• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Old Episodes better than new?

Gliscor'd said:
DP had a lot of great episodes, the problem is it was stretched out too long that people forgot most of them. If DP was condensed into only 3 years, most of the good stuff would be close together and people would remember.

I'm not sure about that. Plenty of people here seem to remember great events/moments/episodes from DP. Despite being stretched out for four years in one region, there weren't a lot of filler episodes in DP. I'm not sure how three years, as opposed to four, would have made people remember it more. I honestly liked that it was kept for four years since more events and battles were fleshed out, even though I wished that they gave the GF a couple of more episodes, and whatever they would have done for another year before Best Wishes came out would have been really rushed anyway. I could not see Ash making battle accomplishments and Dawn doing something involving Contest happening all within a year's time, especially with the way they were handling their battles in Sinnoh.

What is a, "new series fan?" There have been four different Pokemon series.

AG is a very old saga now. Even DP is kinda old now, especially the beginning of it. Best Wishes is the current arc.

I agree that AG is fairly old, but I don't see how even the beginning of DP is kind of old. That was only four years ago and the series just ended a little over a month ago. That wasn't that long ago in comparison to AG. Not to be mean, but Best Wishes is the current series, not arc.

Gliscor'd said:
I don't know why people keep counting everything after Johto as, "new." AG began back in 2002, over 8 years ago. It certainly cannot be considered new.

Johto is not the, "mid-point," of the series, the "mid-point" is probably mid-DP now.

Well, it could be new to the people who haven't seen the episodes from Johto or AG before. I'm not sure about that mid-point of the series either due to there being four different Pocket Monsters series with the same continuity and main character.

I think there about the same as i grew up with the older ones but still the new ones are still pritty good.

DP had a lot of great episodes, the problem is it was stretched out too long that people forgot most of them. If DP was condensed into only 3 years, most of the good stuff would be close together and people would remember.

That's funny, I don't see people forgetting about the Galactic Finale, the Hearthome Tournament, Ash vs Paul II, the Summer School or the Wallace Cup. It seems like the multi-part episode arcs make the moments a lot more memorable than you think.

But overall DP did have the least humor of all the sagas, (aside from some stuff with Croagunk, evil Togepi, etc.), and was heavily focused on battling.

That doesn't sound so bad to me. Humor took a backseat, but humor hasn't been a huge part of the show since Kanto anyway. We still got some funny episodes like Battling a Cute Drama or the lost Piplup episode.

All those tedious training eps for Ash and the appeal training eps for Dawn got boring after awhile.

You act like we got these every other episode. As far as I remember, those episodes usually had something else going on with the training stuff simply a backdrop.

That's funny, I don't see people forgetting about the Galactic Finale, the Hearthome Tournament, Ash vs Paul II, the Summer School or the Wallace Cup. It seems like the multi-part episode arcs make the moments a lot more memorable than you think.

The good stand-alone episodes are forgotten. Like the awesome Spiritomb filler, one of my favorites from DP that nobody remembers.

That doesn't sound so bad to me. Humor took a backseat, but humor hasn't been a huge part of the show since Kanto anyway.

AG had a lot of humor, especially in early/mid-Hoenn. The humor decreased around the start of Battle Frontier, excluding some of the things Harley did.

You act like we got these every other episode. As far as I remember, those episodes usually had something else going on with the training stuff simply a backdrop.

There were a lot of training eps in DP. A LOT.

The good stand-alone episodes are forgotten. Like the awesome Spiritomb filler, one of my favorites from DP that nobody remembers.

I remember that episode. I believe it was the first episode after trading Buziel and Aipom and it opened with Ash and Dawn training their new Pokemon in a practice match, which eventually caused Spiritomb to be released. It attacks a village or two, an old woman tells them about the aura guardian, says that Dawn was a Slowpoke in a past life and from there Team Rocket tries to get said Spiritomb, even though Ash and Pikachu eventually re-seal it. Just because an episode doesn't come up that often in discussion about the series doesn't mean that no one remembers it. There were just more significant events and episodes that took place during the course of the series. There isn't a lot of talk about that Chingling filler, but I don't think people have completely forgotten about it, or at least not everyone who has watched DP. Personally, I don't remember liking that Spiritomb episode that much. The only thing that I really liked about it was the legend with the aura guardian and the old woman imagining Ash like that guardian, or something along those lines, after he sealed Spiritomb away.

Gliscor'd said:
AG had a lot of humor, especially in early/mid-Hoenn. The humor decreased around the start of Battle Frontier, excluding some of the things Harley did.

I remember more rumor around mid/late Hoenn than in the early episodes. I don't really mind less humor in the later series. They still have some funny moments/episodes while still providing more intense and at times serious battles.

Gliscor'd said:
There were a lot of training eps in DP. A LOT.

I don't recall that many training episodes. Some were kind of dull, like Dawn trying to learn Ice Chancellor, but some were enjoyable or at least more interesting. Besides, I do kind of prefer seeing at least a bit of on-screen training, showing the trainers improving with their Pokemon than having them magically know a new move in their next battle.

No offense to Kanto/Johto fans, but I really do think the OS looked ugly. Everyone was disproportioned and the animation didn't look clean. I much prefer the newer digital animation. Much more cleaner and easier to look at.

Meh i never cared that much about animation.If show is good i accept it and for past days standards animation was pretty good back than.

It all depends if you are a nostalgia fan or a new series fan.

Nostalgia plays some part in it but its not the only reason.Many people liked different style of writing which took place before,enjoyed more in previous characters end their chemistry,liked fact of games not being followed so close finding older series more unique etc.

Once again, nostalgia can be applied to any season.

People who watched DP back in 2006 can have nostalgia for the start of it. Same for AG, which is actually very old now.

Nostalgia is not reserved for only Kanto.

Once again, nostalgia can be applied to any season.

People who watched DP back in 2006 can have nostalgia for the start of it. Same for AG, which is actually very old now.

Nostalgia is not reserved for only Kanto.

Truth. I'm one of the kids who grew up with Pokemon being popular (Because I'm 15, so yeah) And grew up with Kanto, but I find more nostalgia in AG than I do for Kanto.

Though I do have a whole lotta nostalgia for Johto, too. But not as much as for AG.

No there weren't.

There was a lot training that took place in DP, but it was rarely the center focus of an episode.

They made several episodes just for Dawn to practice Contest appeals. May's training was either extremely short or done off-screen.

Likewise there were tons of Ash training eps, Buizel to learn Ice punch, Gliscor with the Air Master, Staravia's Brave Bird, countless Chimchar/blaze eps, Turtwig's energy ball, Gible's draco meteor etc.

There were a lot of eps where Ash and Dawn would have practice matches against each other too.

They made several episodes just for Dawn to practice Contest appeals. May's training was either extremely short or done off-screen.

Likewise there were tons of Ash training eps, Buizel to learn Ice punch, Gliscor with the Air Master, Staravia's Brave Bird, countless Chimchar/blaze eps, Turtwig's energy ball, Gible's draco meteor etc.

There were a lot of eps where Ash and Dawn would have practice matches against each other too.

Well, considering that DP was 191 episodes, that isn't a lot.

Well, considering that DP was 191 episodes, that isn't a lot.

That's because all the other battle-oriented stuff took up most of the rest of it. DP had more competitions, even one-shot ones, than any other arc.

The whole old aspect of discovering the world of Pokemon was absent in DP. DP was all about training/battling.

Gliscor'd said:

That still doesn't sound like a lot of episodes, especially when most of the examples you listed, such as Staravia's Brave Bird, Chimchar's Blaze ability, Turtwig's Energy Ball and Gible's Draco Meteor, didn't take the entire focus of the episode. Gible's training was more like comedy relief by a certain point, Turtwig learning Energy Ball was overshadowed by other events like Aipom evolving and Ash catching Gligar and I believe the episode where Staravia was learning Brave Bird was the same episode where Dawn was challenging Maylene. The only training episodes that were the center focus of the episode were Buizel learning Ice Punch and Gliscor training to battle the Air Master again. I'm not sure if Chimchar trying to control its Blaze ability really counts since I don't think Ash actively tried to train it for that considering Chimchar would have to take a lot of damage in order to activate that ability.

As for Ash and Dawn having practice battles, we did see those every now and then, but they didn't really take the entire focus of the episodes either.

That's because all the other battle-oriented stuff took up most of the rest of it. DP had more competitions, even one-shot ones, than any other arc.

The whole old aspect of discovering the world of Pokemon was absent in DP. DP was all about training/battling.

Not to be mean, but DP is still a series, not an arc. It still felt like they were discovering the world of Pokemon in that series due to traveling to new place and seeing different Pokemon. There was a lot of focus on training/battling, but I don't think that was a bad thing. I thought that there were plenty of great battles throughout the series.

Old episodes verses the new are too slow paced. BW is not even in the 12th episode yet and Ash is almost done with his Pokemon party. How is that not better? Plus, I didn't like Brock tagging along doing nothing, while the main girls and their rivals take over the screens all the time. BW is such a big change. But I wouldn't trade that for a another episode of DP.

Simply put, if you ignore nostalgia (and please do for the moment) the animation and story progression as well as character development is way better in DP, and looks to be way better in BW. The animation alone makes it better. Sure it isn't Haramation, but that is another story.

Oh, if they used more CGI it would look cool though. It is possible to combine CGI and hand drawn animation.

I like both the old and new episodes. I have to agree though everybody else though... the battles have gotten way more intense in DP. I love it.

Simply put, if you ignore nostalgia (and please do for the moment) the animation and story progression as well as character development is way better in DP, and looks to be way better in BW. The animation alone makes it better. Sure it isn't Haramation, but that is another story.

Iwane.

That is all. We could talk more elsewhere. XD

Last edited:
Best Wishes is clearly an attempt to try to bring back that light-hearted Kanto vibe while having DP's battles and most likely plot.

As an old-school fan, I do like the older episodes better because of the nostalgia factor, but even I have to admit that the new series is superior in terms of animation, battle, plot depth, etc.

Can someone explain to me why people are passing off Johto as, "the original series?"

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom