• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Pronunciations

My friend pronounces Eevee evolutions strangely to me:

Him:
Vaporeon: Vay-por-on
Flareon: Flar-en
Jolteon: Johl-ten

Me:
Vaporeon: Vay-pore-e-on
Flareon: Flare-e-on
Jolteon: Jol-tee-on

I say swee-koon as well
Arceus - Ark-see-us
Rayquaza - Ray-kwaa-zuh
Gyarados - Gar-uh-dose (gar like the start of 'Gary')
Giratina - Gear-uh-teen-ah
Bonsly - Bons-lee
Pidgeot - Pidge-ee-ot
Raikou - Rye-koo
Ratatta - Rat-tat-taa
I have the feeling that I pronounce most of these wrong.

I hate when my little brother's friend pronounces Sceptile Skep-tile.

I pronounce Arceus Ars-eeus
Until Gible was introduced in the anime I pronounced it Gie-bul

I tend to trust an animé pronounciation for a controversially spoken word less and instead look to real word parallels.

For example:

* Miss-maj-e-us (not, Miss-mag-e-us)

* Patch-i-ri-su (not Pack-ir-i-su)

I also say:

* Rí-koo (not ray-ko)
* Ar-see-us (not Ark-ee-us)
* Swee-koon
* Pi-ge-ot
* Tro-pee-us (not Trow-pee-us)
* Bon-slee

Rattata- I always say Ratta ta (ta rhyming with bar). Some people say Rat tat tah.
Pidgeot- I say Pid gee ott. Not Pidgit.
Ponyta- In Pokemon Stadium they say Ponee tah. I say Pony ta (ta rhyming with bar)
Arcanine- I say Arc ah nine. In Pokemon stadium they say Arc+Canine (canines as in dogs and wolves)
Pokemon- I say Po kuh mon. Some people say Po kee mon or even Pock eh mon.

I don't really see the reason behind pronouncing Arceus "Ar-see-us" (That's what my little brother says), I've always thought of it as "Arc-ee-us". For the life of me I can't remember how they said it in the Jewel of Life... /=[

I would say go with the anime pronunciation, unless they're obviously wrong (Ry-koo and Pidge-it).

I'm going to think of all the Pokemon I can think of. This is how I pronounce them.

Dialga = Dee-Al-Ga
Arceus = Ar-See-Us
Giratina = Gear-Ra-Tina
Pidgeot = Pidge-Ee-Ott Video Proof
Gyarados = Gear-Ra-Dos
Rayquaza = Ray-Kwa-Za
Groudon = Grow (Ow as in like OW!)-Don Video Proof
Suicune = Swee-Koon Video Proof
Entei = En-Tay
Raikou = Rai-Koo
Lugia: Loo-Gee-A (This is how they say it in the movie, I don't know where the J sound came from) Video Proof
Kyogre: Kai-Oh-Ger
Jirachi: Jer-Ra-Chee
Deoxys: Dee-Ox-Sis
Cresselia: Kress-Sell-Lee-A
Darkrai: Dark-Rai

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom