• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly was very impressed with Generation 7's starters and their evolutions, it was the first time my expectations were shattered and was surprised as a player, introducing a starter that looses its secondary typing and gains another upon evolution, and basing its final evolution off an extinct Hawaiian native species was something that really surprised me, it forever breaks the pattern for all future predictions now. . Also taking homage from Hawaiian wresting culture for Incineroar and the motive of the Selkie which isn't gendered like a mermaid plays nicely with Primarina. That level of thought and design consideration is what I would like for Gen 8 starters, would love to see them being based off the country they are representing and some thought into their design lore.

Gen 7 is so thought out and inspired. It probably helps that it was a smaller, but distinct region. I know exploration is really lacking, but it's one of the most immersive experiences I've had with a game. My only qualm is that I can't recommend between the originals or Ultra, as both have unique story beats and character development that enrich Alola and its inhabitants. Also, a third version which went into Solgaleo and Lunala's existence and shared evolution would have really helped cement a combined third version. There's so much we just don't know, which is both fun and frustrating.

Ultra Sun 2 and Ultra Moon 2 would be the ultimate troll :D
29244484_566404400389929_1481192915966361600_n.png

Agreed- B2W2 actually expanded the region significantly, didn’t retcon the events of Black and White, and offered an entirely different storyline that built off of the previous games- I personally found B2W2’s story weaker than BW’s, but the region expansions were really exciting and felt like a lot of new stuff to explore, and it again didn’t retcon the previous events. I felt like USUM undid all of Lillie’s character development- instead of confronting her mother and leaving to have her own independent adventure with her newfound confidence, her mother is just framed as being “the lesser of two evils” and Lillie goes back to living with her and gets a Clefairy? It really soured the whole experience for me, when there were some things I had enjoyed about USUM- I really liked the added scenarios that were scattered around the whole region, like the Dartrix that you return to its owner’s grandchild, or the Dittos you have to apprehend. Overall, it just felt way more like an Emerald-esque 3rd version that added some new features, changed the story only at the very end, and didn’t really deserve to be split into two versions.

Agreed. I usually don't agree with calling any of the main series games filler, but suddenly deciding to bring back third versions after 9 years, while having a switch game on the horizon definitely made it seem like USUM's only purpose was to hold people over for a bit.

That's the purpose of all typical third version games / remakes, while we get that to hold us over and distract fans, the next generation is already being developed and concepts completed. It's a giant cash cow that works.

For better or worse it's clear USUM was nothing more than a filler game. It was to give them a little more time to work on the Switch game and train their younger crew.

I'm guessing it may have set up a few storylines, as a way of easing into the Switch Generation. I don't think Ghetsis and Colress were given particularly relevant roles for nothing, especially considering they're from first second generation on the same console, that also contained the only direct sequels. I'm still holding onto my very broad thought that Unova had some leftover secrets thanks to the Abyssal Ruins King from 3000 years ago that would tie it into the time of Kalos and the war, as well as the Ghetsis/N story concerning royalty. If Ghetsis had just been in another room, that would be one thing, but he guarded Giovanni and interacted with characters outside the player.

I'm guessing it may have set up a few storylines, as a way of easing into the Switch Generation. I don't think Ghetsis and Colress were given particularly relevant roles for nothing, especially considering they're from first second generation on the same console, that also contained the only direct sequels. I'm still holding onto my very broad thought that Unova had some leftover secrets thanks to the Abyssal Ruins King from 3000 years ago that would tie it into the time of Kalos and the war, as well as the Ghetsis/N story concerning royalty. If Ghetsis had just been in another room, that would be one thing, but he guarded Giovanni and interacted with characters outside the player.

It's funny that you mentioned Colress, because as he's leaving Aether Paradise after the RR incident, he mentions that the different universes will be central to his next line of research. Whether or not we'll see him again remains to be seen, but that along with the Giovanni cliffhanger at the end has left something to think about for sure, at least to me.

I do also think it' kinda strange they went back to an enhanced version after some time, so it makes me wonder what they got up their sleeves.

I haven't been a fan of the starters evolutions recently. Usually, the evolutions are supposed to be an improvement. In gen 6, frokie is the only one that has a evoution that looks like an improvemnt. The other 2 look worse then their first stages. In gen 7, same with rowlet, but its an even worse case
The evolutions look like literal fursuits and they are way too humanoid. Even primarina looks more humanoid than the gen 6 starters
Its like they aren't trying to make the starters cool anymore
I hope with gen 8, the starters actualy are " cooler" like the first 5 gens rather than the ""personality"" direction the gen 6 and 7 staters are going
You can make a pokemon have a personality and not walk on 2 legs or wear clothes
This is entirely opinion. They really dropped the ball on the gen 7 starters. I even liked all 3 first stages

I haven't been a fan of the starters evolutions recently. Usually, the evolutions are supposed to be an improvement. In gen 6, frokie is the only one that has a evoution that looks like an improvemnt. The other 2 look worse then their first stages. In gen 7, same with rowlet, but its an even worse case
The evolutions look like literal fursuits and they are way too humanoid. Even primarina looks more humanoid than the gen 6 starters
I hope with gen 8, the starters actualy are " cooler" like the first 5 gens rather than the ""personality"" direction the gen 6 and 7 staters are going
You can make a pokemon have a personality and not walk on 2 legs or wear clothes
This is entirely opinion. They really dropped the ball on the gen 7 starters. I even liked all 3 first stages
I have to agree, I'm really tired of having things stand up in their final stages. It's almost getting predictable when you see a cute animal pokemon on all fours that it will inevitably stand up and be a man in a next or later stage. >.> Though Litten is by far the worst offender and nothing feels more awkward than the idea of a 10 year old walking around with Tony the mantiger- I hope Ash's torracat doesn't evolve or I will cringe ten times over.

Also if we can not do anything like the tongue scarf thing again? I will totally appreciate that. XD 'Cause... ew.

I think that could be because most fans initially assume that the evos are just going to be bigger versions of their pro- evos when that's never really the case.
The term itself means to develop gradually, especially from a simple to a more complex form.
The Alolan Starters probably present this concept in the most believable manner so far.
Rowlet goes from being a goofball- to a vain ass- eventually to an ironed out yet more tactful sniper.
Litten starts off emotionally withdrawn but slowly becomes more and more passionate until its "true self" comes through fruition with Incineroar.
Popplio is more about how seals where originally confused for what eventually became known as mermaids. Though it does become more confident.
This whole scenario is a case of truth in television. Most of us are probably very different than how we were a decade ago, so much so that we're unrecognizable from a persona standpoint. I'm sure as with every final evo we'll get hit with " Dude what happened" or " You changed alot" but that's just how things play out.

The Alola starters were the first time I actually liked gamefreaks "surprise" with the final evolutions.

In X/Y, they were way too humanoid for my tastes and I found them flat out ugly (with the exception of Greninja, who took a while to grow on me). S/M's starter lines are honestly really well designed (archer bird that uses it's wing as a bow is genius) and if future evolutionary lines for starters are like that, I wont complain about how humanoid they are.

Despite that though, with all the reboot and kanto rumors, I'm wondering if the starters for the next games will go back to the "it gets bigger" style of evolution, as it would be reminiscent of the early days?

The Alola starters were the first time I actually liked gamefreaks "surprise" with the final evolutions.

In X/Y, they were way too humanoid for my tastes and I found them flat out ugly (with the exception of Greninja, who took a while to grow on me). S/M's starter lines are honestly really well designed (archer bird that uses it's wing as a bow is genius) and if future evolutionary lines for starters are like that, I wont complain about how humanoid they are.

Despite that though, with all the reboot and kanto rumors, I'm wondering if the starters for the next games will go back to the "it gets bigger" style of evolution, as it would be reminiscent of the early days?
Without a doubt that's a hard no since they never really did.
Zard and Toise really look nothing like their younger forms with Saur being the only one that fits into the trope you mentioned.

Honestly, that'd be boring a bit. Every starter needs something unique to them rather than just be bigger versions. I mean look at the kanto starters. One grows, another cannons, and another a tree on it's back. Starter are always supposed to have major changes, bust staying similar enough to the point you can say "Look how much you've grown"

Yeah, people were in love with Fennekin. Same with Rowlet, although in a different way. I kept hearing about how Fennekin made people interested in Pokemon again since it was so relatively simple and cute. And then it evolved haha.
I feel like I am the only one who doesn't dislike Delphox :3

Also Serperior is my favourite starter but I can agree than Gen V had the worst overall set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom