• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tbh i'm not really sure how i feel about the fact that the names of the games always tell you something about the game's plot nowadays. part of me wants to go back to gens 1-4 where the names were just random colours and gemstones.
I mean? X and Y just vaugly refers to the shape of the legendries, Sun and Moon just refers to the time of day, and Sword and Shield just refers to the weapons the legendries are holding. I hesitate to consider that... plot.

tbh i'm not really sure how i feel about the fact that the names of the games always tell you something about the game's plot nowadays. part of me wants to go back to gens 1-4 where the names were just random colours and gemstones.
I don't know how Black and White, X and Y, Sun and Moon, and Sword and Shield spoil anything. I don't even understand how Scarlet and Violet spoil everything other than what the colors of the Second Spanish Republic flag stand for.

I mean? X and Y just vaugly refers to the shape of the legendries, Sun and Moon just refers to the time of day, and Sword and Shield just refers to the weapons the legendries are holding. I hesitate to consider that... plot.
X and Y were also in reference to the axes as well since they were the first non-sprite games.

The games always have a red/warm color and blue/cool color. Even things as far removed from colors as letters and weapons. Haha Maybe only Black and White had no color? Because they even went back to the warm/cool thing with B2W2. And the lack of warm/cool was clearly due to the reboot they were trying.

There’s never anything of actual plot substance tied to the titles… it’s literally just two words of other opposing or complementary things that, especially starting with Sun/Moon, share parts of the name in both titles to make it a catchy-sounding and visually appealing pair.

The games always have a red/warm color and blue/cool color. Even things as far removed from colors as letters and weapons. Haha Maybe only Black and White had no color? Because they even went back to the warm/cool thing with B2W2. And the lack of warm/cool was clearly due to the reboot they were trying.

There’s never anything of actual plot substance tied to the titles… it’s literally just two words of other opposing or complementary things that, especially starting with Sun/Moon, share parts of the name in both titles to make it a catchy-sounding and visually appealing pair.
XD Actually, even with Black and White- look at Reshiram and Zekrom's eyes. They still snuck it in.

I think the only pair of games to really lack the warm/cool color scheme are Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee.

XD Actually, even with Black and White- look at Reshiram and Zekrom's eyes. They still snuck it in.

I think the only pair of games to really lack the warm/cool color scheme are Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee.
They do include yellow, though. Including the Eevee logo since it's more of a golden brown than a brown-brown.

Like I said before they've been calling back to Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow for the box art since Gen 3.

Considering the prominence of oranges and grapes, I feel like this was their way of rounding off all the basic colors, as we've had Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Black, and White, but no Orange or Purple. I feel like Scarlet and Violet are just their way of giving us the remaining colors, but with cooler names. Also, the PC outfits feature orange or purple depending on the version.

Basically, Scarlet = the missing Orange version, and Violet = the missing Purple version, but they didn't want to go with such simple and boring names, Scarlet and Violet objectively sound way cooler.

Considering the prominence of oranges and grapes, I feel like this was their way of rounding off all the basic colors, as we've had Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Black, and White, but no Orange or Purple. I feel like Scarlet and Violet are just their way of giving us the remaining colors, but with cooler names. Also, the PC outfits feature orange or purple depending on the version.

Basically, Scarlet = the missing Orange version, and Violet = the missing Purple version, but they didn't want to go with such simple and boring names, Scarlet and Violet objectively sound way cooler.
Orange and scarlet are two diffrent colors. Even if we're going by blood oranges, nobody thinks of the inside, they just think of the skin color which is orange. Like I know the name orange hasn't existed for that long in the grand scheme of things, but it was never called scarlet.

Also speaking of Pokémon Scarlet, that's been trademarked since 2008.

I mean both yellow and brown are warm colors. It's the only pair to not have a cool version.
I think the warm and cool colors are just a coincidence and it's more "we started this series with Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, let's keep using those colors in diffrent shades!"

Ah... yeah scarlet is a shade of red, not orange.

I think the warm and cool colors are just a coincidence and it's more "we started this series with Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, let's keep using those colors in diffrent shades!"
Actually I'd say the warm and cool colors are because they provide a contrast. It's a way to make two versions look distinct from each other, and also eye-catching when they're grouped together on a shelf.

Let's Go just relied on which giant, cute, easily-recognizable mascot you were gonna pick instead.

even then would you really take the time to collect 1000 pokemon
wouldnt it be a chore? especially with how tedious it was in the previous games
you have to move on from these things eventually
dude anyone tells you catch em all but there are people likes collecting pokemons like the same way collectazhon games
tedious why? the franchise itself its tedious to maintain a mainline series since almost 30 man thats also that was tedious but nobody realized that
and i will i moved on personally you have pokemon go to makes you "feel" national dex exists and having an significance

I really hope we get Legends' mechanics because it was much more enjoyable being able to just seamlessly nope right out of a fight by walking away from it. Like... such an improvement to the entire game experience by that one simple thing. Less hostility from the wild pokemon and it would be perfect.
nope please step away legends mechanics from me
core series be the core series mechanics

I don't care about the catching system, but I thought PL:A's battle mechanic didn't quite manage to carry over the chess-like quality that a good Pokemon battle can have in the classic battle mechanic. Like, I wouldn't call PL:A's battle bad, but it was certainly different.

I don’t see how anybody could think going back to the original catch and battle system would be a good thing.
Like it or not, Legends was a secondary main game. It would make sense to go back to the old turn base battle system for the sake of keeping the meta game balanced. At least they're keeping the the seamless battle transitions.

As for the catching, it makes sense from a "olden days" perspective. But with all the rules set in place like "you must battle a Pokémon before catching it." Just randomly lobbing balls at a Pokémon is probably illegal. At most they could turn it into sneaking up behind the Pokémon to surprise them so you can get an extra turn. Besides, Quick Balls exist in the future.
What's the difference between Red and Scarlet irl??
It's just a deeper shade of red. Like what people probably think about when someone says "red".

Also I completely forgot that it could also mean the flower scarlet pimpernel. Maybe it's both the colors and the flowers this time? Game Freak sure loves their plants.

Like it or not, Legends was a secondary main game. It would make sense to go back to the old turn base battle system for the sake of keeping the meta game balanced. At least they're keeping the the seamless battle transitions.

As for the catching, it makes sense from a "olden days" perspective. But with all the rules set in place like "you must battle a Pokémon before catching it." Just randomly lobbing balls at a Pokémon is probably illegal. At most they could turn it into sneaking up behind the Pokémon to surprise them so you can get an extra turn. Besides, Quick Balls exist in the future.
Honestly, keeping the catching mechanic seems like an intuitive addition to the gameplay. Having to enter a battle every time makes the game into an unnecessary slog when you should be able to just lob a ball at it. And it would better reflect the anime anyway, especially after a whole series of watching Goh ball spam everything in sight.

Honestly, keeping the catching mechanic seems like an intuitive addition to the gameplay. Having to enter a battle every time makes the game into an unnecessary slog when you should be able to just lob a ball at it. And it would better reflect the anime anyway, especially after a whole series of watching Goh ball spam everything in sight.
Goh spamming balls is probably because he's named after Go, though.

Goh spamming balls is probably because he's named after Go, though.
Oh that's definitely the reason for Goh's habit, but it's not like Ash and other main characters haven't caught anything without battling it first. Also the Safari Zone was a thing.

If anything, I'd think it would be considered more ethical to attempt capture without beating a pokemon up first, so a rule saying that you must fight everything would be kind of stupid.

The thing is I feel like just being able to lob balls kinda takes away from the catching experience, it's less interesting, which works in a game where your expected to catch multiple of every Pokémon but in a mainline game I just don't think it fits.
(That and I fear that the Arceus style catching would lead to it being too easy to constantly be under leveled like I ended up being in Arceus)

Edit: Constantly under leveled when you have no Incentive to catch multiple of a Pokémon I mean. If it's not the main focus of the game, I feel like a lot of people wouldn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom