• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are going to get the title reveal and release date some time in February, possibly even next week, but I think we'll have to wait a few more months to get anything beyond that, just like with Sun & Moon.

I lack the optimism of a lot of others on this board - yes it's an annoying way of announcing stuff, but I can still see it happening. I can imagine the arguments, as GameFreak insists that they're saving the big reveal for E3, that a six month period of official teaser videos is more than enough, and in the meantime we should all just relax & take some more time to enjoy LGPE and all the hard work they put into it.
We’ve known about these games since June 2017. No reason to just reveal the titles at this point, a full-blown gameplay trailer would be better.

that's a good point, though since the figure is set to be revealed towards the end of feb, they could just show it off then have it feature in the next corocoro issue. the corocoro coming out in a few weeks could be the one that would tease exciting movie news
It would be a huge jip to make CoroCoro last for a movie reveal, though- the movies are like the only thing they haven't been cut short on for pokemon news, and they're going to make them the last ones to feature it? That's just plain giving CoroCoro the middle finger. =/

We’ve known about these games since June 2017. No reason to just reveal the titles at this point, a full-blown gameplay trailer would be better.
Which in turn could mean that nothing will be revealed in February, as the analogy with SM doesn't work.

I think we are going to get the title reveal and release date some time in February, possibly even next week, but I think we'll have to wait a few more months to get anything beyond that, just like with Sun & Moon.

I lack the optimism of a lot of others on this board - yes it's an annoying way of announcing stuff, but I can still see it happening. I can imagine the arguments, as GameFreak insists that they're saving the big reveal for E3, that a six month period of official teaser videos is more than enough, and in the meantime we should all just relax & take some more time to enjoy LGPE and all the hard work they put into it.
They didn't like the news drought for Sun and Moon, so I can't see them repeating it if they didn't like how it worked out the first time. And GameFreak never saves the big reveal for E3.

Someone commented that Nintendo is holding the announcement so as not to disrupt Let's Go sales, but I don't think that's what's keeping them from doing so. The sales "intensity" of Let's Go has already dropped a lot. An announcement now would have the opposite effect, instead of disrupting the sales, would increase them.

Let's Go games are also quite different. Ishihara said in an interview that he hopes the Let's Go games will sell for years.

I personally don't believe in an announcement happening now. But I'm sure Let's Go is not holding them back from doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo seems to be holding off on a number of announcements in general lately, outside of Yoshi which got a small tweet with a release date, we dont know anything about Nintendo's future first party releases.

We are long overdue for a standard Nintendo direct.

Nintendo seems to be holding off on a number of announcements in general lately, outside of Yoshi which got a small tweet with a release date, we dont know anything about Nintendo's first party releases.

We are long overdue for a standard Nintendo direct.

About Pokémon specifically, I've already said why I think they're holding it. But thinking about other hypotheses, the game may be released in November or December, and maybe that's why they didn't announce it in January, because it would be too far (uncommon far) from the release date (I don't believe that, just saying there may be other reasons for this happening, beyond the ones I believe).

About Nintendo in general, I think this is occurring for two reasons, because Smash just came out, and because they were probably solving the Metroid situation first, before the Direct. Of course, that's just my opinion. But I think it's safe to say that Let's Go would not make Nintendo hold their announcements, anyway (if that's what you mean(?)).

It's true that we have known about them being in development for a long time which is different from anything we've experienced before (or at least recently). However, I don't think that means that they won't just drop titles and a vague video on us like they did for Sun/Moon. It would be frustrating, and certainly S/M's vague reveal worked a little better because it was the reveal of those games being in development altogether, but that doesn't necessarily mean that GF themselves acknowledges that difference as significant.

Hi, sorry it took me a while, was shoveling snow, here's the tweet from Marcus that everyone is going nuts over and thinking its Pokemon gen 8:

View: https://twitter.com/Marcus_Sellars/status/1089960946838265856

TBH I highly doubt its Pokemon seeing there is far too many evidences stating that it will release this year.
If anything, IF and ONLY IF Marcus is credible (which he hasn't been for a long time) then it MAY be Bayonetta 3 seeing we heard little to nothing since 2017, not Pokemon Gen 8 (which was mentioned in most if not a lot of interviews about Let's Go). Anyways that is my 2 cents, cheers mates!

About Pokémon specifically, I've already said why I think they're holding it. But thinking about other hypotheses, the game may be released in November or December, and maybe that's why they didn't announce it in January, because it would be too far (uncommon far) from the release date (I don't believe that, just saying there may be other reasons for this happening, beyond the ones I believe).

About Nintendo in general, I think this is occurring for two reasons, because Smash just came out, and because they were probably solving the Metroid situation first, before the Direct. Of course, that's just my opinion. But I think it's safe to say that Let's Go would not make Nintendo hold their announcements, anyway (if that's what you mean(?)).

I agree with your statement fully with LGPE
Both Pokemon and Nintendo are holding stuff back.

I do recall in Resetera, they found proof that NSMBU was on the Switch servers a few months ago and Yoshi was done 6 months ago, so they must hold games and then decide when to release news of said games in regards to release periods.

I wouldn't be so sure... I think GF is gonna reveal the games through a proper trailer, even bigger than x/y one. Here's why:

• It's a new generation and its the first one on the switch. This means there are plenty of new things to announce. If past gens needed an 8 months marketing campaign then this gen will need at least 8 months too.
  • What we considered major spoilers for past gens may not be so in this gen. To be clear, most of the people are not waiting for these games because of new starters or Legends, those are important things in Pokemon history, but they belong to history and so there's nothing really shocking about their announcement (it's gonna happen at some point, we know that). I think people are waiting to discover how the franchise evolved on the switch, what will make these games different from the others. How it will be to play a real pokemon game entirely developped for a console. Those are the real reveals this time and imo those are the reveals they want to keep for next months.
  • Pokemon fans are not exactly in a good mood. Usum created a lot of discontent, Let's go games litteraly splitted fans souls. I don't think s/m initial marketing campain would be a good choice this time. It's been two years, we need to see something and they know that.
  • The announcement will unavoidably increase the switch sales. More switchs sold means more possibilities to sell games. It's in both Nintendo and TPCi interests to appeal people as much as they can since the beginning. X/Y trailer was not only made to present the games, it was intended as a console seller when the 3ds was in its first years (released less then 2 years before the announcement).

I wouldn't be shocked to see starters/legends/gameplay and some new feature/box arts and release date in the first trailer. This is what they should do actually. Just my opinion clearly.

Hi, sorry it took me a while, was shoveling snow, here's the tweet from Marcus that everyone is going nuts over and thinking its Pokemon gen 8:

View: https://twitter.com/Marcus_Sellars/status/1089960946838265856

TBH I highly doubt its Pokemon seeing there is far too many evidences stating that it will release this year.
If anything, IF and ONLY IF Marcus is credible (which he hasn't been for a long time) then it MAY be Bayonetta 3 seeing we heard little to nothing since 2017, not Pokemon Gen 8 (which was mentioned in most if not a lot of interviews about Let's Go). Anyways that is my 2 cents, cheers mates!

Cant be pokemon because the entire anime and merch thing release with it, multiple companies and businesses would be affected.

This isnt like when Gen 2 was delayed and we got the orange islands and whatnot.

I agree with your statement fully with LGPE
Both Pokemon and Nintendo are holding stuff back.

I do recall in Resetera, they found proof that NSMBU was on the Switch servers a few months ago and Yoshi was done 6 months ago, so they must hold games and then decide when to release news of said games in regards to release periods.
Is Pokemon really holding anything back at this point...? We're still on the early side for starting news, so it's not like we're running late there.

Cant be pokemon because the entire anime and merch thing release with it, multiple companies and businesses would be affected.

This isnt like when Gen 2 was delayed and we got the orange islands and whatnot.
Yeah. The anime and the merchandise are all planning the transition to Gen 8. Delaying Gen 8 into 2020 will mess everything up.

I personally feel that we will see some important, fresh news about the Pokemon game in E3 (June) this year. But I do not believe it will be the first Gen 8 news of the year.

Not only is there a supposedly Twitter countdown to the E3 event, but I think the upcoming Pokemon movie is an indicator too. When it releases in May, there will definitely be a lot of hype about the franchise everywhere (just like Pokemon Go was at first - probably not as extreme).

So I think it makes sense for the company to release some new information about the game in the following month (which would be June - which is when E3 is) whilst everyone is still talking about Pokemon and the movie.

I don't know, it's just a thought. What do you all think? :)

Last edited:
Have we talk about the possible bug type evolution stone and the possible bug type eeveelution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom