• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s really no reason to believe they’ll announce the game at E3 when there’s no precedent for that and they like doing their own thing (press event/Pokemon direct)

In addition, E3 is no longer as relevant as it was years ago.

Both May and E3 are too late to announce a new generation, as new generations require more marketing to give the idea that the game is new and not a remake or follow up games.

I agree that generation starters games are more benefited from a longer period hype-season. But even Nintendo (with their 6 months policy) has examples that shows you don't necessarily need such a long pre-launch hype season period to launch a big game.

I believe that in the case of Pokémon games, long hype seasons are still much more beneficial for some reasons, but I still think that having the trailer being released close to the live action could be as beneficial. I would like to hear Riley's reasons, to see if they are the same as mine, so I could show him why having the first trailer (trailer, and not teaser) being released close to the live action could be as good as a long hype season (or even better).

I don't think that the live action is going to be the big deal that you think it will be, since we have the first trailer for the movie now and hype for it has been pretty lackluster. And they really don't benefit whatsoever by making everyone wait until the movie is released in May to start the news cycle for games likely to release in November- especially with how theater ads play out. You get them at the start of the movie- so oh boy, look everyone, new pokemon games! Followed by two hours of film to make you forget all about it. Or they could put the ad after the credits but everyone walks out during the credits unless it's a Marvel film so there goes most of your audience anyway.

It was not lackluster. If I remember correctly, it ranked the first position in twitter's worldwide trendings topics, and got more views than the first trailer of Toy Story 4 (released the same day). The live action reception has been great so far.

And of course they could benefit from it. With live action they will have a much bigger showcase than any Pokémon Direct ever had.

If it be a great game, and if they show a great trailer, people certainly will not forget it so easily.

Last edited:
It’s the general direct he’s likely referring to
if generation 8 is set in England, is there any Dragon lore that could give us some really cool Dragons? I was underwhelmed by the last two generations dragons and am hoping we get some really cool dragons for this generation.

General UK is the home of western dragon and fairy lore, so if that is the region, we can expect a lot. Hopefully we can get some more traditional dragons and not wyverns for a change,

It was not lackluster. If I remember correctly, it ranked the first position in twitter's worldwide trendings topics, and got more views than the first trailer of Toy Story 4 (released the same day). The live action reception has been great so far. And of course they could benefit from it. With live action they will have a much bigger showcase than any Pokémon Direct ever had.

If it be a great game, and if they show a great trailer, people certainly will not forget it so easily.

I wouldn't measure views and trending topics as positive reception- a lot of the immediate reaction to the trailer was how creepy the pokemon looked rather than how excited anyone was to see pokemon in live action- which is what I mean by "lackluster." There hasn't been an uproar of hype like there has for other movies.

I feel like we are going to have an announcement, and at least some little bit of info before May or E3. I think it was okay for Sun and Moon to not get any concrete trailers dropped till May, after the announcement in February, because Sun and Moon was the second generation for the 3DS. X and Y's announcement could have been earlier because they are trying to get more 3DS sales out of the game, so having info early on in the year gives fans time to save up for a 3DS.

Meanwhile Generation 8 will be the first main series Pokemon game for the Switch. Yes, they did have LGPE, but there were many people who did not buy and play these games, and people who may be hardcore Pokemon fans, but not hardcore Nintendo fans, may not yet be in possesion of a Switch. My guess is they would release some info sooner, rather than later, to help start boosting more sales for the Switch.

In fact, I think Nintendo would be on Gamefreak for getting to it soon because now that the Super Smash Bros hype is dying (which was a big seller for the Switch), they need a new big game that will sell Switches. Pokemon is the next biggest thing. I mean, they have a Metroid Prime game in the works, and while it is a great franchise, it's not going to be too big of a Swtich seller, and Animal Crossing isn't going to be a Switch seller, and Yoshi isn't. Those are the biggest games I know of right now for the Switch, but none of tose series are really big switch sellers on their own. Pokemon, on the other hand, will definitely sell Switches.

Then again, I'm not sure how marketing works all the time. That's just my idea. I mean, if I didn't have a switch yet, and I saw new info on a Pokemon game, than I would be right on saving for a Nintendo Switch.

I wouldn't measure views and trending topics as positive reception- a lot of the immediate reaction to the trailer was how creepy the pokemon looked.

That's true. But from what I have noticed, people seem to have liked it (in general). I believe this movie will be a blockbuster.

It’s the general direct he’s likely referring to

General UK is the home of western dragon and fairy lore, so if that is the region, we can expect a lot. Hopefully we can get some more traditional dragons and not wyverns for a change,
Literature is also what the UK is known for, so we an also have something similar. I mean, they already have Decidueye in Gen 7 of which is based on Robin Hood. Perhaps there could be a Grass or Ghost Type Gym Leader in Nottingham who has one whilst dressed as Robin Hood.

XD Considering how most live action adaptations of anime go, I wouldn't count on it.

Heh, Pokémon is different. I think that having the title of the most watched Japanese animation movie worldwide to date shows us that.

Also, Detective Pikachu will have to compete with Hellboy, Avengers: Endgame, Aladdin, and possibly Shazam.
Live Action Disney Films today are just a lazy way of getting a quick buck from Nastalgia.

When people ask for Nostalgia, they mean 2D/3D animated films that have the heart. Not remake big hits? You could at least remake the films that didn't do well?

Literature is also what the UK is known for, so we an also have something similar. I mean, they already have Decidueye in Gen 7 of which is based on Robin Hood. Perhaps there could be a Grass or Ghost Type Gym Leader in Nottingham who has one whilst dressed as Robin Hood.

Exactly this is common knowledge, This is mainly why I want a UK region. Would be a good excuse to chuck in some more wizard like psychic mons too.

Even if Animal Crossing is a big system seller, Nintendo has shown that they can have more than one big system seller in a single year, with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey both releasing in 2017.

I hope we don't get a Dragon-type Pseudo-legendary for Gen 8. We've already had quite a few and 5 in a row.

I'd like to see a Bug-type or Grass-type Pseudo-legendary.

I agree. I think any type of psuedo legend would be better than a dragon type at this point, but a bug one would be really cool. I wouldn't mind them doing another dragon type one if they had a second psuedo-legend line to have a different type, like how Gen 3 has the Bagon line for a dragon type, and the Beldum line for a non-dragon type.

I agree. I think any type of psuedo legend would be better than a dragon type at this point, but a bug one would be really cool. I wouldn't mind them doing another dragon type one if they had a second psuedo-legend line to have a different type, like how Gen 3 has the Bagon line for a dragon type, and the Beldum line for a non-dragon type.

Good time for a Butterfly legend perhaps XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom