it was always going to get overshadowed by next week's episode. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Thoughts on Games Ponies Play.

Sadly, my least favorite episode of Season 3.

The thing with the fake inspector got annoying fast and was done to death before, and the episode should've been aired last week, not "Just For Sidekicks", so we can get clearer foreshadowing.

We're told everything turned out OK at the end, and we now know why from the other one. But since this episode aired first, it created a foregone conclusion.

Isn't it always a foregone conclusion, in a show of this nature, that everything will turn out okay in the end?

No explanation as to why Spike was snubbed, though if it's any consolation to him, his episode was definitely the superior of the two. It wasn't that this one was terrible, just not very interesting. The "sucking up to an odious stranger on account of mistaken identity" thing is an old, old comedic plot device which dates at least as far back as Nikolai Gogol's The Government Inspector, and I bet that there are even older examples out there. :p

Last edited:
I was a step ahead when I said "and if this wasn't MLP where happy endings are law"

That said, I like it better when they earn it, like Discord's first appearance, rather than when it just happens, like in his second when he sort of just beat himself.

And since the episode wasn't about the horse olympics themselves, I'm calling it as season four's opening two-parter with another millennium-old menace (It's always "1000 years ago")

I was a step ahead when I said "and if this wasn't MLP where happy endings are law"

That said, I like it better when they earn it, like Discord's first appearance, rather than when it just happens, like in his second when he sort of just beat himself.

And since the episode wasn't about the horse olympics themselves, I'm calling it as season four's opening two-parter with another millennium-old menace (It's always "1000 years ago")

"The Equestria Games were first founded over 1000 years ago, in order to celebrate the defeat of both the dreaded King Sombra and of Discord, Ruler of Chaos, whose reigns prevented Equestria from uniting in harmony as it had before. Unfortunately, without the advent of modern lighting, the Games could only be held in the daytime, making Princess Luna feel unwelcome and unappreciated. Having long been shunned by pony society, the Equestria Games pushed her over the brink, causing her jealousy to consume her and becoming Nightmare Moon."

And that's how Equestria was made!

I have been a brony since August 2011, and it's reflected in my username. Cadance and Shining Armor are so cute together. And I cannot wait until tomorrow either.

I don't think it's that big of a deal considering it's only a spin-off. What would piss me off is if that took the place of the actual show.
I know, I know, but I'm afraid if it degerates the QUALITY of Friendship is Magic.

As in, the VAs sound more "off" and tired.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom