• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Episodes better than new?

Most of the Johto saga was fairly dull.

I don't know why people are including Johto with the original seasons.

its really just a matter of opinion, and were you asking for a flame war or something? if you want to really started a flame war, then why not just start a sub vs dub discussion?

anyways IMO from watching the new black and white episodes, they are far better than the old ones, plus the artwork is much more clean.

I like OS better, even with the weird voices in the very beginning. Of course, that doesn't mean I dislike the later series.

Eh, there are a few episodes from the old series that I do enjoy going back and watching, but for the most part I prefer watching the Sinnoh episodes. I like the cleaner animation, the voice acting, plot, etc. and Sinnoh is just easier for me to watch. The only reason I'm not saying AG is that a lot of it is painful to go back and watch, don't have a reason why, it just is.

Wait a minute, what counts as a, "new season" at this point?

The current series is Best Wishes. Are we comparing the original seasons to that?

Likewise, how in the world is AG a, "new season?" I mean holy shit, AG began over 8 years ago for goodness sakes. AG is very old. Why is it considered, "new?"

I don't know why people are including Johto with the original seasons.

Maybe because Johto is apart of them. The OS consists of Kanto, OI and Johto.

I don't really like any series better than another since they all have they're high and low points. The writing has improved since the OS but I watched the OS when I was a kid so I can't really decide which I like better

Filtering out the trite episodes from each series, I personally feel they're all as good as each other.
Kanto has a lot of fun stuff and the first group were the most entertaining imo. But regardless, it does have an awful lot of episodes that are, put simply, a real chore to sit through. Just like every other series that followed.

#Daisuke# said:
It's all a matter of opinion.

No matter whether one thinks the old or new episodes are better, what's said above is true.

Wait a minute, what counts as a, "new season" at this point?

The current series is Best Wishes. Are we comparing the original seasons to that?

Likewise, how in the world is AG a, "new season?" I mean holy shit, AG began over 8 years ago for goodness sakes. AG is very old. Why is it considered, "new?"

Advanced Generation as a whole isn't even a season. Japan doesn't call it a season, and 4Kids and TPCI don't call that whole batch of nearly 200 episodes a "season" either.

Rex Kamex;2342640 [I said:
Advanced Generation[/I] as a whole isn't even a season. Japan doesn't call it a season, and 4Kids and TPCI don't call that whole batch of nearly 200 episodes a "season" either.

That's not what I was saying though.

I was asking why is AG considered, "new?" AG began in 2002 and ended in 2006. The saga started 8 years ago.

I don't understand for the life of me why you still see people referring to AG as a, "new saga." Do people not realize how old Hoenn is now?

That's not what I was saying though.

I know- AG isn't a new season. It's not "new" (newer, maybe, but definitely not newest unless you're in a country still airing AG as new episodes, which I highly doubt), but it's also not a "season."

All Sagas have their ups and downs in my opinion. Honestly I like them all.

The Original Saga had a lot of humor and good group dynamics. But it had an inconsistent plot with and sporadic development. Plus by the time Johto came we had so many fillers.

The AG Saga had some humor and a consistent plot was beginning to develop. I remember it talking a lot about love. There were a lot of episodes dealing with relationships. However they didn't do a lot with the evil team plot (yet they had a lot to work with) and the group dynamic was terrible. It was less of Ash/May/Max/Brock and more of May/Max and Ash/Brock.

The DP Saga really did good with characterization on most fronts. We got extremely good plots with rivals and evil teams and the battles were spectacular. However once again the group dynamic was sub par and I felt less humor in this series compared to others.

I'll wait to see how Best Wishes shapes up to be.

I personally like most of the anime up untill the DP era. I will watch the DP episodes, but they just don't seem as good to me.

Back when the anime was new, we were all much younger than we are now. As a result, many of us find the newer episodes less appealing as they are more or less the same in terms of quality, only they lack the nostalgic appeal of the older ones.

Back when the anime was new, we were all much younger than we are now. As a result, many of us find the newer episodes less appealing as they are more or less the same in terms of quality, only they lack the nostalgic appeal of the older ones.

People can be nostalgic for any season if they watched it long enough ago.

BW has the most coherent story of all the episodes. The writer is probably the best Pokemon has had.

Well, if you want to get anal about it, it's all from an episode to episode standpoint. I mean, there are both spectacular and horrible episodes from both the days of old and the present.

But generally, I prefer the more standardized structure the anime has developed over the chaotic one from the early years.

BW has the most coherent story of all the episodes. The writer is probably the best Pokemon has had.

All the writers for Best Wishes are the same exact people who wrote DP, and AG before that, and the older seasons before that.

Most of the writers of the show have been exactly the same people for over a decade.

All the writers for Best Wishes are the same exact people who wrote DP, and AG before that, and the older seasons before that.

Most of the writers of the show have been exactly the same people for over a decade.

A writer for BW is new, the one who worked on the first few episodes of Yugioh 5Ds. He left that and went to work on Pokemon, his work now surfacing.

A writer for BW is new, the one who worked on the first few episodes of Yugioh 5Ds. He left that and went to work on Pokemon, his work now surfacing.

Well that explains the newer poke anime eyes lol

But I couldnt find too much humor in DP aside from the pokemons

I like them both. Us older fans just prefer the old ones because of Nostalgia. Give it 3-5 more years and we will love Hoenn even more.

Us older fans? No. I'm with the older fan group and I still love the newer series better. D/P had better Ash rivals and character developement and I do prefer the animation now to than. AG was great too, it introduced contests to us and gave some pretty cool rivals for May and Ash got more epic as the series went on. I think I keep loving the series more and more as each new series comes and goes, right now I'm just loving Best Wishes. So yah, I like the newer episodes better.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom