• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Preview of the XY Anime shown on special

This isnt the place to dicuss the TRio, your getting off topic.

My thoughts about the preview: Ash actually looks more mature :) I'm really excited for this series. I actually want Serena to get that birdie. I'm tired of seeing Ash get all the birds.

Also I guess TR is being serious again... With Wobbuffet! I wonder how thats going to turn out.

The TRio are indeed three of the most divisive characters of the series. I always knew they would be in the series, but I wasn't expecting them to actually be the ones behind the Garchomp rampage and I am not sure yet what to think about it.
I know Best Wishes isn't well remembered by many of you, but to be sincere, giving them something else to do and not making them have an obligatory appearence trying to steal Pikachu every episode was one of the few things they did right, at least in my viewpoint. If the same joke is told multiple times it starts to get annoying after a while and I think that's the weakpoint of their characters, they were overused.
I'm not a fan of their drone-like characterization from the beginning of BW either, but at least in their absense they stopped to yank minutes out of episodes they have no place in and the writers were forced to use other resources instead of just using Rocket attacks as the default problem maker/solver for everything. It gave a new breath of fresh air to the series I really enjoyed.
Personally, I think the ideal characterization for them would be a balance between serious and goofy, don't make them too obnoxious, but don't turn them into drones either. And to not go overboard with their appearences, the most annoying aspect of them prior to BW.
By the way, since they are the ones behind Garchomp and seem to be working under orders of Sakaki I presume they will retain some of their competence and will stop popping up everywhere, and that's good, but Wobbuffet's presence may also mean they will not be as emotionless as last time, which would be even better. In the end my greatest fear is the writers deciding to use them as primary threat through XY and shoving Team Flare to a corner like they did with Plasma in BW.

Please try and avoid dragging the thread off topic with posts about what you thought about the TRio's contributions in the past.

It seems that James was trying to have Froakie but the collar reaches the neck of Garchomp because he is positioned in front of him.

(For the TRio, I am sure they will act as a mix of funny-serious, if it is well written (better than BW2-BW2DA) it can be great. They can be very good while being serious, if they are developed, show personality and are not shown only focused on their missions all the time)

It is written on the official website that their main objective is pikachu. So the serious mission is likely to affect only the first episodes?

Last edited:
Gotpika said:
Plus TR have a tendency to drag the quality of an episode through the mud in more situations than one, selling candy in the Sinnoh League instead of Magmarashi battling rings a bell.

Well, I guess you're right. The Rocket trio didn't show up in the Isshu League, after all, and I think most fans would agree that it was the best League ever. I guess them not eating up seven minutes of screentime every episode really help...wait, people actually don't love the Isshu League? And a lot of them thought that it was actually the most bullshit League ever? Even though the Rocket trio wasn't there? That doesn't make any sense! Unless...say, you don't think that maybe, just maybe, the Rocket trio's actually *not* to blame for some of the series' more sucky moments? And that, despite so many people jumping to use them as the scapegoat every chance they get, that maybe they're not the cancer on the series that so many people make them out to be?

Naaaaaaah.

Lmfao did you like Da?? Cuz that is what TR were like in Hoenn and DP, they WERE a cancer to the series. In fact the only episodes where TR were semi bearable were Jessie's contest episodes and James's Poke-ringer episodes.

Why people want this version of TR back I have no idea. The writers proved that TR isn't totally worthless in BW only to revert to the same BS after episode N.

Enjoy your "comedy" people, cuz if you thought Da was unbearable(and that was only 20 episodes mind you) get ready for a whole lot of that same BS in Kalos.

Hope your guys enjoy it lol.

DA is good... Seems like people are just trying to convince themselves that Team Rocket ruin everything when Best Wishes managed to be terrible even with them missing for something like 100 episodes.

I find it shocking that people apparently prefer BW's poorly written plot over the filler which improved a lot compared to Sinnoh.

DA is good... Seems like people are just trying to convince themselves that Team Rocket ruin everything when Best Wishes managed to be terrible even with them missing for something like 100 episodes.
Yay, more BW shading, even though I said it TR's silly intrusions aren't exclusive to BW but is a problem in a lot of episodes of past seasons. Did I say TR ruin everything? No, I said they have a tendency to bring down the quality of some episodes when they're needlessly shoehorned in when it's obvious they don't belong. The Hitomoshi episode, that was an episode that couldn't have worked without TR appearing and they were integral to the plot and it was a really good episode, the Marilyn episode. What did TR contribute? Well they stole Marilyn's Pokemon...but what else? Brock's the one who got through to Marilyn about the whole point of a Pokemon's worth not being valued by its physical appearance with his interactions throughout the episode and teaching ways, TR could have easily been axed from that episode the outcome would have been the same. Except Pinpuku would have battled Shellder.

I find it shocking that people apparently prefer BW's poorly written plot over the filler which improved a lot compared to Sinnoh.
SlimeStack, please don't put worlds in my mouth.

EDIT:Whoops and an in-thread warning I didn't notice.

Last edited:
Yay, more BW shading, even though I said it TR's silly intrusions aren't exclusive to BW but is a problem in a lot of episodes of past seasons. Did I say TR ruin everything? No, I said they have a tendency to bring down the quality of some episodes when they're needlessly shoehorned in when it's obvious they don't belong. The Hitomoshi episode, that was an episode that couldn't have worked without TR appearing and they were integral to the plot and it was a really good episode, the Marilyn episode. What did TR contribute? Well they stole Marilyn's Pokemon...but what else? Brock's the one who got through to Marilyn about the whole point of a Pokemon's worth not being valued by its physical appearance with his interactions throughout the episode and teaching ways, TR could have easily been axed from that episode the outcome would have been the same. Except Pinpuku would have battled Shellder.

SlimeStack, please don't put worlds in my mouth.

EDIT:Whoops and an in-thread warning I didn't notice.

I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the other guy in the quote chain lol. You seemed to take that very personally...

Anyway my view is that bad filler is bad filler regardless of who is in it. Pre-BW has lots of bad stuff and BW's good filler is good whether TR is in it or not, because the writing is simply better than a lot of old fillers. I don't really worry about them appearing in every episode because Ash isn't exactly needed every week either, he's filling the quota just like TR are.

And yeah we'll have to call it quits here I guess which is a shame.

The point I was making in my most recent post is that the Rocket-Dan's presence or absence, by themselves, don't dictate how "good" or "crappy" an episode will be. There are good episodes with the Rocket trio and there are good episodes without the Rocket trio, and vice versa. It's all in the hands of the writers, and if an episode fails, the kneejerk reaction shouldn't be to instantly blame the Rocket trio because they're an easy target. I think Best Wishes! proved that they're not the secret ingredient that, if taken away, will suddenly cure the show of everything that ails it.

While I don't need them to be in every episode of Pocket Monsters XY (just like I didn't need them to be in every episode of any of the previous series), I do think they need to appear in at least enough episodes to make them feel like main characters again. That nonsense with them going a dozen episodes without so much as crossing paths with Satoshi and his friends makes them feel more like unimportant side characters than major players, and I don't want to see Citron and Eureka go their first half a year only running into them one time like Dent did in his series.

I also hope Pocket Monsters XY doesn't wait half a year before giving Kojirou his first pokemon.

I also hope Pocket Monsters XY doesn't wait half a year before giving Kojirou his first pokemon.

I do wonder how that's going to work out. As far as I know Inkay/Malamar seems to be the only one going to them isn't it? I can't see any promotion for any sort of duo for them. AG wasted no time in giving them Cacnea and Seviper (best capture in the history of the show on the latter btw), it would be horrible if they repeated Yamask's late entry.

They *could* make Wobbuffet Jessie's primary Pokémon, but it has a very specific battle style and changing Jessie/James/Meowth wasn't my favourite part of BW. :S

Gotpika said:
Plus TR have a tendency to drag the quality of an episode through the mud in more situations than one, selling candy in the Sinnoh League instead of Magmarashi battling rings a bell.

Well, I guess you're right. The Rocket trio didn't show up in the Isshu League, after all, and I think most fans would agree that it was the best League ever. I guess them not eating up seven minutes of screentime every episode really help...wait, people actually don't love the Isshu League? And a lot of them thought that it was actually the most bullshit League ever? Even though the Rocket trio wasn't there? That doesn't make any sense! Unless...say, you don't think that maybe, just maybe, the Rocket trio's actually *not* to blame for some of the series' more sucky moments? And that, despite so many people jumping to use them as the scapegoat every chance they get, that maybe they're not the cancer on the series that so many people make them out to be?

Naaaaaaah.

Lmfao did you like Da?? Cuz that is what TR were like in Hoenn and DP, they WERE a cancer to the series. In fact the only episodes where TR were semi bearable were Jessie's contest episodes and James's Poke-ringer episodes.

Why people want this version of TR back I have no idea. The writers proved that TR isn't totally worthless in BW only to revert to the same BS after episode N.

Enjoy your "comedy" people, cuz if you thought Da was unbearable(and that was only 20 episodes mind you) get ready for a whole lot of that same BS in Kalos.

Hope your guys enjoy it lol.

Oh no, don't be mistaken, I still think BW did lot of things wrong but TR wasn't one of them(well pre BW2N anyways). TR being gone from a lot of the episodes made the episodes they did get even better because we weren't all thinking oh god, it's TR again. We were actually interested in their plots for once.

I'm not blaming them for everything wrong with BW, I'm saying they were the one thing done right. Them not being shoehorned into everything was one of the best things that happened to them. I for once in the pokemon franchise was interested in their plots instead of fast forwarding every bs plot they came up with to steal Pikachu.

Also I have no problem with fillers(BW fillers were actually bearable). I have a problem with Da's BS fillers which brought back their BS plots to get Pikachu.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom