• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Pronunciations

Arceus- I say ar-see-US but sometimes ar-see-is
requaza- Ray-QWA-zuh
darkrai- dark-rhy

I suck for not noticing this reply earlier. Oh well...

It's fee-own. It's similar to forme, and olde, among others, where the final "e" is silent.

It's fee-oh-nay because the name is derived from clione. Both PBR and the anime agree on this.

When I first started playing Pokemon, I pronounced Lapras La-PRAS. I don't know why, it was sort of hard to change over when I heard the correct pronunciation in the anime.

I always said Rat-tat-tat when I was little. I could never figure out Girafarig until I was ten.

Ratatta seems to have an issue with nobody knowing which people placing emphasis on different syllables.
Rayquaza sounds awkward when you pronounce it like a portmanteau of "ray" and "quasar".
Gyarados has problems with people pronouncing the first bit differently ("Gear" versus "Ge-arr").

Honestly, some of the names are just really awkward to try and say out loud.

I pronounce Rayquaza as: Ray-quah-zuh

I hate the anime's pronunciation. too many long A's

I hate the anime's pronunciation of Rattata too

mine is Ruh-Tat-tuh

Also I used to pronounce Raikou as Rye-Koo

Last edited:
Lol the most funniest way of pronouncing Suicune for me was

Su-cu-nei

I thought the i was silent XD!

Suicune: Swee-coon
Kyogre: Ky-oh-ger
Rattata: Rat-tat-ah
Rayquaza: Ray-quah-zuh
Dialga: Die-al-guh
Gyarados: Gair-uh-dos
Raikou: Rye-koo
Arceus: Ark-ee-us
Giratina: Jer-ah-tee-na

I doubt I actually pronounce any of those correctly. >___>

My Minnesota accent probably makes me sound like an idiot.

When I first started playing Pokemon, I pronounced Lapras La-PRAS. I don't know why, it was sort of hard to change over when I heard the correct pronunciation in the anime.

...How is lapras pronounced then? Thats the way i've always said it.

Also:
Rayquaza: ray-kwah-zah
Suicune: soo-ih-kyoon
Raikou: rai-koo
Gyarados: guy-ah-rah-dos
Arceus: ar-kay-us
Milotic: mill-oh-tic

And how is bonsly pronounced?

Arceus: ar-see-us or ar-say-us
Phione: fee-own
Gyarados: gara-dos
Gardevoir: gar-deh-vor
Suicune: swee-koon
Bonsly: bon-slee or bon-slai
Pidgeotto: pid-giot-to
Dialga: dee-ahl-guh
Kyogre: kai-org

How do you pronounce "Mightyena"?

Everyone, including me, pronounces it "Mighty-yena" (Might-ena?). But from the looks of it, it should be pronounced "Might-yena". Which sounds horrible.

I doubt I pronounce a lot of the Pokemon they way they should be.

I always say "Sue-e-ne"/"Sue-sue-ne" (different "sue"'s in the latter), for example.

Last edited:
Arceus: ar-see-us
Phione: fee-own-ee
Raikou: rai-koo
Gyarados: ga=ra-dos
Gardevoir: gar-deh-vor
Suicune: swee-koon
Bonsly: bon-slee
Rayquaza: ray-kwah-zah
Pidgeotto: pid-giot-to
Dialga: dee-ahl-guh
Kyogre: kai-o-ger

I pronounce gyrados gare-uh-dos and charizard char-iz-ard

When I was little I pronounced rattata rat-a-tatta, but now I pronounce it rat-atta

I miss-pronounced Arceus, Gyarados, Gardevoir, Rayquaza.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom