• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anime Po

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anim

Seviper did have some character moments in the series, mostly back in AG when it was new.

Lickitung was probably handled poorly because the writers had no idea what to do with it.

Re: Personality & Development: Misty's Horsea: Reviewing the characterization of anim

I fully support analysing characters with little screentime (if you like the characters). But IMO you didn't need to bring in the theory of attachment stuff. Just describing the way you think Horsea really felt as a child rather would have been a lot more thoughtful and genuine than trying to fit Horsea into the mold of a psychological theory. I don't think we can understand characters or realworld people with a generalised outside perspective. We have to try and get inside their heads.

And also.. Consensus -could- mean harmony in society, but that's really not how people actually use the term, and why not just say harmony in society?

Would you rather me continue to always right about Pokemon like Pikachu and Psyduck who have clear perrsonalities? As part of my aim, I need to write about a character who appeared for 15 minites in like 6 episodes.

If the character doesn't have enough personality to talk about it, you don't talk about it. We have book reviews, we don't have paragraph or sentence reviews, if you catch the difference.

I have to say this was well thought out and deeply done analysis about Misty Horsea.That much development it had and personality traits he showed revealed how this pokemon had great potential to become very recognized and marketable pokemon in future if he stayed in cast.

I always thought it was a shame that Misty didnt kept it instead of Goldeen possibly evolving all the way to Kingdra in Johto(for whirl Cup perhaps)gaining on advertising value along with receiving some great development.

Personality? Development? Misty's Pokemon? Never heard those worsd in a single sentence that wasn't a joke.

Well there are couple of Misty pokemon which definitely showed personality having some development.
Like:dense and clueless Psyduck,
-mischievous Togepi who liked to wander away causing trouble and seeking out someones attention but it was also showed to be very friendly.
-Poliwag who was one of most developed Misty pokemon having confidence issues as Poliwhirl which she was able to restore back when helping him to find his strength when battling Andreas Poliwrath.It was also shown to be very loyal not wanting to fail expectations from Misty when battling or helping out.
Later by evolving to Politoad his personality changed becoming more enthusiastic and cheerful.
-Corsola was portrayed as stubborn at times pokemon having similar personality to Togepi being quite joyous.

Sometimes because of lack of screentime Misty pokemon didnt had chance to show more of their personality bu some of them definitely showed quirks which were unique characteristics for them.
And of course Horsea with analysis which was done about it explaining its personality he started to show for that little time he spent on cast.

Or better yet, Staryu or Starmie, who I don't know if they ever showed any feelings at all.

To be fair design of this pokemon and physical look of their bodies makes it very hard to portray some real emotions due to not having facial features.Best you could do is manipulating their voicing to get some picture of how they feel but thats about it.

But its not like its always needed for pokemon to show a lot of personality if he compensates for it in other areas and reason why people liked Misty Starfish pokemon was because of their design,wide range of attacks they have being very versatile and great in what they do best.Which is battling.

That was a joke, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom